Dartin for Divorce

-
Brake lines aren’t to bad til you gotta get the front passenger one lol. I always liked having a nice flaring tool makes world of difference.

Yeah, ain't making double flare brake lines fun? Not! Anyhow, with all the above suggestions I have another that's helped me over the years = a little brake fluid where the cone on the tool meets the line/area to be flared, sort of just helps a bit if for some reason the cone tries to turn as you're crimping, allows it to turn with the crimp versus not turning and putting a flat crimp in the double flare, which of course means "cut it off and start over".

I'll give this a try with the many other suggestions in a bit when I start working on the car. Right now I'm hanging with the kiddos. Also I'm watching Vikings, its a great show if you guys are looking for a good one to watch during quarantine

I'll give this a try with the many other suggestions in a bit when I start working on the car. Right now I'm hanging with the kiddos. Also I'm watching Vikings, its a great show if you guys are looking for a good one to watch during quarantine
cool, never too early to teach the kids how to pillage and plunder :thumbsup:

Yeah, ain't making double flare brake lines fun? Not! Anyhow, with all the above suggestions I have another that's helped me over the years = a little brake fluid where the cone on the tool meets the line/area to be flared, sort of just helps a bit if for some reason the cone tries to turn as you're crimping, allows it to turn with the crimp versus not turning and putting a flat crimp in the double flare, which of course means "cut it off and start over".

I've been trying this and have failed 2x so far on my first double flare of the day haha.

Brake lines aren’t to bad til you gotta get the front passenger one lol. I always liked having a nice flaring tool makes world of difference.

That one is done. Both of the front lines are done. I just started doing the first flare on the line that goes from the prop valve to the rear brake hose. Stupid flare makes everything take so damn long :BangHead::soapbox:, everything else is a piece of cake.

stupid flare tool broke....

Much like Clint Eastwood said, a man's gotta know his limitations. Me, I tried doing sharp bends to do the brake lines, and wound up with an exceptional solution just using my phone. Hello, is this In-Line Tube? Yes, please send me a full set of brake and fuel lines for a 69 Dart. Four days later the big box on the front porch is dancing around, waiting for its turn to attend the party.

Bummer deal

Yea the jam nut got stuck and I tried loosening it and the dang bolt started bending. Well let's see what they say at Oreillys.

Much like Clint Eastwood said, a man's gotta know his limitations. Me, I tried doing sharp bends to do the brake lines, and wound up with an exceptional solution just using my phone. Hello, is this In-Line Tube? Yes, please send me a full set of brake and fuel lines for a 69 Dart. Four days later the big box on the front porch is dancing around, waiting for its turn to attend the party.

Your solution is about 100 more than I spent, plus I'm learning how to do a new job... if I fail out of dental school I could always just get a job as a mechanic lol.

Edit- your solution was also much easier than what I'm doing haha

My brake lines are all bent, just need to make some flares on the rear lines.... each line is left with a couple inches of slack at the end to account for multiple flare attempts. They follow the original lines about 95% as I made a couple small tweaks to the routing in certain spots, that way I didnt have to make as many of the little "Z-shaped" bends.

20200519_151026.jpg

Do you have drum/drum or disc/drum brakes?
Yea the jam nut got stuck and I tried loosening it and the dang bolt started bending. Well let's see what they say at Oreillys.

Your solution is about 100 more than I spent, plus I'm learning how to do a new job... if I fail out of dental school I could always just get a job as a mechanic lol.

Edit- your solution was also much easier than what I'm doing haha

My brake lines are all bent, just need to make some flares on the rear lines.... each line is left with a couple inches of slack at the end to account for multiple flare attempts. They follow the original lines about 95% as I made a couple small tweaks to the routing in certain spots, that way I didnt have to make as many of the little "Z-shaped" bends.
I'll bet you will be first in your class! Your wife and kids will be proud of you no matter what you do and I think you got a 5 star rating from this group. Plus wait till you learn about uv light hardening epoxy nothing will stop you. lol
View attachment 1715531563

I've been at inline tube they make some great ss (steel also) lines and my hands don't hurt afterwards. Also they'll make about anything you need. Nice people.

2nd flare tool down!!! Little nipple broke... ill get another tomorrow. I only have 1 line left to put flares on then ill start installing everything and hope I don't have leaky brakes. I'm actually thinking of buying another 20in pre-made line because I don't like one of the flares on the line to the rear drivers side.

20200519_200855.jpg

20200519_201657.jpg

2nd flare tool down!!! Little nipple broke... ill get another tomorrow. I only have 1 line left to put flares on then ill start installing everything and hope I don't have leaky brakes. I'm actually thinking of buying another 20in pre-made line because I don't like one of the flares on the line to the rear drivers side.

View attachment 1715531763

View attachment 1715531764
Braking all the flaring tools in town. When I said the passenger side brake line was a fun one I should’ve specified installing it. Your almost done flaring the idea of getting the 20” pre flared is what I do for my rear housings.

Braking all the flaring tools in town. When I said the passenger side brake line was a fun one I should’ve specified installing it. Your almost done flaring the idea of getting the 20” pre flared is what I do for my rear housings.

Well my rears are both done its just the drivers side has the 1 flare that I'm not super happy with. I can't cut it anymore due to the fact that it would be to short, so a 20in 3 dollar line may be the best way to do that one.

Moral of flaring brake line story...

If you're doing all of the steel lines on your car or multiple cars buy a good flaring tool!

or buy the prebent lines...lol

Yea or buy the prebent lines.... ill be done with them tomorrow and if I would have bought the prebent ones it would have been much more expensive and I'd still be waiting...

Plus, how the hell else would I get in the garage to get away from the easy on the eyes but nagging in the ears wife? :rofl:

Edit- when I'm not in skool anymore and have more monies I'm for sure going to be buying prebent lines lol.

Chamfer the tube before the initial flare operation. It gives the tool a little head start.

2nd flare tool down!!! Little nipple broke... ill get another tomorrow.
wow, either those things are made out of potmetal, or you must be real fun doing a root canal :rofl:

i've had the same style set for over 30 years

Chamfer the tube before the initial flare operation. It gives the tool a little head start.

Thats what I've been trying. Then when it starts to get a little offset bent I use the body work hammer and tap it back a little. That's actually how I broke the little nipple off of the flare attachment.

wow, either those things are made out of potmetal, or you must be real fun doing a root canal :rofl:

i've had the same style set for over 30 years

I'm telling you dentistry is much easier for me than some of this stuff lol. But I also think the new tools are not close to as good of quality as the old stuff

I'm telling you dentistry is much easier for me than some of this stuff lol. But I also think the new tools are not close to as good of quality as the old stuff
It amazes me how the dental process mimics autobody repair or vise versa. We grind and glue. Pretty sure we use the same tools. And the chemicals taste the same. lol

-
Back