Dash Pad Removal Kit...lol

-

2kids

Reaction score
So 1/4 of the way through bending my body into a pretzel to get the old horrible/crusty dash pad out I have an epiphany and break out the sawzall.

lol....it wasn't pretty but it worked pretty dang good I must say!

Darcy

Attachments

• dash_pad_removal_kit (800x360).jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 951
I removed both front seats in my 68 Barracuda when changing the upper and lower pads,also changed the heater core.I think I,m still hurting from contorsionist acts.LOL

So 1/4 of the way through bending my body into a pretzel to get the old horrible/crusty dash pad out I have an epiphany and break out the sawzall.

Darcy

That's a crusty dashpad??? This is a crusty dashpad....

View attachment 1 006.jpg

I'm waiting for it to come out on it's own in a million little pieces :)

That's a crusty dashpad??? This is a crusty dashpad....

View attachment 246221

I'm waiting for it to come out on it's own in a million little pieces :)

Wow,that is bad.

I just bought a 67 Barracuda that was originally from California that has a dash pad look like it erupted in two different places...really odd looking.

I just spent 6 hours today replacing the one in my Dart with pretty good success.Did'nt break any pins off on the gauge cluster and no bandages were required although I did manage to split a seam in the front seat which spoiled the perfect job.:neutral:

I'm not sure how a sawzall helps get the cap out without scaring the dash. It surely wont help with the reinstall.
I do have to get down on one knee at the drivers doorway briefly. Take one screw out of the fuse box and move it slightly. Push the little button that releases the light switch stem and disconnect the speedo cable. Everything else I can do sitting in the seat(s).
Tar too much practice I guess. Good luck with it.

Darcy

LMAO!!! while your method is surely faster...re-installing that puppy is going to be a serious venture...trying to get all those pieces to line up...and the glue you will need a tone of it!!! LOL

On the serious side...if you are using someplace like JUST DASHES, they charge quite a bit extra when there is no usable core.... they refurb the cores and that is what they market & sell, without a core they lose potential inventory, and the cost goes way up. just sayin

if you already have a replacement that is in good shape, then hack away! BUT remember things that are removed like that leave the re-install "instructions learned from removal a blank page" making it a much more difficult and time consuming task...again just sayin

Dash not scarred - used the fold and cut technique...hahaha.

Yes, I do need a new/used pad - hit me up if you have one.

Now on to the instrument cluster....I'll keep the sawzall put away for that one!

Dash not scarred - used the fold and cut technique...hahaha.

Yes, I do need a new/used pad - hit me up if you have one.

Now on to the instrument cluster....I'll keep the sawzall put away for that one!

unfortunately...my experience with used pads is that they are pretty much in the same or similar shape as yours started out to be OR they are whole and appear nice but are brittle as those Belgium thin wafer cookies! I have tried several and everyone of them has cracked during installation.... while expensive I strongly suggest a new repop OR use a brittle one and a dash cap...either one presents well ( dash caps are much less expensive but appear a little "altered" IMO)

good luck

PS I will check my inventory I had a really nice new black one for a duster, but I cant remember if I sold it at a swap meet or not....I will take a look over the weekend IF you are interested let me know, because I prefer to not dig thru a ton of stuff in a very hot shed if you are not seriously interested ....
Laysons sells the repop " original "whole dash pad for $325 the solid urethane repop goes for $295, the cap sells for $72....all of these prices do not include the shipping...... I will let my whole original repop go for $200 plus the ride if I can find it? I am in the 48082 zip
let me know, have no pictures but it brand new still in the box, soft & supple just like originals.... sorry I do not have pics but I intended to sell it at a local swap and it is tucked away with a ton of other stuff...if you are serious I will dig it out and take pics
let me know weekend starts tomorrow LOL

Wow, I'm seeing people say they had to use sawsalls and others say it took 6 hours.

It only too me maybe 30 minutes tops to remove my pad in my 72 duster the first time! ( no saws used either lol)

LOL!!!

I remember driving mt Dart with a HORRIBLE dash pad. My mother used to peel away the dried up parts while I drove her around. Eventually it was peeled back to just smooth foam.. I bought a dash cover from the paddock and it looks pretty good now.

unfortunately...my experience with used pads is that they are pretty much in the same or similar shape as yours started out to be OR they are whole and appear nice but are brittle as those Belgium thin wafer cookies! I have tried several and everyone of them has cracked during installation.... while expensive I strongly suggest a new repop OR use a brittle one and a dash cap...either one presents well ( dash caps are much less expensive but appear a little "altered" IMO)

good luck

PS I will check my inventory I had a really nice new black one for a duster, but I cant remember if I sold it at a swap meet or not....I will take a look over the weekend IF you are interested let me know, because I prefer to not dig thru a ton of stuff in a very hot shed if you are not seriously interested ....
Laysons sells the repop " original "whole dash pad for $325 the solid urethane repop goes for $295, the cap sells for $72....all of these prices do not include the shipping...... I will let my whole original repop go for $200 plus the ride if I can find it? I am in the 48082 zip
let me know, have no pictures but it brand new still in the box, soft & supple just like originals.... sorry I do not have pics but I intended to sell it at a local swap and it is tucked away with a ton of other stuff...if you are serious I will dig it out and take pics
let me know weekend starts tomorrow LOL

Thanks for the info and offer. I would have you look only if you're sure the duster pad will fit the 71 Dart swinger - guessing it does. I'm at 98225 so maybe you could let me know how much you charge for the shipping first as well.

LOL!!!

I remember driving mt Dart with a HORRIBLE dash pad. My mother used to peel away the dried up parts while I drove her around. Eventually it was peeled back to just smooth foam.. I bought a dash cover from the paddock and it looks pretty good now.

Nice!

Thanks for the info and offer. I would have you look only if you're sure the duster pad will fit the 71 Dart swinger - guessing it does. I'm at 98225 so maybe you could let me know how much you charge for the shipping first as well.

It appears as though they are exactly the same from 69 thru76 and for both dodges and plymouths:

Layson's Restorations
Dodge
Swinger
IP-DPA6976V Top Dash Pad - Black - Vinyl Wrapped version
69 -76 A-Body
$325.00

Plymouth
Duster
69 -76 A-Body
$325.00

Dodge
Dart
69 -76 A-Body
$325.00

As far as the shipping goes I will charge you what UPS charges me, no more no less, BUT I have no idea at this time what that might be?
The pad is in the shed and I would have to take it to a UPS place have them measure it and weigh it and punch in your zip before I could tell you EXACLTY what the shipping would be from my zip to your zip....
in the mean time I am guessing at somewhere around $30 but that is only a guess and NOT a commitment on shipping costs - might be a lil more might be a lil less at this time I dont know, but if a 10 - 15 more or less is a deal breaker for you, let me know now so I am not wasting my time.
Not being a dick, just sayin I am not going to dig it out, box it up, take it to UPS to measure & weigh it, get a price, come back online and tell you exactly what it is and have you say TOO MUCH I'll keep looking thanks anyway.....just not worth it to me...so if 10-15 more or less is a deal breaker let me know NOW
thanks
66cuda

-
Back