Dash paint

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
1970-72 darts .

The dashes are seemingly painted close to the body color but textured & matte finish . What paint do you suggest I get to do that ? I'm trying to paint ours black .

Here is what I used and I am currently doing another one. Same as the black out on the hood of this car

DSCN1698 (3).JPG

dus2.jpg

DSCN1251.JPG

100_0008 (2).JPG

I think that the 71 Duster 340 was the best package Chrysler produced. If it wasn't for all the gas bull we had to put up with back then, I might still have mine. I moved 50 miles from work and needed a more economical car, so pretty much gave it away in 1980 to buy a new Honda Civic.

I've used Herb's Parts interior paint before & was very happy with the results. Not super cheap, but worth every penny. I think their paints are as close to factory Chrysler color paint as you can get in a spray can. I'm sure there are others but that is what I used.

I fully understand what you are trying to achieve. My 72 Demon has a B-5 blue exterior and blue gut. The dash almost collects paper fibers if I wipe down the metal painted surfaces because it is so rough. I’ve yet in 40 years of this hobby be able to recreate that texture. It’s is almost like heavy metal flake was applied then blue flat over that. Not all dashes were like that either. I’ve owned a few one owner ABodies with all different types of coating from the factory on them. Some smooth and some rough and in between. Maybe quality control was dependent on how many beers the painter had the night before.

I fully understand what you are trying to achieve. My 72 Demon has a B-5 blue exterior and blue gut. The dash almost collects paper fibers if I wipe down the metal painted surfaces because it is so rough. I’ve yet in 40 years of this hobby be able to recreate that texture. It’s is almost like heavy metal flake was applied then blue flat over that. Not all dashes were like that either. I’ve owned a few one owner ABodies with all different types of coating from the factory on them. Some smooth and some rough and in between. Maybe quality control was dependent on how many beers the painter had the night before.
Yeah, the suede baltic blue on my 69 had the same painter.:rolleyes:

When I color painted them years ago I would add flattener to the paint. The more you added the more texture you would get. It was like a white chalky cream in a small can. Today just take the old part to a auto body supply shop . They snap a picture and mix it up. The paint I mentioned above is the best I have seen . Wax or water drops do not show up at all and you can wipe it clean with no streaks . The best I have ever used on Hood treatment, scoops , spoilers, dashes, or black interior parts is what I posted above. It matches the black stripes on a Demon Gas cap perfect and even has the same reflective qualities as the stripes when using it for black out.

When I color painted them years ago I would add flattener to the paint. The more you added the more texture you would get. It was like a white chalky cream in a small can. Today just take the old part to a auto body supply shop . They snap a picture and mix it up. The paint I mentioned above is the best I have seen . Wax or water drops do not show up at all and you can wipe it clean with no streaks . The best I have ever used on Hood treatment, scoops , spoilers, dashes, or black interior parts is what I posted above. It matches the black stripes on a Demon Gas cap perfect and even has the same reflective qualities as the stripes when using it for black out.
Thanks! I remember the product it was called “egg shell” and the more you added the more flat it got. Tough part is for me with color is I’ve never used it on anything else but black as a flatting agent.

On my 66 with the Red gut I sprayed the top of the dash with color and dusted with baby powder. It toned down the shine but is close to factory but still not 100%.

Thanks! I remember the product it was called “egg shell” and the more you added the more flat it got. Tough part is for me with color is I’ve never used it on anything else but black as a flatting agent.

On my 66 with the Red gut I sprayed the top of the dash with color and dusted with baby powder. It toned down the shine but is close to factory but still not 100%.
I don't know if you can get it today. Its been a long time. But I am sure an old body supply store with an old school mixing guy would know how to mix that paint up for you.

69/70 Baltic Blue Metallic Suede!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

IMGP1526.JPG

Last edited:
Hey 1969383S,
Still searching for Baltic Blue Swede formula for my '69 Swinger dash frame! Looks like you found the match, who mixed your paint and what did it cost you? Found someone at TCP Global but wants $270US for a pint!! Appreciate any info you can provide!

Hey 1969383S,
Still searching for Baltic Blue Swede formula for my '69 Swinger dash frame! Looks like you found the match, who mixed your paint and what did it cost you? Found someone at TCP Global but wants $270US for a pint!! Appreciate any info you can provide!
Thats what you get for being Canadian!!! Nuts ain't it!?? I feel bad for you guys.

Our local PPG store mixes that dash paint in the suede. I think a pint last year was about $75! YIPE!!

I like what Oldmanmopar says about his receipe for black as the suede I have used does not easily clean up. The big thing on the dash is that it is NOT GLOSSY as that make glare and glossy on dash just looks funky!

Well that's more reasonable! Alot of the resto suppliers are taking advantage of the popularity of these cars and are charging over the top prices plus I've got to add 30% exchange. Guess it is what it is.
Would you good enough to provide me with the name of your PPG shop you used and a contact? I'll ring them up to see if they can ship something up to my US mailbox.
Thanks Rocco

I used tintable rapture bed truck liner. I tinted it with a color that matched my original dash very well. I reduced it 10 %. I was pleased by its closeness to the original suede finish. Used a spray gun with a 2.0 tip.

Around 25 years ago I had a restoration guru paint my dash frame. I gave the guy the Ditzler paint code out of the '69 Factory Service Manual. He had a local paint supplier convert the Ditzler number to PPG and mix it up. My dash came back matching my steering column which still had the original paint. And yes it has a rough texture feel to it that is part of the paint code mixture.

Paint codes.jpg

Console auto 1.jpg

@Oldmanmopar , can you share a picture of the front of that paint can, i would like some more details about that paint, i need to do my hood, scoops,and gull wing.....

Hey 1969383S,
I purchased from TCP Global back in 2013. One Quart, + the hardener and reducer did not cost that much to my memory! Seems to me it under $100. I will try to go back through my receipts tomorrow and check.

The quart was enough for the Dash, and Steering Column. Enough left for touch up if needed.

chrysler corp used lacquer type paint , you should be able to get some spray can paints to do the job , i did this duster dash with lacquer spray cans , shot it dry and the texture will just happen .

DSC00352.JPG

DSC00353.JPG

-
Back