David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncle Tony makes bold claims and doesnt back any of it up .The people who defend him are worse than he is for supporting him passing off bad information as fact.

Last edited:
Do I get hero of the year status if I post the details of a oval track build I did a decade ago? That made over 1 HP per cube, 421 horsepower if I remember correctly, with iron heads, a 1.92 intake valve, a two barrel holley and.....get THIS...a .420 lift hydraulic flat tappet?
So you do build motors that Don't make sense from horsepower per dollar spent. Did that motor win any big races?

So you do build motors that Don't make sense from horsepower per dollar spent. Did that motor win any big races?
typical short track hobby/stock class rules, that dont necessarily make since from a hp perspective witch happens alot in circle track!!! takes more than a engine to win, theres the hole car, team effort, and driver in play, and the rest of the field to contend with....DWB

For sure. Not all builds are about what makes the most sense. It's the challenge that gets you hooked. It starts in an office with a piece of paper wadded into a ball and someone declaring " I bet I can make this into that waste paper basket across the room" and a co-worker saying " I bet you can't". We all know he could walk across the room and place the paper in the basket and be assured to not miss. But where is the fun in that?

Last edited:
Do you think Tony knows something Vizard and Dulcihch doesn't? Dulcich built a 400 HP 318 but no one ever talks about it .It wasn't low buck enough and neither will Vizards build be... anyone who listens to Tonya and believes him is a fool. Sorry that is fact. Tony has the back catalogue of failure to back that statement.

I think RAMM summed it up pretty well. I didn't watch Tony's videos, he's a hack, nothing more or less. His nut swingers think there is going to be some revelation, some secret that only Tony knows and is going to share with them that'll allow them to make big power with (a 318) junk parts at near zero costs. Here's the revelation, it's not going to happen! If it did a hack like Tony wouldn't be the one to do it.

Vizard is a sharp character and an even better self promoter.

If a guy was going to try to make decent power with a 318, throwing out the fact that junk yard 360's cost the same as junk yard 318's, wouldn't he be better served starting with a Magnum?

Take all of this for what it cost you.

Yeah, I can't help myself--good ole drama.

I fell for the '302 hype ONCE--They really remind me of the Ford 302 JUNK. Both are exceedingly bad at making meaningful power. Meaningful in this case is 350+HP. These characters know this which is why they have set the bar below that (350hp). Now if the plan keeps evolving with better parts, better fuel, etc... Don't be surprised when the numbers top 400hp and the general viewership forgets about all the moved goal posts along the way--If this plays out like I think it will-

-They are counting on people focusing on:
1. They've done the impossible with just a 318
2. They've done the impossible with "stock" 318 heads
3. They've done the impossible on a "budget"
4. Nobody but "this elite group of geniuses" could accomplish this great feat so you better keep Liking & Subscribing

Point 4 is easily the most important to them
I disagree with point 4, Vizard writes plenty of books explaining how he does things. Not like he's trying to hide knowledge, not AT ALL. As for porting 302 heads (or any heads), I have no illusions that I can pick up a grinder and match what any decent head porter can do. However, watching someone go through a set of heads and explaining what they're doing at least gives a starting point to anyone who's interested in learning how to port. Or is that supposed to be some secret reserved for some of the head porters who get so bent out of shape when other people post videos explaining how to do it? I'm not talking about UT, he is a hack... but DV is certainly no hack, and I kind of doubt AW is.

I think RAMM summed it up pretty well. I didn't watch Tony's videos, he's a hack, nothing more or less. His nut swingers think there is going to be some revelation, some secret that only Tony knows and is going to share with them that'll allow them to make big power with (a 318) junk parts at near zero costs. Here's the revelation, it's not going to happen! If it did a hack like Tony wouldn't be the one to do it.

Vizard is a sharp character and an even better self promoter.

If a guy was going to try to make decent power with a 318, throwing out the fact that junk yard 360's cost the same as junk yard 318's, wouldn't he be better served starting with a Magnum?

Take all of this for what it cost you.
That's why Tony isn't doing the build - he had to find someone who actually knows what they're doing to do the actual build :)

Yeah you just aren''t going to do it with a 318 cheap with the common parts laying around in the junkyards. The engines are in the yards for a reason. wait and see what this Vizard build transpires into and then add it up what it would cost...that's what pops the baloon for most guys with any sense. Vizard will up compression with the pistons(or closed chamber heads? the 302s being worked on in florida?) but he will still have to rev it and have the top end flowing. the 72 318 heads Tony anted up wont cut it. i dont care how hogged out they are and that 2 barrel and intake will have to go also. If the goal is to be acheived.300 plus horsepower.

Last edited:
That's why Tony isn't doing the build - he had to find someone who actually knows what they're doing to do the actual build :)
Judging from his past failures it was probably a good move on his part.

I disagree with point 4, Vizard writes plenty of books explaining how he does things. Not like he's trying to hide knowledge, not AT ALL. As for porting 302 heads (or any heads), I have no illusions that I can pick up a grinder and match what any decent head porter can do. However, watching someone go through a set of heads and explaining what they're doing at least gives a starting point to anyone who's interested in learning how to port. Or is that supposed to be some secret reserved for some of the head porters who get so bent out of shape when other people post videos explaining how to do it? I'm not talking about UT, he is a hack... but DV is certainly no hack, and I kind of doubt AW is.
its not that its a secret but if one were to actually grind up a set of heads, wouldnt they want a flow benc to see what their grinding was actually doing or if it actually is working? it is common knowledge that most guys screw a set of heads up grinding on them because they dont know what they are doing and the engine runs worse or drinks more gas. In short someone here could watch Vizard all they want without the flow bencha dn the same tools and equipment including the knowledge they wont acheive the same resutls. Vizard went to college to know whet he knows. yeah hes willing to pas some of it on why? it doesnt matter now these engines are 60 year old technology. Vizard graduated college 60 years ago...most here tear their engine down dick areound with a grinder and dremel then tell their brother in law "yeah it has some port work done..." its all bullshit...car runs like the same turd it always was...brother in law in the passenger seat saying "it isnt any faster than last time I was in it...LOL!

Judging from his past failures it was probably a good move on his part.
look up "Infamous 318 give away" on Lunar outlaws channel. Listen to the whole thing but the smoke show starts 7 minutes in....that engine was a fail. It was high school auto shop level mistakes across the board. No excuse for Tony there.

Do you think Tony knows something Vizard and Dulcihch doesn't? Dulcich built a 400 HP 318 but no one ever talks about it .It wasn't low buck enough and neither will Vizards build be... anyone who listens to Tonya and believes him is a fool. Sorry that is fact. Tony has the back catalogue of failure to back that statement.
that build been talked about a plenty!! one thing the magazine didnt tell, them 302 heads that flowed a magical 240 cracked up on the dyno and become water spickets... not knocking dulcich, he probably knew it was gonna happen!!

This 318/302 thread......... not unlike every other 318/302 thread.

Throw UTG into the mix........ and what happens is exactly what you’d(I’d) expect to happen.

Meaning....... 10+ pages of :mad:

Tony doesn't make me mad I do like spreading the word of what a fool and fraud he is (the only mechanical skill he has is dismantling cars to sell the parts) . People are catching on, others it takes a while. But its like 21 year olds and DUI, there's a new crop of dummies stepping up every year .

Do you think Tony knows something Vizard and Dulcich doesn't? Dulcich built a 400 HP 318 but no one ever talks about it .It wasn't low buck enough and neither will Vizards build be... anyone who listens to Tonya and believes him is a fool. Sorry that is fact. Tony has the back catalogue of failure to back that statement.
Dulcich has built 4 different 400 hp 318 combo's and one 425 hp 318, anytime people bring it up a bunch will say it's magazine nonsense that it's untrue.

I don't think this build is for UTG he's got one video on it, Tony has 276,000 subscribers David has only 18,700 This it's to help David to get some of Tony's if anything. So far Tony seems to have little to do with it.

EDIT: this is in NO WAY directed at anyone in general and certainly not at kdeboy. It is my thoughts on exactly what I knew would happen. I’m not disparaging kdeboy, his knowledge, his talent or anything else. It just happened that he was the first one to articulate this position.

I just want to be clear on that. This is NOT a shot at you kdeboy. It’s my explanation of what the consequences of a build like this can and will be. I don’t want to see guys spend more money to make less horsepower. I absolutely HATE that.

So you think you can “grab a grinder” and match what a “decent” head Porter can do? Sorry but that’s just cRaZy talk.

Unless by decent you mean you can grind some metal off and not junk the head. Otherwise, there is a HUGE difference between what someone does with a grinder who actually gets paid to do the grinding and does the testing that goes with it.

You also exposed EXACTLY why I’m bitching about this cockamamie, idiotic build. It appears you are of the belief that with a grinder and some secret squirrel **** you can take a 302 casting and make it make power like a casting with a 340 port. THAT AIN’T HAPPENING.

There isn’t enough materiel in the 302 casting to make the ports the size of a 340 port head BEFORE you grind on the 340 head.

And that’s EXACTLY what I’ve been saying. Who in the world wants to do what Servideo got smoked into? Who wants to put 40, 50, 60 hours in grinding, testing, studying the data, thinking, more grinding, more testing and for what?

In the end you could have started with the better casting, done a nice valve job and do maybe, MAYBE a few hours with a grinder to fluff and buff a few things and you’d be far, FAR better off doing that than slaving over those garbage 302 castings.

Again, that’s nucking futs. And that’s my point. Why are they wasting time with 302 castings and port work? We all KNOW that you can’t hardly give away 1.88 valve 340/360 castings. No one wants them because by the time you install new guides, hard seats if they need them, cut the guides for seals and all that you can get a set of SpeedMaster heads.

There is no magic in standing behind a grinder for HOURS and HOURS and then repeatedly going to the flow bench to test. It’s not only physically idiotic it’s mental masturbation.

Again, this has been my point from the jump. Starting with a 302 casting is stupid and it does a disservice to anyone who may want to copy all or part of this build.

They didn’t save any money with the 302 castings. In fact, they wasted money and time all to make LESS horsepower.

The only thing I can think of is this: the guys on the cheap with 318s ( I say this because people used to give me LA 318s and A 904s for free or cheap 20 years ago) believe that with a little of Uncle Tony's voodoo magic that they can have a runner that will keep up and run along side a 340. They just haven't ever proven it . Uncle Tony gives a glimmer of hope when he makes bold claims like with this "Vizard Build" as I now call it. Every 318 guy out there is thirsty for the secret, thing is there is no secret except get the bigger displacement engine.
i agree with rat bastid I cant stand the disinformation either. Nothing has changed really since the 80s or 90s in terms of the LA engine. I would recommend any young guy today start with a magnum and build it when on a budget. The 302s as far as I can tel are a closed chamber head so slap them on an LA and you may raise compression a couple ticks the ports from what I understand are still small port 318 ports.

Last edited:
Cant open the link? Is it in the N&P forum? Other than that I don’t know why your link doesn’t work.

Your knowledge verses money is a sad tale. Why not have both.

Stupid and poor is much more acceptable than being the smartest guy ever in the history of the world and being dirt poor.
Correct. Theory versus practice. Someone feeding and clothing themselves and having a few good classic cars beats the bum on the street corner reciting Shakespeare.

One things I have NEVER claimed to be is an engine builder/blue printer guy. But the last real Mopar swap I went to was back home in SW Missouri 6-7 year ago. There was a guy with his enlosed car trailer selling oem small block Mopar heads, all cast numbers, he must have had 3 dozen pairs.......$15/ pair!!!!!!! Must be a reason!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back