Deepwater Horizon not an oil spill

-

chuckwagon2004

71 dartswinger
Reaction score
All,
I am sure 99% of the people who read this will not agree with me. I am starting to get a little frustrated with everyone calling this tragic incident an oil spill. It is far from it. I work for Transocean the company (contractor) who owns the rig, I see this as one of the most horrific events this century due to the fact 11 people were probably killed. Every time I read where someone has wrote something negative due to harming the environment I get pissed off. 9 of these people were co workers of mine and I actually know several people that were on the rig at the time of the incident. Everyone thinks they are a Petroleum enginner after the incident and they know how they can stop it or prevented it. I need to vent a little so here we go. The oil can be cleaned up and will. The 11 people who were killed that night cannot be revived. They didnt have the luxury of being put in a coffin, all 11 of the men were creamated with their rig and crew members lost with them. There was 128 people onboard the rig and they didnt have time to do anything. The gas and the explosion was right on them before an alarm could be sounded. The people who did survive will never be the same. They have lost people they spend half of their life with. We are talking about a family not just co-workers. Everyone has put so much info towards the spill they seem to have forgotten about the men who gave their life during this tragic event. Our government hasn't said anything about the 11 men who have perished. They just want the oil to stop flowing and more regulations. They also want more taxation on top of the profits as well. They see this as a way to make a dollar and act like they are worried about the oil spill. I get extremely pissed at people blowing their whistle about how we need to stop drilling in the gulf and onshore as well. These are the same people who put gas intheir car, buy new shoes, put new tires and on and on. the list for petroleum products does not stop. I would love to sit at home and not do a damn thing except braid hemp necklasses and preach how we are destroying the world etc if it was possible to live like that. It isnt though, we have to have the oil especially if we still want to drive our old hotrods.. Sorry for this rant...

This will probably upset a few people also but I tend to agree with you. First off I am sorry for your loss of co-workers and friends, technically you are right , it isn't a "spill" but it is still gushing oil out at a tremendous rate. I am all for drilling both on and off shore and I find it quite odd that the last oil rig disaster in the Gulf that result in a large "spill" was back in 1979, from what info I can gleen from the internet and not quite a month after our government decide to open up drilling off the eastern coast we suddenly have this disaster and every thing comes to a screeching halt. It's kind of hard to investigate something that was totally destroyed and is setting close to a mile under the surface of the ocean. I guess my Wife is right, maybe I am to cynical.

No apology for ranting required. I agree, anytime the government gets involved things go downhill pretty quick. Hardly any mention of the loss of life and limb in any reports.

I hear ya buddy. I have yet to hear, even the names of the lost. I figured they were from another country and american media did`nt care. Were they American? I think it`s going to be nearly impossible to get the oil out of the marshes?

Well said Chuck.

We need all the oil we can get here at home, plus better safeguards for our future....My only hopes are these:

That we get to the bottom of the disaster to safeguard against another; That we find new and effective ways of dealing with the oil that washes ashore; and that we never forget the lives lost in the effort to keep this nation free and prosperous by bringing our own crude-oil home.

God Bless the families, and help us to cope with it all.

I feel for ya in the same way. I work at a very large smelter and the second we have an environmental spill everyone is screaming. Such is the price of our modern lifestyle. We must take the bad along with the good.

The town where the smelter is got alot of bad press and was described as filthy,yet the lead levels here are lower than a big city. And we have a huge lead smelter!

Due to the way the kick got on them that night I have a feeling the well might flow until one of the relief wells that they are drilling gets into the well bore. I know its not what anyone wants to hear and I hope the top kill works but I doubt it will. This well was kept in balance with 16 pound per gallon mud. The only thing it has holding it back right now is 5000' of water. The pressure differences are extreme. This is the reason they cant plug the pipe laying on the seabed that pipe is not rated for that kind of pressure. If somehow they can plug it off in the BOP's it might work.

im with ya, i work in oil. People are real quick to blame the oil industry for being unsafe and that is so far from the truth. i just about have to fill out a permit to use the bathroom anymore. nobody wanted to see anybody get killed or any kind of spill (including big oil). all these people seem to forget how their groceries get to the store, what the roof on their house is made of, what the plane they fly in on vacations runs on. unless your riding a horse, growing your own food, and living in a cave i don't think you have much room to complain.

Ya know....
After reading this thread and thinking....
I have not heard ONE word about these men and their families.... NADA!
Well that just sucks.
I have joined the facebook group linked above and posted it to my facebook page.

My prayers for these men and their families.

Later,
Bruce B.

I lay most of the blame for this accident at the feet of the Sierra Club and its enviro-nazi ilk. Through lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit, aside from the face of the moon, drilling in 5,000 feet of water is about all that's left, and now even that is in jeopardy after this tragedy. I have to think that there are easier engineering obstacles with drilling in relatively shallow water versus 5,000 feet and should something go wrong, you can get down there with more than just ROVs. I could be wrong.

The loss of the men is a terrible tragedy... Definitely the worst part of the whole accident....Never been on an oil rig so have no idea about their operations... If it is anything like the other industries I have worked in they usually know of unsafe practices but never do anything about it until someone gets hurt or killed...The loss of these hard working men could probably been prevented ??? Hopefully their loss will result in changes so this will not happen again ... Lets also remember that lots of peoples livelihoods are at risk ... What if this thing continues to leak oil for months and the entire Gulf Coast is coated with oil ??? Everything from fishermen to vaction spots will be ruined for no telling how long....Going to be lots of suffering both human and wildlife .... MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE!!!!!

We can do more 300 miles above the Earth than we can do 1 mile below the sea. We should work on technology to enable us to drill offshore safely, effectively, and enviromentally friendly, especially if we want to break our dependance on foreign oil.

Its just a terrible tragedy and Prayers go out to the families of the lost and for the many people affected by the oil and the people who are trying to stop the leaking well before it becomes so bad that there is no answers to clean it up. Wildlife and fish are already dying and that is truly a shame but prayers are needed in this terrible situation down there in the Gulf.

International Space Station - pressure differential = 14.7 PSI
5,000 depth - pressure differential = approx. 2,150 PSI

Big difference in strength of materials needed for each environment.

All these are some good points everyone is making. I would like to be the person to tell you this equipment is designed to work at these depths at certain pressure ratings etc. We monitor the equipment constantly. There are probably some of the same computer programs monitoring this equipment that exceeds nasa requirments. Everything is redundant and there is always a contingency plan with operating the subsea equipment. The equipment is tested and functioned on intervals that are adequate according to our government and company policies. This is not something that happens especially in the USA due to our training and requirements. It really bothers me that people think the rig was not taking care of their business. This is not the case and it is a risk that is not taken in the gulf of mexico. I have a gut feeling we will find out that the guys activated the equipment and did what they could before the explosion and that this equipment failed due to the pressure it saw. Those 11 men could have hauled *** and had time to do so. These guys are heroes in my mind for staying around and dealing with the problem. They never had a chance and in my opinion until there are some hard facts saying they didnt activate the EDS, shear rams etc. these guys will continue to be heroes in my mind. If the casing seal assy / cement is what failed these guys barely had time to react. Gas migrates in seawater faster than you can calculate. It is quick and you can use boyles law to calculate it. But pretty much the size of the gas bubble doubles every halfway point before it unloads. It was so close to surface 4900' of seawater. It was quick and out of control. They were in a well control situation and were trying to prevent this from happening. Anyone who has ever worked offshore can look at a couple of the pictures when the rig is on fire and tell the guys had activated the diverter and that they were trying to take care of business. There was no wind that night so the gas just clouded the rig and over ran the diesel generators and the ignited from some ignition point. The explosion would probably have happened regardless. I feel a deep sympathy for these guys and their family. I know they are missed.

I'm part of the 1% that will agree with you on this.

They are definitely politicizing the hell out of this tragedy.

If this was in fact some sort of sabotage, we will never know the truth, but I would not doubt it at all with Mr. Government industry grabber himself in the Kill whitey house.

I doubt there was any foul play. There were too many barriers that failed. That is going to be the bottom line. Cement failed, casing failed, the BOP's failed due to the pressure, The seal assy failed... In the end they will blame the people who have passed on and it will change nothing. Just the way it is and how this world works.. I think they need to ban nitrogen cement jobs and come up with another seal assy for the casing... My 2 cents

It`s very dangerous harvesting material for energy. Just last month 29 miners were killed in West Virginia. Here in Va. we are dependent on coal and get an enormous amount of energy from it. There`s just an inherent danger in going after what we need to produce energy, especially from fossil fuels. As long as we pursue those elements we will have accidents and lose life. What I don`t understand is that we have the Sun just sitting there producing unimaginable power every day and so little has been done to research and utilize its potential.

I worked on oil rigs when I was younger, as did many of the members of my family. I knew going in the dangers involved. That is why I was paid obscene amounts of money to do my job. Unfortunately, accidents happen. The question in my mind is whether this accident could have been prevented, or if it was the result of someone cutting corners at the expense of these fine men and the environment.

I lay most of the blame for this accident at the feet of the Sierra Club and its enviro-nazi ilk. Through lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit, aside from the face of the moon, drilling in 5,000 feet of water is about all that's left, and now even that is in jeopardy after this tragedy. I have to think that there are easier engineering obstacles with drilling in relatively shallow water versus 5,000 feet and should something go wrong, you can get down there with more than just ROVs. I could be wrong.

I agree with you. These same leftists that don't want drilling are the same people that scream, piss and moan when gas prices go high and blame the high prices on everyone but themselves. They have created high prices by not allowing the US to be more oil independent by using the massive oil and oil shale that is available here in the USA in the Rocky Mountain states.

Wait and these same people will blame Bush when the Obama administration bans all drilling and we have to buy more expensive oil from terrorist nations. We need to get more of our own oil and stop supporting terrorist nations.

I don't care who's to blame, that'll get sorted out eventually. The only thing I care about is the families of the rig workers, the families who lost sons and fathers and cousins and how very sorry I am for their loss. I am totally disgusted with the minimal amount of information that the news media told us all about those who were killed. Who were they. To die in a gas or oil explosion is one of the worse ways to go, even if you survive you're never the same, I've been blown up twice and survived and have the scars to prove it and then there's the nightmares. I can only hope that the survivors and the families of the deceased are getting counciling because it's the nightmares that never go away. I'm not a God fearing man but in this case I will pray for the families.

My family and I made income off of oystering and now that is screwed the worst because, oysters will suck this up for about 4 or 5 years. And, also they won't even give me a job cleaning up the "leak" "spill" to help make up for it.

I agree with the loss of life. The media not bothering to mention those men who lost their lives in this and the families affected by it is just another example of the mainstream media forgetting it's purpose.

The lives of the those lost can't be politicized, so they won't mention them and make it a story which can be.

All,
I am sure 99% of the people who read this will not agree with me. I am starting to get a little frustrated with everyone calling this tragic incident an oil spill. It is far from it. I work for Transocean the company (contractor) who owns the rig, I see this as one of the most horrific events this century due to the fact 11 people were probably killed. Every time I read where someone has wrote something negative due to harming the environment I get pissed off. 9 of these people were co workers of mine and I actually know several people that were on the rig at the time of the incident. Everyone thinks they are a Petroleum enginner after the incident and they know how they can stop it or prevented it. I need to vent a little so here we go. The oil can be cleaned up and will. The 11 people who were killed that night cannot be revived. They didnt have the luxury of being put in a coffin, all 11 of the men were creamated with their rig and crew members lost with them. There was 128 people onboard the rig and they didnt have time to do anything. The gas and the explosion was right on them before an alarm could be sounded. The people who did survive will never be the same. They have lost people they spend half of their life with. We are talking about a family not just co-workers. Everyone has put so much info towards the spill they seem to have forgotten about the men who gave their life during this tragic event. Our government hasn't said anything about the 11 men who have perished. They just want the oil to stop flowing and more regulations. They also want more taxation on top of the profits as well. They see this as a way to make a dollar and act like they are worried about the oil spill. I get extremely pissed at people blowing their whistle about how we need to stop drilling in the gulf and onshore as well. These are the same people who put gas intheir car, buy new shoes, put new tires and on and on. the list for petroleum products does not stop. I would love to sit at home and not do a damn thing except braid hemp necklasses and preach how we are destroying the world etc if it was possible to live like that. It isnt though, we have to have the oil especially if we still want to drive our old hotrods.. Sorry for this rant...

I agree with you what you said also 100%. This administration will screw it up so bad we'll be paying $5 for gas within 1-2 years.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the rig workers and their families.

-
Back