Deglaze and reuse rings?

-

Big_Al

Reaction score
I have a 360 bored 30 over. It has a 75mm turbo. I'm sending heads and block in to be resurfaced for mls head gaskets. Motor has less 100 miles before it detonated and blew out the composite head gaskets. It has been sitting for 2 months. If I de glaze the cylinders with a ball hone can I reuse my rings?

I have a 360 bored 30 over. It has a 75mm turbo. I'm sending heads and block in to be resurfaced for mls head gaskets. Motor has less 100 miles before it detonated and blew out the composite head gaskets. It has been sitting for 2 months. If I de glaze the cylinders with a ball hone can I reuse my rings?

I wouldn't take a chance, as the rings have already developed a wear pattern. If anything, I'd reuse the pistons/rings with the existing crosshatching, unless you have a reason not to.

I see nothing wrong with reusing them. As long as they go back in the cylinders they came out of and you do NOT deglaze the cylinders. If it was running without oil smoke before, it should be fine if you reassemble it just the way it was. The rings are already broken in to each cylinder in which they were installed.

The reason why I want to re hone is because it sat for two months and there are grey marks in two cylinders where the piston rings were sitting.

I'm with Rusty
-I suppose the marks could be the one place in the entire cylinder that did not oxidize during the open period.I suppose it could be a watermark from trapped coolant.I suppose a lot of things, but;
-If the marks are below the top inch,and you can't catch a fingernail in them, and you have cast rings,I would ignore them. Forget about them.Pretend I never saw them.
-If you have chrome rings...Well you're in trouble anyway, so just fugedabowdit.
-If you have moly-faced rings;and the engine is on a stand, I might polish the affected areas with a bit of steel wool or Scotchbrite. Unfortunately this would then require careful cleaning.But if the engine is still in the car,and you can't catch a nail I think I would, try, to ignore the marks.
Since you've taken the pistons out, I would recommend to clean the ring lands out. If the marks are from anti-freeze, it will have gotten into there and may be gumming them up.But Ima betting you already took care of that.

I have done lots of heads-off work, where the cylinders got these marks, even with careful cleaning prior to the vehicle being pushed into the corner to be finished the following week. They all survived without smoking or compression issues.

I suppose one might ask, why try to save this little bit of coin on a build of this caliber? Yeah, it's hard to argue with that.....But I have a feeling your heads will be off again soon....
heehee

Brush Research Flex-Hone {GB Flex-Hone}

Telephone # 323-261-2193

Scuff it up with a rabbit turd hone (bead hone) and a new set of rings. They aren't that expensive. And yes, Brush Research makes the best. You can rent them at the rental stores.

If the rings were subjected to the same detonation I'd replace them as cheap insurance. Home it with scotchbrite around a flex home using wd40 as a lubricant. Did you solve the detonation issue?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some new rings and deglaze the cylinders. I would hate to have something go wrong after putting it back together. Reason why it detonated was from the carb. So I ordered a new carb from csu.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some new rings and deglaze the cylinders. I would hate to have something go wrong after putting it back together. Reason why it detonated was from the carb. So I ordered a new carb from csu.

:thumrigh::thumrigh:

Good idea on the new rings.

Detonation from the carb??

Home built carb. Not enough jet. Raised the boost and it leaned out on me

Home built carb. Not enough jet. Raised the boost and it leaned out on me
Check the upper parts of the pistons VERY carefully for cracks and around the ring lands. Gotta wonder how flat the deck and heads are if the gaskets blew; I have run composite on 14-15 psi boost racing for thousands of miles and just burned a head gasket once. Sounds like a good candidate for an AFR meter.

I never had the heads or block resurfaced before. I'm guessing it was uneven which caused it to blow and my afr spiked to 18 at 14 psi

Attachments

• 20151009_163250.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 234
Just one thing I should mention: my boost was on a 2.6L Mitsu engine, not an LA. So the gasket and clamping is different. That might be the reason for the composite gaskets surviving OK. But I was always sure to keep the surfaces good and flat.

Never put rings back in a cylinder once they are removed. You will never get them positioned/clocked where they were. So you will have additional wear to reseat them. cylinders change shape when they get warm. They do not stay round.

If you cut the block and the head you will have to check the intake hieght.

My son installs lnkanell wire in the head or block that pushes on th fire ring on steel ML gaskets. most all diesel motors for pulling are done this way at the shop. Or anything making alot of boost.

-
Back