Desert Car Kings

-
that scoops on the mustang are too big and spikes? im all for being hardcore and aggressive but theres a limit, rich evans is just a poster boy of every dbag you see around, meat head thinking he can be hardcore it makes me laugh, now im not hardcore but i know theres alot more hard assed ppl out there. and he dont knock jesse james at least he doesnt cut corners actually builds bikes that are awesome looking and doesnt try to fill his world with drama. i vote jesse james can beat the **** out of rich evans lol

that scoops on the mustang are too big and spikes? im all for being hardcore and aggressive but theres a limit, rich evans is just a poster boy of every dbag you see around, meat head thinking he can be hardcore it makes me laugh, now im not hardcore but i know theres alot more hard assed ppl out there. and he dont knock jesse james at least he doesnt cut corners actually builds bikes that are awesome looking and doesnt try to fill his world with drama. i vote jesse james can beat the **** out of rich evans lol

Yeah, but Jesse traded Sandra in for Kat? Really?

i really hate when they proudly say they have restored the cars they auction off. restored???used engines,used interiors and thats restored? that show just ruins the word restored. let them continue doing ford,chevys but leave the mopars to someone who knows a little about them. i wish one of you guys who knows how would foward this whole post to there websight
terry

I have a couple of ?s for them...

1. Why did you wait till after the car was painted to remove the headliner with all of the mouse crap in it ??

2. Why didn't you paint the inside of the doors and also the floor pan instead of just leaving it with a covering up rusty sheetmetal ??

And 19.? 1/4 mile at 75 mph....hell, an old VW bug could beat it.

Ditto, in a big way.
I couldn't get past the way they put fresh paint on it and THEN had a guy come in to remove the mouse-crap-filled headliner; who does that? People who are new to car restoration? Talk about back-asswards.

Also, my younger daughter's Civic could probably post a faster time. I know my work car Mazda 6 could.

I'm always open to watching a new show, but please try to make it believable. It's supposed to be Reality TV, not Unreality TV.

I'm always open to watching a new show, but please try to make it believable. It's supposed to be Reality TV, not Unreality TV.

I have no doubt that what they show is reality. The reality of idiots attempting to restore classic cars.

Well, I received a disappointing response to my Comment Form from The Discovery Channel. It appears no one actually read my comment: "If you want to see what REAL Mopar car people think of your new show Desert Car Kings, read this," along with a link to this thread.

It's just a generic response that seems to be tailored to someone giving them an idea for a new show ... or am I reading it wrong?

Your Recent Inquiry Regarding Program Submission
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Add to Contacts
To: [email protected]
Dear Viewer:

Thank you for your inquiry about program development. In order to protect
your program ideas and submissions, Discovery Communications can only
accept program proposals through the web address listed below.

If you would like to submit a program proposal or a completed program to
one of the Discovery Networks, you'll find all the information you need
online, at http://submissions.discovery.com. This site has been designed
for Producers and Production Companies to submit their proposals on-line to
any of the Discovery Networks. You will be able to check the status of
your submitted proposals at any time, as well as easily and effectively
update your program treatments.

This site can be used to submit program ideas to both the U.S. Networks and
our International Networks. The current programming and scheduling needs of
the Discovery Networks vary by Network and Region. It is important to read
the Guidelines and Requirements of a Network before submitting your program
proposal.

To submit a program idea through the eSubmission site you will first need
to complete the registration process. To register you’ll need to supply
your name, address, phone number, email address, and company name. You will
also have the option of including a company bio with your registration. To
complete the registration process you will need to read the Discovery
Networks Idea Submission Policy and Agreement. The Discovery Networks will
only accept program ideas from individuals and companies that have read and
agreed to the policies outlined in the Agreement. After registering you
will receive an e-mail confirming your username and password. You can now
log-on to the site and submit your program idea.

Thank you for your interest in the Discovery Networks.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
Discovery Communications

A reply to this message will not be answered. If you have additional
questions or comments, please go to our webform at
http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations.

Leanna, can you say "Form E-Mail Letter"? (LOL)

For you car warrior fans, I submit this from another website a few years back...

...We called it the Ugliest. Mustang. Ever. Our readers called it a pony with rabies, a monstrosity and an abomination.

Actually, I like the wheels. The rest of the car should be crushed.

If the name of the show was "Salvage rescue build", it would make more sense to me. Just don't present a car as a restored automobile. The resoration industry should be up in arms about this show.
Am I the only one that wants to hit the whining son in the chops?

Actually, I like the wheels. The rest of the car should be crushed.

Really..?

I thought the wheels were Ukken Fugly...:puke:

About the only thing I liked on this Abomination is the color of the Paint Job.

attachment.php

---

Really..?

I thought the wheels were Ukken Fugly...:puke:

---

I wouldn't put them on a Mopar, but I'm sure they would look good on somethin'... or maybe make a nice coffee table:dontknow: As a piece of "metal art" I can appreciate them.

I wouldn't put them on a Mopar, but I'm sure they would look good on somethin'... or maybe make a nice coffee table:dontknow: As a piece of "metal art" I can appreciate them.

Rick, IMHO, those wheels look like they belong on a gay Batmobile...

Come to think of it, That's what That Mustang looks like to me...:razz:

---

i really hate when they proudly say they have restored the cars they auction off. restored???used engines,used interiors and thats restored? that show just ruins the word restored.
terry

So, when you rebuilt your car you used 100% new parts?

I didn't. I repainted stuff and reconditioned the best I could. I am not building a car that I hope to get $80k for, and neither are they.

No they are not perfect.

They are also not sitting in a yard somewhere rotting when they are done, and those cars might get the chance to be redone again even better.

Why is that such a bad thing?

They have 3 weeks on the made-for-tv assignments and frankly I wonder how many here could take a wreck like they usually have and make a good driver out of it.

They are doing EXACTLY what most of us on this forum did with our first (or maybe second or third) car, unless your first car was a rotisserie, complete restore.

They are certainly using the term "restored" loosely....but so do many other people.

Also, a lot of the inconsistencies in the show are due to bad editing.....there isnt one camera on that gig, there are probably 10 located all over because yes they want to catch everything so they can edit into a show later.

These guys are not at the same level that a full-off restorer would be. I dont think they think they are.

But how many of us on this forum are?

So, when you rebuilt your car you used 100% new parts?

No

Why is that such a bad thing?

No one should be painting over metal which has craters in it without doing SOMETHING to smooth out the craters. Take a look at the left side of the rear valance. The paint looks like like it was shot over the surface of the moon... Look up from there, and you'll see that they left a dent in the body just above the bumper.

Look at the left fender, the body line is as wavy as the ocean...

They have 3 weeks on the made-for-tv assignments and frankly I wonder how many here could take a wreck like they usually have and make a good driver out of it.

The car I turned into a race car had been gutted from a fire. It was my first attempt at restoring a car and I did a hell of a lot better job ALONE than that crew of "professionals" did with an entire boneyard of parts at their disposal.

They are doing EXACTLY what most of us on this forum did with our first (or maybe second or third) car, unless your first car was a rotisserie, complete restore.

It was. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right. I started without a rotisserie then built one myself to make the job go easier.

But how many of us on this forum are?

Looking at the caliber of most of the cars here, I would say most are.

DSC_1065.jpg

launch_1_11.jpg

I have no doubt that what they show is reality. The reality of idiots attempting to restore classic cars.

Would you let those guys work on your car if you went to a garage and that is how the techs looked? I wouldn't.

Then again that new cajun gunshop show has some real doozies working as gunsmiths so who knows? Call me old fashioned.

Another US Body hood with the 3" scoop and it looks great! I may have to reconsider painting mine black instead of body color.

Actually it's from AAR but thanks:thumbrig:

I keep wondering why I keep wtaching. I would love to see more of a multipart diy show that didn't have the drama deadline, b.s. I noticed the seats that magically appeared for the charger, too. And I think it was the GTO, that when the interior guy walks in, they have boxes of legendary upholstry, does legendary really have that quick of shipping? Then they find the parts just in time. The Charger show made me wonder, as it was sponsored by Dodge.

i've only watch the first episode with the t-bird and couldnt do it any longer the frickin place is a whole bunch of hacks tryin to gain some fame, hell im workin at a restoration/speed shop and just gettin my feet wet i still do better work than they do, i think everyone on that show doesnt take pride in there work just a get er done attitude if they were in the rust belt region i think they'ed be use-ing duct tape for body filler ( quicker drying time) i'd rather watch mythbusters throw a dead pig in a vette and put it in a shipping container

Rick, IMHO, those wheels look like they belong on a gay Batmobile...

Come to think of it, That's what That Mustang looks like to me...:razz:

---

Ok, in all sincerity.....
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

His shop truck, a lifted F250 with tribal graphics, has rims with spikes all the way around the perimeter. I see him all the time on his way to the gym in the morning. Gold star for anyone who can identify which is him and which is the cardboard cut-out behind the car.....

on the episode where they do the 66 chevelle convertible and when the guy and his girl are looking for parts for his 55 buick roadmaster and his girl's ride. i know him personally he works and runs DOUG'S BUGS N BUNNIES VW shop in mesa off of extension and broadway. he is very knowledgable on VW's and he had been cruisin his rides for a long time. when are they going to replay the charger episode? i didn't get to see it last night.

I didnt see that episode, But are you talking about Fish from dougs?

Anyways I like watching this show! \\:D/
I cant turn the channel away, Its just sooo bad it intertaining! Its just freakin funny that they think they are doing great things with these cars!
I dont know, I just think bad acting is hilarious. This show is supposed to be a comedy, right!!!???:thumbrig:

That Rich Evans dude is a tool. He has some skills, but he has an ego too. Probably the next one to get his own show!!!

I was searching for a picture of that A hole and found this story. Interesting....

Rich Evans arrested story

Not to beat a dead horse, because clearly some here have strong negative opinions on this show,,,,but.....my curiosity got the better of me....so bear with me as I soap-box a little....and blow some hot air.

I re-watched parts of the charger show last night (its on my DVR) and for the life of me I still cannot figure out how some folks here can say they "hacked" the body work....

First off, the shots of the car that they use are not long in duration enough to really examine...freezing on the DVR doesnt help much as digital noise makes it look funny...the paint and body doesnt look (to me) as ferocious as some are saying....maybe you know better what to look for, but I dont see "waves and ripples galore" like someone said.....

Are you guys really that good that you can judge a car on tv in about 15 seconds of dutch angled, quickly cut shots spread out over an hour of show?

If you are then I bow to your presence. LOL

They didnt put the new vinyl over the old vinyl as someone suggested, they put it on the black primered roof.

Someone said that they were amazed that they decided to take the headliner down after the body was painted. Well, i bought my car after it just had a fresh repaint and the "original" dirty, light blue headliner was in it....I cleaned and dyed it while it was still in the car and it looks like new. Its not necessary to take down a headliner inside the car to do a repaint outside the car....and I would bet that a few folks here have done the same exact thing. The fact that it turned out to be filled with rat ****, well, who could have predicted that?

Someone question if Legendary could have gotten them the parts that quickly....well, when a company is promised free air time to show their product, they jump to it. Plus, overnight shipping has saved my *** more than a few times.

Lots of pieces are left out of the build process.....like the engine rebuilds.....assuming they are just slapping a coat of paint on an old engine and calling it new is unfair....you cant say that because the editer/producer never shows the engine being rebuilt or not.....it is left out. I am sure there are some guys here who can do a top end rebuild here in their sleep on a day, right?

The frame fix they did on the charger had me wondering too...so i asked an old timer I know with decades of frame experience....and he said 'Well, how the hell do you think they repair frames??? They un-bend 'em!".

to the person who made that comment, what would have been the "right" way to repair that frame section in your opinion...replace it I guess?

Is the car REALLY built in 3 weeks? Who knows. But people picking on things like "the legs of the rack holding up the a body barracuda's rear glass were different in one shot versus the other"....you do realize that this is all shot over a period of weeks, right? And things do move around a shop sometimes in that time....and when they were editing the show, they likely mixed shots from different parts of a day or maybe even parts of a week to form a story line......that said, I am a video producer/ editor by trade for over 20 years and I have an eye for continuity and things that dont feel right when cutting a show together. I can tell you that as far as editing, the show does have a lot of continuity issues.....but thats common in todays TV entertainment....like everything else, speed to completion and cost savings is key...and sometimes continuity is sacrificed to meet deadlines or simply because that is how the shoot went down. But that is a problem in editing/production, not with the people being taped.

I really do think that "the right way" has a lot of definitions to a lot of people.

If they were using spray foam and newspapers to fill in rust holes and masking tape to hold panels on, I would say they are hacks too....clearly the wrong way.

But when the goal is to make a driver-quality car out of a rust heap and then sell it for $15k versus $75k? Lines get blurred.

The "they use used parts" comment is the one that got me the most. No one here uses 100% new parts. Many of us mix and match and use stuff that may not be 100% correct but it will work for now or simply because we like it that way.

If there were more video evidence of things being done "the wrong way" at Desert maybe i would jump on the bandwagon too...but as its stands? The show doesnt show enough of the vehicles to really highlight poor quality etc....what you are seeing could be do to poor lighting, reflections, weird camera angles, etc.

As a reality show overall, it sort of sucks eggs.....clearly some things are staged. And the editing is at times ferocious. BUT THAT IS HOW TV IS MADE! LOL

Cripes...people are falling all over themselves saying how great Graveyard Carz: is and you get MAYBE 10 minutes of car content in an hour of show.....its one big soap opera, and its all staged too! That show I think is actually shot well and edited well, but its a soap opera and that doesnt interest me.....I found myself sitting there watching the BS just because of the promise of Mopar content.

Musclecars is one show I really enjoy because its just about fixing up the car...no BS drama or grab *** antics....just car content that i can use.

Ok...I'll shut my pie hole now......LOL

The most staged yet show was the 66 chevelle convertible episode. All of the SS badges were removed, a non-SS hood was set on the car and was "stuck" so it could not be raised, and the owner had no idea what kind of engine was in the car. And then, the big surprise, after the purchase, when the hood was freed and there was a show-ready rebuilt 396, and the trim tag indicated it was a SS convertible. Please!!

-
Back