Dear Automakers, Build something to last more that 60k miles.

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I just had to spend $600.00 to fix my daily driver. Last week, while idling around the farm, in 1st gear, I broke a leaf spring on the right rear of my truck. Now this is a 2009 regular cab, 4cyl, 5 speed 4x4 Tacoma with 62k. Never loaded other than 5 bags of 80lb sackcrete, or maybe 6 bags of 50lb corn. Stock tires and wheels. Just installed new tires after getting 61k out of the original Dunlops. So what I mean is no hard driving, No mudding, no wild off roading. I am the 2nd owner(1st put 9k on in 18 months) and never wrecked. Just a daily driver to and from work, hauling the trash 2 times a week. I have a 1 ton, crew cab for hauling stuff, just got too expensive buying diesel every week. Anyways, the right rear leaf snaps in two, just forward of the u bolts. And other than junk metal, I cannot figure out why. I read online about this happening a lot, but according to the dealer, "they never heard of such a thing, you must have overloaded it"-Never!!! Probably the same as never heard of the throttle sticking on them either and we all know how that turned out. Sorry to rant but, just build something that will last!!! I have owned probably 25 or so pickups in my life and have never had a spring break.

Might be because the material gauge is thinner than other trucks. I have several trucks with between 180K and 240K miles and I have been known to overload them but I have never had an issue with any of the suspension.

I just had to spend $600.00 to fix my daily driver. Last week, while idling around the farm, in 1st gear, I broke a leaf spring on the right rear of my truck. Now this is a 2009 regular cab, 4cyl, 5 speed 4x4 Tacoma with 62k. Never loaded other than 5 bags of 80lb sackcrete, or maybe 6 bags of 50lb corn. Stock tires and wheels. Just installed new tires after getting 61k out of the original Dunlops. So what I mean is no hard driving, No mudding, no wild off roading. I am the 2nd owner(1st put 9k on in 18 months) and never wrecked. Just a daily driver to and from work, hauling the trash 2 times a week. I have a 1 ton, crew cab for hauling stuff, just got too expensive buying diesel every week. Anyways, the right rear leaf snaps in two, just forward of the u bolts. And other than junk metal, I cannot figure out why. I read online about this happening a lot, but according to the dealer, "they never heard of such a thing, you must have overloaded it"-Never!!! Probably the same as never heard of the throttle sticking on them either and we all know how that turned out. Sorry to rant but, just build something that will last!!! I have owned probably 25 or so pickups in my life and have never had a spring break.

Look at the name on it, you get no sympathy from me.

I work for Ford

But with anything mechanical, sometimes they break for no reason. Doesn't sound like an abused vehicle, it just broke, that is why the have warranties. My guess and yes I worked for a Japanese company for 7 years, even back in the 90s they were building them to last 150,000 miles with normal maintenance.

I have many friends with F series trucks with 200,000 miles and they are still daily drivers.

Have 128,000 on wife's 2004 Ford van, I'm working on it tonight, light bulb burned out

My 2007 Ford Mustang has 125,000 miles and is my daily driver

It snowed today so drove my truck instead of car, 1995 Dodge 2500 with cummins diesel with 148,000 miles

So they do make vehicles that last more than 60,000 miles, you just happened to have one with a bad spring and it broke.

I would much rather have an older vehicle without all the computer BS that will be in junk yards because once you have an electrical problem no one will be able to fix it.

But then they are not dependable, so a catch 22

Change the springsYES BOTH OF THEM, and hope that it goes another 60,000 miles without any other problems.

Even if it was overloaded, all it should do is hit the suspension stops....................

I abuse Crown Vics to over 300 thousand miles and load and haul the snot out of Ford and Chevy trucks without trouble. The tables on quality have shifted back to the big three. Ford being number one in my book for the last 20 years and Chevy for at least the last 15.

I work for Ford

But with anything mechanical, sometimes they break for no reason. Doesn't sound like an abused vehicle, it just broke, that is why the have warranties. My guess and yes I worked for a Japanese company for 7 years, even back in the 90s they were building them to last 150,000 miles with normal maintenance.

I have many friends with F series trucks with 200,000 miles and they are still daily drivers.

Have 128,000 on wife's 2004 Ford van, I'm working on it tonight, light bulb burned out

My 2007 Ford Mustang has 125,000 miles and is my daily driver

It snowed today so drove my truck instead of car, 1995 Dodge 2500 with cummins diesel with 148,000 miles

So they do make vehicles that last more than 60,000 miles, you just happened to have one with a bad spring and it broke.

I would much rather have an older vehicle without all the computer BS that will be in junk yards because once you have an electrical problem no one will be able to fix it.

But then they are not dependable, so a catch 22

Change the springsYES BOTH OF THEM, and hope that it goes another 60,000 miles without any other problems.
I did change both of them. Figured that was the best way to eliminate all the problems. And yes, my diesel is a 1997 Ford F-350. As far a sympathy from you, I never asked. And the last new Ford I owned (2002 F-350 CC 4x4, 7.3), spent more time in the shop for warranty repairs than any other I have ever owned. In 48k, the water pump impellors and bearings pulled out of the housing, starter and flywheel were replaced on a Ford recall, Cam position sensor was replaced twice( after the Ford tech replaced the injector drive module, the pcm, twice, and part of the wire harness. Both front wheel bearing hubs(grinding and 1 seizing), a rear axle seal(leaking), both high pressure oil lines(leaking). When it broke, it went in an a hook or flatbed every time. It just wasn't dependable.This truck was never chipped, never used to haul anything other than my car trailer and never offroading . I was tired of paying a monthly house payment on a truck that was always broke. This is why I went to a older Ford to haul with when needed and a newer daily driver. NOBODY makes them as good as they used too.

That's just crazy.. I used to have a 94 Chevy astro van and used to pack the back with shelving and racks to hold glass and tools..I found out it had fiberglass mono leaf spring each side.. Just one fiberglass spring they almost straightened out with the weight I had on it..never an issue tho compared to steel you would think they would have broke.

Dunno, maybe faulty spring? Toyotas are reliable. I don't endorse this, but I regularly load pallets of wood pellets on toyotas all the time. That's 2000 pounds!

One old guy has been bringing his 2006 extended cab Yota in for about 3 tons every year. I asked him if he was worried about overloading it... he wasn't.

Humm, My '73 Dodge B100 van has 280,000 miles on it's original suspension and no problems.

My '66 Dart has 125,000 miles on it's original suspension and no problems. Bought both Dodges new.

Our '84 Datsun PU had 130,000 miles on it's original water pump, clutch, brakes and everything else and no problems when we sold it. Bought new.

I had a '66 Econoline Supervan that had 170,000 miles on it's original suspension when I sold it with no problems. Bought 1 year old.

We did have a brand new '71 Mustang that only went 30,000 miles before I had to replace the water pump, timing chain, valve guides, Valve job, Brake master and wheel cylinders and brake shoes. All those new parts were still on the car when we sold it at 130,000 miles and 20 years later for what we paid for it new. Go figure. After that I wasn't a fan of Ford any more.
To think it was a toss up between buying the Mustang or a Demon. The Demon lost because of poor rear visibility, But I most likely would still have it today had we gone with it.

I've got a 93 Dakota 4X4, 5 speed, 3.9, with 353,000 miles on it. My younger brothers have drag raced it, mud bogged it, and hill climbed in it. I once went to get sandstone for landscaping and the guy dumped 2 1/2 tons in it. I drove it home. The truck is a little worse for the ware, but still going strong, no spring issues. All original except the clutch.

That being said, a friend bought a 2013 Ford F-350, Crew Cab, Powerstroke. His transmission failed at 13,000 miles. Tires had a factory defect and all four had to be replaced. The windshield wiper motor has also gone bad. He babies his like a Cadillac. The new ones aren't made as well.

I have 4 truck ( 2 GMs, and 2 Cummins Pick ups, I like saying Cummins. "Ram Diesel" sounds lame) ranging in age from 2 year to 14 years old. All were purchased new. The newest one has 107,000+ miles on it, right now. The oldest nearly 300,000 (and it's a Chevy).
Regular maintenance performed as scheduled, and the ONLY repairs has been to replace the fuel pump and the Radiator on the 2000, and I did both at 204,000 miles. I've made no repairs, at all to any of the other trucks, brand not withstanding.

...I also have a 94 Ford van (also purchased new) with 200,000 miles on the 5.8L/auto. Again, beyond normal maintenance and wearable parts, I replaced an idler pulley, a clock spring, and A/c compressor, and that's it. Again, brands not withstanding, I've found that the newer trucks are pretty durable, PROVIDING, you outfit the truck for the purpose for which it will be used, and PM it.

Some have said it was just a bad spring, things happen I guess. My problem with that theory is why is there a lot of other complaints about this happening and easy to find aftermarket replacement springs out there, in stock ride height. Businesses don't design and make things to replace non defective factory parts. They do it to fill a need and make money. Some things on a car or truck should last a lifetime, springs being one, in my book. I understand things wear out or break, water pumps, wheel bearings, brakes, ball joints, and so on. Heck, even door hinges wear out, but not springs. And these didn't wear out, they broke!

Some have said it was just a bad spring, things happen I guess. My problem with that theory is why is there a lot of other complaints about this happening and easy to find aftermarket replacement springs out there, in stock ride height. Businesses don't design and make things to replace non defective factory parts. They do it to fill a need and make money. Some things on a car or truck should last a lifetime, springs being one, in my book. I understand things wear out or break, water pumps, wheel bearings, brakes, ball joints, and so on. Heck, even door hinges wear out, but not springs. And these didn't wear out, they broke!

Looks like you are right.
http://www.tacomahq.com/508/toyota-tacoma-leaf-springs-break/

And that's just one. The net really is full of people with the same issue. This should be a safety recall.

I work for Ford

I am so freeking unimpressed I simply cannot put this into words

Can you explain to me, oh, hallowed Ford employee...........

why my 98 Ranger lost the cam sensor at less than 70K?

Now think about this.

This is a sawed off DISTRIBUTOR

When was the last time you heard of ANY distributor failing in only 70K? This is from lack of lubrication, not wear.

The point? All these vehicles have their lemons. They all have their turkeys

I bought my 95 Olds Cutlass from Mom when she quit driving.

Before 35 K, both the rear door solenoids failed

Before 40K the alternator died

Before 40K the left front door window started to fail, and is now completely unreliable. This is pretty damn handy, driving up to windows.

I don't think the muffler went 30K

Stoplight switch didn't make 30K, and of course, ran the battery clear down flat

But it's the overall design of the damn thing

The wipers rest on little "stops" which destroy the blades. The blades sit in the lowest part of the windshield/ body and are the first thing to freeze

There's no drip rails.

A gentle bump with a scraper is all it took to strip the gear in the mirror

THE BEST PART is the heater / AC. You can NOT get half defrost and half heat, it's either one or the other BY DESIGN.

I am so freeking unimpressed I simply cannot put this into words

Can you explain to me, oh, hallowed Ford employee...........

why my 98 Ranger lost the cam sensor at less than 70K?

Now think about this.

This is a sawed off DISTRIBUTOR

When was the last time you heard of ANY distributor failing in only 70K? This is from lack of lubrication, not wear................

Yeah I can. I have an 04 Ranger, 3.0. Has the same thing in the rear. Oh, and it's actually the camshaft synchronizer body that fails and dumps the sensor. If yours failed and it simply quit running, lemmie lay on you just how lucky you got.

Know what *usually* happens? First, you're right. There's NO lubrication whatsoever at the top bronze bushing, just under the tang that produces the cam sensor signal. It barely gets splash lube. Obviously.

Here's what happens. The bushing starts to gall. From lack of lube. IF you're lucky, you hear a very high pitched squeak similar to a belt squeal. If you're like me and have severe tinnitus, you'll miss it. The ONLY reason I heard mine is because I was at the drive through getting a hamburger and the squeak was bouncin off the wall. Otherwise, I never wouldda caught it.

IF you don't hear it, guess what? In a very short time after it starts makin noise, the bushing completely fails, the tang locks up against the side of the cam synchronizer housing and breaks the shaft. Then, it falls into the engine and causes a catastrophic engine failure. Lights out. Game over.

Just one of Ford's "better ideas". Oh yeah, American cars are made so much better. NOT. "I work for Ford" What a joke. Fact is, they ALL fail somehow or another because they all have the human equation.

People ask me all the time why I drive these "old, decrepit" cars. UMMM let me count the reasons. Easy to fix, don't require a brain surgeon license to fix, no car payment, no huge insurance payment......................

I have always wondered, did out 60's and 70s Mopars have the same recalls as today, and they have just been fixed? Or are they just that good, made with better material back then?

I have had pretty good luck with all our newer cars. I had a brand new 98 Ford ZX2, went 60,000 and traded it on a 2002 PT Cruiser, both had no issues until the PT got totaled.

We had a 99 EB Explorer, bought brand new, hub/wheel bearing went out at 50,000, replaced under warranty, and the ball joints were going at 150,000, but don't get me started on that abortion of a SOHC motor, who designed that crap box. No major issues, just typical high mileage stuff.

Our 2003 H2, used 100,000 mile purchase, runs like a top, its steering wheel lock broke and had to be replaced, no biggie.

Our older cars must have had some recalls like these do today, but they are simpler so less to go wrong I guess

Always loved Fords. They were usually good for a complete motor change. $$$$$ labor and parts profit.

People ask me all the time why I drive these "old, decrepit" cars. UMMM let me count the reasons. Easy to fix, don't require a brain surgeon license to fix, no car payment, no huge insurance payment......................

I have always wondered, did out 60's and 70s Mopars have the same recalls as today, and they have just been fixed? Or are they just that good, made with better material back then?

I have had pretty good luck with all our newer cars. I had a brand new 98 Ford ZX2, went 60,000 and traded it on a 2002 PT Cruiser, both had no issues until the PT got totaled.

We had a 99 EB Explorer, bought brand new, hub/wheel bearing went out at 50,000, replaced under warranty, and the ball joints were going at 150,000, but don't get me started on that abortion of a SOHC motor, who designed that crap box. No major issues, just typical high mileage stuff.

Our 2003 H2, used 100,000 mile purchase, runs like a top, its steering wheel lock broke and had to be replaced, no biggie.

Our older cars must have had some recalls like these do today, but they are simpler so less to go wrong I guess

Maybe, but doubt it. 12/12k miles warranty probably took care of most of that. Unless it was a Pinto, those just blew up!

Maybe, but doubt it. 12/12k miles warranty probably took care of most of that. Unless it was a Pinto, those just blew up!

I think the pinto got a bad rap, I was going to buy one as a parts runner car. I read about that lawsuit. If that lady hadn't stalled and and got hit by a truck doing 60mph, I think it wouldn't have had that reputation. What car wouldn't have a chance of exploding into flames if you got hit by a truck at 60mph?

The early Mustangs were pretty much the same design werent they?

http://users.wfu.edu/palmitar/Law&Valuation/Papers/1999/Leggett-pinto.html

On August 10, 1978, three teenage girls stopped to refuel the 1973 Ford Pinto sedan they were driving. After filling up, the driver loosely reapplied the gas cap which subsequently fell off as they headed down U. S. Highway 33. Trying to retrieve the cap, the girls stopped in the right lane of the highway shoulder since there was no space on the highway for cars to safely pull off the roadway. Shortly thereafter, a van weighing over 4000 pounds and modified with a rigid plank for a front bumper was traveling at fifty five miles an hour and stuck the stopped Pinto. The two passengers died at the scene when the car burst into flames. The driver was ejected and died shortly thereafter in the hospital. Inspecting the van shortly after the accident, the police found open beer bottles, marijuana and caffeine pills inside.6

The subsequent proceedings were rather surprising. Based on the facts of the case, it seemed that any one of a number of parties could be liable in a civil action or prosecuted criminally. The obvious target seemed to be the driver of the van. It seems he could have been prosecuted for criminal homicide or the families of the victims could have pursued a civil action, in light of the fact the driver possessed several controlled substances at the time of the accident.

A second potential party open to a civil suit was the Indiana Highway department. It was their design which left no safe stopping place along Highway 33 where cars could pull over for emergencies. In fact, the road was so dangerous that the Elkart County Citizens' Safety Committee had previously written a letter to the department asking that the road design be modified to provide safe stopping place for emergencies.7 It is also conceivable, the driver of the Pinto could have been found negligent for stopping a car in the middle of the highway.

The first surprise of the resulting litigation carne when Indiana state prosecutor filed suit against Ford Motor Company for criminal recklessness and reckless homicide.8 The famous and highly publicized legal battle was underway. Some have argued the prosecution acted unethically from day one, gathering and hiding evidence from the defendant and concealing information about the condition of the van driver.9 Whether true or not, the following litigation caused damage that would take Ford years to recover from.

neither. you were just screwed when something went wrong back then. why do ya think we now have lemon laws?

AS my mechanic friend states, "Everybody makes junk these days! If you are loyal to a brand, stick with it, but know that you will have to repair it!"""

rp23g7, I agree on the bad rap.
In the late 70s, I bought a 74 with 93K on it. A week later it started smoking, Thanks shady used car dealer. Being a kid and ignorant I was at the mercy of a mechanic, saying the head needed rebuilt. I guess he was honest, cause I commenced to rack 240,000 mi. on that little pinto.
Only con of the car was those damn rubber band timing belts, left stranded twice with that. Otherwise a clutch at 140,000 mi that`s all I remember replacing.

Newest vehicle I own is a 94. I don't buy anything I can't fix myself.

" A good vehicle is one that when you open the hood you can look down and still see the ground"

Amen.

-
Back