David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
..and those "itsy -bitsy" valves and dismally low compression making 140 HP at 3200 rpm...and that torque curve ughh..are you serial...? :)
You sound like the spark plug douche who said putting v power plugs in would give you 5 tenths.

Everyone just go throw your slant6,273 and 318s in the garbage because the experts said so,hell throw all the 383,400 413 426(wedge) and spend 8 grand on a stroker 440! Oh yeah never build a stock stroke 340 or 360 either all trash because the experts said so you guys are delusional.
Your only allowed 408, but 360 is permissible. /6 273/318 are junk, 340 must be sold to fund 360/408. Even though there no replacement for displacement big blocks are a no go to big and heavy.

..and those "itsy -bitsy" valves and dismally low compression making 140 HP at 3200 rpm...and that torque curve ughh..are you serial...? :)

Oh, he’s serial alright but he’s actually cereal.

Like corn flakes cereal. Or maybe Grape Nuts cereal.

Take the 220 cfm & multiply by 2 for the layman’s approximate HP potential would be of course 440 hp. Now the trick is to get the intake and carb up to meet the goal.
Best post after 13 pages and it was the 3rd one. Its amazing what a tiny port can do with such a small valve.

Its always good to go to other forums and see what other people do so as not get caught up up in the "Echo chamber" that is FABO.

Here's an interesting post over @ SpeedTalk. Raising the port roof on a head worth it or not - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

A Buick friend of mine two weekends ago in his 3500 lb boat with a NA 450 or so cid Nail head motor broke into the high 10s, while only spinning to 6500 rpm.
I ported these heads near 20 years ago now so I know exactly what they flow.

Where taking on average @28" 215 cfm on the Intake and between 150 and 162 cfm on the Exh side, the difference being 2 ports on each head having to deal with a head bolt boss.

If you should ever get a chance to look at one of these heads and the ports they have you would be pulling your Chin hairs in wonderment that they could even power a car into the 11s!

So it's not just about air flow, in these heads from the burn pattern and lack of any signs of fuel wash these darn Nail heads chambers combined with there strange Intake valve bowl shape are very good at making power with the air and fuel amounts that they do receive

The Moroso slide rule shows 480 HP to run 10.90's. So with that Airflow its making 2.23 HP per cfm.........talk about efficient.

Guess you don't need all that Airflow if you can figure out how to "utilize" what you already get.

Last edited:
Its always good to go to other forums and see what other people do so as not get caught up up in the "Echo chamber" that is FABO.

Here's an interesting post over @ SpeedTalk. Raising the port roof on a head worth it or not - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

The Moroso slide rule shows 480 HP to run 10.90's. So with that Airflow its making 2.23 HP per cfm.........talk about efficient.

Guess you don't need all that Airflow if you can figure out how to "utilize" what you already get.
That is pretty good most street and strip type builds eg.. 10:1 cr 240 @ fifty etc.. Get about 1.8-1.9 hp:cfm from what I've notice.

That is pretty good most street and strip type builds eg.. 10:1 cr 240 @ fifty etc.. Get about 1.8-1.9 hp:cfm from what I've notice.
A very knowledgeable local guy will build you an engine that's less cubes than a 318 has smaller valves than a 318 head with a head port volume around a 318 head that he says is an every day driver that will run mid to high 11's 1/4's @ 112-115 mph with a 3000 RPM converter and 3.5 gears @ a peak 6000 RPM.

That's probably in a car that weighs 3200 LBS so just under what a valiant weighs. To hazzard a guess the cam would most likely be a hydraulic and in the 220's for duration.

What you give an engine and what it uses are 2 vastly different realities.

A very knowledgeable local guy will build you an engine that's less cubes than a 318 has smaller valves than a 318 head with a head port volume around a 318 head that he says is an every day driver that will run mid to high 11's 1/4's @ 112-115 mph with a 3000 RPM converter and 3.5 gears @ a peak 6000 RPM.

That's probably in a car that weighs 3200 LBS so just under what a valiant weighs. To hazzard a guess the cam would most likely be a hydraulic and in the 220's for duration.

What you give an engine and what it uses are 2 vastly different realities.
All and good, but most are stuck with using what they can order out of a parts catalogue.

All and good, but most are stuck with using what they can order out of a parts catalogue.
All I can do is shake my head in disbelief...........

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief...........
Well to me your not being very clear with your points, It seem your post #311 was saying a well tuned combo can do a lot with little ? And I guess people are overdoing it with eg. Cam heads etc.. ?

Which I'm just pointing most can't highly optimize their combo, they have to make do what's available with little to no mods.

And also I think your whole point overall is 318 heads are capable to do what DV is trying to do which I don't think anyone is saying they aren't. It also seem your saying 318 heads are more than capable for most builds like say 450 hp and less ? And you might even been saying there better than 360 heads ?

To all of FABO:

I am writing to express my dismay and concern over Mr. Hysteric’s frightful perversions. But first, let me pose you a question: Is Mr. Hysteric actually concerned about any of us, or does he just want to pour a few drops of wormwood into our general enthusiasm? After reading this letter, you’ll certainly find it’s the latter. Before I continue, let me state that knowledge and wisdom are Mr. Hysteric’s enemies. He understands that by limiting education and enlightenment, he can fool more people into believing that he has an independent mind, rigorous intellect, impeccable credentials, and a record of excellence and integrity. Sadly, those with the least education are those who would benefit most from the knowledge that to say that Mr. Hysteric’s claims won’t be used for political retribution is crabby nonsense and untrue to boot. In case you don’t know, Mr. Hysteric is trying to mute the voice of anyone who dares to speak out against him. His mission? To exhibit a deep disdain for all people who are not vagarious, incoherent palookas.

I’m sure you get my point here. If you believe nothing else that I’ve written about Mr. Hysteric, you can believe this: Mr. Hysteric plans to demand that Earth submit to the dominion of scary slanderers by the end of this thread. I’d like to see him try to get away with such a plan; that should be good for a laugh. You see, most people have already observed that Mr. Hysteric’s brainless, mindless chicaneries lie at the intersection of obscurantism, neocolonialism, and academicism—the standard troika of abusive thought. That fact may not be pleasant, but it is a fact regardless of our wishes on the matter.

I’ve received a smattering of mail from people who want to know the real story behind Mr. Hysteric’s prurient artifices, so here it is: What I wrote just a moment ago is not the paranoid rambling of a froward wacko. It’s a fact. While self-justification may motivate mordacious, ophidian rubes, the same campaigns of malice and malignity also work well for cantankerous, acrasial hypochondriacs. Let me carry my thoughts on this subject a bit further. We must show Mr. Hysteric that we are not powerless pedestrians on the asphalt of life. We must show him that we can build a true community of spirit and purpose based on mutual respect and caring. Maybe then Mr. Hysteric will realize that he ought to tone down his destructive behavior. He’ll never be cuddly, but he can decidedly be more polite. Everything I’ve written in this letter amounts to this: Mr. Hysteric’s oppugnant criticisms are merely the newest fruits of a decades-long, relentless assault on civil discourse and intellectual independence.
I wish all 3 of you dudes would go away, tired of the bs and back and forth. Where’s a mod when you need one!

They could have used a 360 head with a 1.88 valve and not spent all that time turd buffing.

Its crazy to tell everyone you are on a budget and you want to make power and then use heads like that and then port them.

Thats cRaZy
The whole point of this experment is to take stock 318 block crank pistons heads intake and carb just as it came out of the car and see what type of power it can produce I have not paid that close attention to whats been going on because it don't interest me that much

Happy Christmas to everyone on A-BODS!

Yep like most I've been 'cheating' with a 452ci (440) and 906 heads to run low TENS!
But retirement has meant a lean budget and a totally knackered back...

So its S/B's for me from now on and the hard-arse talk on the 318 has got me all revved up!
Yep I was gonna cheat with a 360 bored to +60 to make a massive 6 litres, but a 318 is somehow Coolio...

Maybe I could get a TEN with a boat anchor 273?
I would mean a lean Christmas dinner and mucho metal removal outta my Duster...

Must get down to 2500lbs.

these-dragsters-really-blur-the.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back