Dash lights go out

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
74 duster and the dash lights work when I put the park lights on, but when I put the headlights on the dash lights go out,i bought a headlight switch and grounded the cluster any ideas?
Thanks

Believe it or not, "no" I don't.

You are saying you changed the switch and still have the problem? What condition is the HL switch connector in?

The HL switch gets power from TWO sources. ONLY the HL gets power from the ammeter splice, NOT FUSED

The power for dash, as well as tail and park comes FROM the tail and park fuse. MAKE SURE the park lights are actually still working.

Through the switch, through the dimmer control, and OUT TO THE instrument fuse. From that fuse, off to all the dimmer controlled lamps

So with the park lights on, and working, check for power at the inst. fuse, on both ends. Then turn on the HL and recheck there at the fuse. As I said, also recheck that the tail / park are actually staying on / working

Is this a running driving vehicle or a heap you're playing with ? Just guessing here... The battery is so weak that when headlights use up available current, the dash light go so dim you cant tell they are still live.

It's a running car, starts right up

I'm clueless. Please post what fault(s) you find so others will know what to look at when they have a similar problem.

-
Back