Decals

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
When doing the under the hood restoration I have lost the pictures I had of the decals. Anyone able to help me.
I know one was about antifreeze and there was one beside that one

WP_20170722_09_28_07_Pro.jpg

I've looked there. That is when I realized I didn't know which ones I need. Changed cell phone and lost half of my pictures

I've looked there. That is when I realized I didn't know which ones I need. Changed cell phone and lost half of my pictures

I only remember the yellow coolant decal on the radiator support on mine... I (think) "some" had a sticker on the air cleaner upper housing (on the side)... if you had the clean air package??? CAP ⚓

I've got an original 65 426 wedge chrome air cleaner and it still has the decal on the side of it. It's barely legible in places
image.jpg
image.jpg

Someone ask why I am worrying about things like this. I don't have an answer, other than I just am.

Someone ask why I am worrying about things like this. I don't have an answer, other than I just am.

Because if you're taking time to do a nice project, it's the little things (like the decals) that set it apart from the other people who don't bother with the little details!

On a '65, your underhood decals will be coolant and battery (on the top lip of the radiator support panel) and air cleaner service instructions. Some engines (225, 273-4bbl, etc) also had an engine displacement callout decal on the air cleaner. Osborn Reproductions has an extensive offering of very good quality repro decals; unfortunately, their cattledog is not illustrated.

I bought the repro air cleaner decal on my '65 273-4 from e-bay. It is very nice. I still have the original decal which seems to be made of thin metal (?) of some sort. Pictures won't post from my computer onto this web site but I could send you a photo if you want, Tadams.

I bought the repro air cleaner decal on my '65 273-4 from e-bay. It is very nice. I still have the original decal which seems to be made of thin metal (?) of some sort. Pictures won't post from my computer onto this web site but I could send you a photo if you want, Tadams.

According to @65dartcharger the thin metal is correct. He had some reproduced for his 65 DartCharger from an original I sent him. Maybe he might be able to get some reproduced with the Plymouth logo?

Is this what you are calling a decal? I thought this was called a pie tin? It's a piece of aluminum glued to the air cleaner top... maybe the new ones today are decals ... not that it would make much of a difference!!! ⚓
1501519141035-1309601111.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, 65 Dartman and cliff cuda65. It is indeed a version of a pie tin. The repro. I bought is simply a stick-on decal. I don't think the original style pie tins for the 273 Commando are being reproduced by anyone. If someone knows of a source I'd be interested.

The new ones are decals. I have one of those

Is this what you are calling a decal? I thought this was called a pie tin? It's a piece of aluminum glued to the air cleaner top... maybe the new ones today are decals ... not that it would make a difference!!! ⚓View attachment 1715077689

I guess you would call it a pie tin and what's sold now are just the decals

That's it!
Thanks, 65 Dartman and cliff cuda65. It is indeed a version of a pie tin. The repro. I bought is simply a stick-on decal. I don't think the original style pie tins for the 273 Commando are being reproduced by anyone. If someone knows of a source I'd be interested.

65dartcharger reproduced the one for the Charger 273.. Maybe he'll chime in
The new ones are decals. I have one of those

I'd rather have an original pie tin but the decal works too.

I would rather have one like the original but the decals will be good

I have been in contact re repro of the Commande pie tin but haven't got answer yet. In that case they will be done on thin aluminium as the originals.

I have been in contact re repro of the Commande pie tin but haven't got answer yet. In that case they will be done on thin aluminium as the originals.

In that case I will take one for the Barracuda's Commando air cleaner! The quality of the Charger 273 one you sent me is spot on!

Call Dave over at Layson's - He sold me the whole kit for my 66' Barracuda and it was good quality and inexpensive. He will break out just the under hood stuff if you want.
I've bought a lot from Dave for my car and he has saved me a lot over Classic Industries. They are just reselling the stuff he sold them he told me.
Finally got to meet him at Carlisle this year.
Joe

I think I want one as well... add me to the list. I'm making a stubby air cleaner top so total filter (sides) will be exposed... NOT cutting my original chrome Commando cleaner top, but a painted black super six top... then will have it chromed and put the pie tin on that !!!! Keeping my Original for shows... ⚓

Thank You 65dartcharger !!!

Dave over at Layson's has saved me a lot over Classic Industries. They are just reselling the stuff he sold them he told me.

LOLROFL! Same ol' Dave, full o' laughs (and baloney). Original poster: think very carefully and do a good bit of research before you decide to spend money at Layson's. See, for just a few examples, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is not of their own manufacture; a large proportion of their product line is bought elsewhere and marked up. They're almost never the only source for a part, and there's a long list of vendors much more deserving of my hard-earned money.

-
Back