Dead thump

-

aa-1159

Reaction score
How do I tell if the distributor is going bad, changed plugs and wires. New coil
Motor sounds like someone is on the inside randomly hitting it with a hammer
360 30 over
He is a picture of plugs i removed, less than 100 miles

16571206511182978036969523480648.jpg

That engine looks to be very rich, possibly oil fouling, and has some weird fuel distribution problems. Distributors don’t really go bad. The bushing can wear and the replacement parts can wear.

Cyl kill meter is the best way or a scope if you can find some one with one. Do the compression test first.

#5 also. How was it running before making any changes. Pictures of the old plugs would help.

Is you rotor pushed down all the way?
Is it the motor or cap you hear the noise from.

Last edited:
Motor, just replaced rotor and cap
I'd see if I could bring a cyl to tdc, pull cover and then attempt to push the valve down more... n see it it will open more or if its hitting the piston.
Could just be spark knock.

Does it sounds similar to run on?

Give us a little more to go on here. What is the timing (initial, and total) set to? Does it advance smoothly and at what rpm? This could be as simple as having 5 and 7 spark plug wires crossed. Pics of the engine with the air cleaner removed please.

Sounds like an internal engine problem, or, something loose or hitting....like flex plate/flywheel/converter/crank pulley/etc.... I've never heard a distributor have a hammer type sound.

They all appear to be running on the rich side except the one that is almost pure white. I would be looking at that cylinder, checking compression, valves, cam etc. First make sure that cylinder is firing.

Holley carb?
White plug could be coolant leak into that chamber, steam cleans the plug.

I thought this was gonna be about the dead body in the trunk that wasn't quite dead.

Found problem
Thanks for all the advice
Even though I replaced distributor cap and rotor,
New cap had hair line crack
Rotor was tracking due to carbon from miss firing

-
Back