Dartin for Divorce

-
@j par I scrolled through your thread on the ac... do you have power steering as well?
No I wanted mine in the power steering area so it would be more hidden. If you want to put right up front in the stock position which I like to call the holy cow nice AC compressor position you can..

Doc, I got some bad news for you. We have a number of similarities that are no good for you, mostly because being like me is a poor plan for anyone, even on a good day. We have 69 Darts, we are forever working on them with only a vague idea going into it what we are doing, we travel the Dark Passages of the Rabbit Hole, (at least for this weekend) we live in way-too-hot locations (100 here, which is enough to make me cry Uncle 15 degrees ago), and now dinner is waiting on the smoker to do its thing. I have a rack of baby backs that went on an hour ago, which means dinner won't be ready till 9 or 930. I'm getting by on peanuts and beer till then.

DSCN0590.JPG

No I wanted mine in the power steering area so it would be more hidden. If you want to put right up front in the stock position which I like to call the holy cow nice AC compressor position you can..

I "have" a stock ac right now, but it doesn't blow any cold air. Fixing it is definitely on the to do list.

Doc, I got some bad news for you. We have a number of similarities that are no good for you, mostly because being like me is a poor plan for anyone, even on a good day. We have 69 Darts, we are forever working on them with only a vague idea going into it what we are doing, we travel the Dark Passages of the Rabbit Hole, (at least for this weekend) we live in way-too-hot locations (100 here, which is enough to make me cry Uncle 15 degrees ago), and now dinner is waiting on the smoker to do its thing. I have a rack of baby backs that went on an hour ago, which means dinner won't be ready till 9 or 930. I'm getting by on peanuts and beer till then.

View attachment 1715578872

Like long lost brothers. We had a good dinner tonight. Buddy brought the jalepeno poppers. Wife cooked some home made Mac an cheese, home made baked beans, mashed potatoes, cupcakes and this cheesecake thing. Im stuffed, and will probably die of a heart attack one day from eating so unhealthy :icon_fU:

Also "having a vague idea on what we are doing" is a very huge overstatement when talking about me. :rofl:

20200815_173839.jpg

You just did it recently right? Blowing cold and having no problems? Putting any extra stress on the engine?
Yes you can check the dates on the thread just recently..
Blowing very cold need to turn it down on low sometimes....
Putting strain on my 410 dual-quad Stroker... ?.. not hardly LOL...

Yes you can check the dates on the thread just recently..
Blowing very cold need to turn it down on low sometimes....

Touche. I need one of these stroker things you speak of... one day. Its added to the list. :D

20 years ago I worked as a salesman at a Dodge dealer. I guy traded in a Geo Metro for a new Ram 1500. On the drive with the used car manager, determining trade-in value for the Metro, he reached over & turned on the AC. It literally threw us forward! The AC was about as much as that little 3-cylinder could handle.

Oh I don't have one because we haven't had it up since like 3 days after I put it up... that was about 1yr ago...
Doc you can pester 70AAR as he has a few of those kits laying around . When you qualify you can have his family on a dental plan no charge as payment for a few rounds .:poke:

Doc you can pester 70AAR as he has a few of those kits laying around . When you qualify you can have his family on a dental plan no charge as payment for a few rounds .:poke:

Yea he has just "a couple" of the stroker kits. Its funny when he talks about "finding" an extra engine, transmission or some big engine part that he forgot about having. That's life goals right there.

On fixing your ac, the issue is it came from the factory with R12 which is hard to come by.
You cannot just charge your ac with the more common R134, it will cause issues with the compressor, and the oil is not compatible.
I would change to a modern sanden compressor, add new lines, condenser and drier.
Flush your stock evaporator out, you should be on your way to cold ac.
I have been looking at the stuff these guys sell, to fix the factory AC in a Duster I just bought.
Its about $950.oo to replace everything under the hood, the bracket for my slant is stupid expensive at $350, but the small block ones are alot cheaper.

Products: Air Conditioning - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

On fixing your ac, the issue is it came from the factory with R12 which is hard to come by.
You cannot just charge your ac with the more common R134, it will cause issues with the compressor, and the oil is not compatible.
I would change to a modern sanden compressor, add new lines, condenser and drier.
Flush your stock evaporator out, you should be on your way to cold ac.
I have been looking at the stuff these guys sell, to fix the factory AC in a Duster I just bought.
Its about $950.oo to replace everything under the hood, the bracket for my slant is stupid expensive at $350, but the small block ones are alot cheaper.

Yea i tried the -
Empty old r12 from system
Add pag oil
Add r134a...

Didn't work for me, but then again I probably did something wrong haha. The cold master kit comes with everything you need to add ac I believe, it also comes with a sanden compressor, all for 500ish.

I also have my stock ac brackets, if those don't work I'm pretty sure I have a couple zip ties left in the tool box. :poke::D

Yea i tried the -
Empty old r12 from system
Add pag oil
Add r134a...

Didn't work for me, but then again I probably did something wrong haha. The cold master kit comes with everything you need to add ac I believe, it also comes with a sanden compressor, all for 500ish.

I also have my stock ac brackets, if those don't work I'm pretty sure I have a couple zip ties left in the tool box. :poke::D
Stock AC brackets will not work, I would buy the brackets in the link I posted, they are like $150.00, unless you feel like fabricating something.
Myself I am at the age, I want to bolt something on, instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Stock AC brackets will not work, I would buy the brackets in the link I posted, they are like $150.00, unless you feel like fabricating something.
Myself I am at the age, I want to bolt something on, instead of re-inventing the wheel.

I'm at that age too... not having the "correct" tool also puts you in that age group faster as well.

I'm at that age too... not having the "correct" tool also puts you in that age group faster as well.
I have all the tools to fabricate, plus a full machine shop at my work, plus my uncle has some nice machining equipment in his garage, so making something is not the problem, the issue is time, I don't have much of that, and too many projects.

I have all the tools to fabricate, plus a full machine shop at my work, plus my uncle has some nice machining equipment in his garage, so making something is not the problem, the issue is time, I don't have much of that, and too many projects.

Time is always the thing we need more of but never have a way to get. I'm sure with the tools and knowledge it wouldn't take to long to do though right? This is just me assuming though, and usually when I assume I'm wrong lol.

...I would change to a modern sanden compressor, add new lines, condenser and drier.
Flush your stock evaporator out, you should be on your way to cold ac...
exactly what i did on the 74'. replaced everything north of the firewall and used the Bouchillon brackets. the other stuff i pieced together myself and had a mobile A/C guy come over to make the hoses and charge it. everything in the cabin stayed stock and it worked great

how far you've come Padawan :thumbsup:

Make sure all lines are super tight with no leaks or air able to get in.
Bench bleed master cyliner before installing....
Make sure mc rod isn't to long...
Make sure the bleeders on the calipers are on top...
Adjust rear brakes very tight, the pads should be dragging on the drums...
Bleed brakes from passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front...
If all this doesn't work, then you have a bad MC or...

@kursplat haha I was wondering if someone would say something about that post. Having soft brakes sucks, and I fought with them for a while.

I totally understand now when people say don't just replace 1 part, replace the whole system and ensure it works properly. Sure you may be able to get away with replacing 1 part and it working for a while, but sooner or later (most likely sooner) the old parts that were not replaced are going to fail.

Kinda like repainting a car. You're not going to have your car properly repainted if you don't fix the dents and dings first. Or repainting a car without stripping the old paint and laying new primer down.

-
Back