desperatly need engine help

-
i never said i wasnt going to... i was gonna check the compression to see if there was issues with that first with the slight optimistic chance that there was no issues, this project has become unbeleivably frustrating to me, please dont start up with the "i told you so's". I dont even have anyone to charge for everything because the dude was just helping me out to get it done by the end of a day

i never said i wasnt going to... i was gonna check the compression to see if there was issues with that first with the slight optimistic chance that there was no issues, this project has become unbeleivably frustrating to me, please dont start up with the "i told you so's". I dont even have anyone to charge for everything because the dude was just helping me out to get it done by the end of a day

Sorry Sky but I couldn't resist. One thing I've learned after building engines for oh 35 yrs. or so is that there are no quick and dirties. Believe me I've tried in the past hopeing that I found all the issues with an engine and not going deep enough into it only to get burned in the long run. You're not the only one here that's had to start all over on an engine, believe me, as a matter a fact as soon as the misses gets home I'm heading to a friends house to check on an engine that had major problems during the cam run in. Good Luck

Terry

If the valve job was done right in the first place, you probably could have placed a straight edge across the tops of the valve and see if you had any significant variations. That may have tipped you off to a bent valve or two, or all of them.

We all have those days and our reasons to rush. It's past, fix it and move on. BTW, sometimes free help, is worth every penny. I've learned over the years who I can rely on in terms of ability and who should just be a guy to eat/drink/hang with. I value all my friends, but not all for the same reasons :D.

wow. update, valves are fine, rings are shot! dude lied through his @$$. im gonna call and chew him out and figure out what to do. now im back to square one after wasting lots of time and money! i know where he lives :)

are you sure the rings are shot? Since it was never started the rings may not be seated properly. If it was rebuilt you should be able to pull a few bearing caps to see if it has new bearings , the cylinders should also be easily identified as being cleaned up. Did your friend come out and tell you that he was full of it and lied to you about the rebuild?
On page 1 of your thread you say you have been working on the rebuild of the 318 for awhile. I don't quite understand how much you where involved in the rebuild. At first it sounded like you where fairly involved and then on page 4 you had no clue that anything was replaced or done?

No the guy told me he was just telling me what he was told about the this engine before he bought it. I bought this supposed rebuilt engine to save some time because i had a deadline to reach at the time. i took the other engine out and dismantled it, then ended up buying this engine with roller assembly already done, and used my engine parts for it. My friend came and did the cam and timing assembly, and i just put everything on the engine, like heads, intake, timing cover waterpump, pan and all accesories and put it back in the car. so no i didnt assemble the rolling assembly and stuff cuz it was all together. gonna do a little exploring still and if it dosent look good im taking it back. im starting to work 6/10's this month so i may just have to park it for awhile :(

skycuda, I am glad you started this thread, I am just about to open up my own engine, I will definatley watchout for this stuff, keep my mind focussed. I hear you about no time though, I am back to 6 11's with some extra hours added on to other days when needed.
Tom

No the guy told me he was just telling me what he was told about the this engine before he bought it. I bought this supposed rebuilt engine to save some time because i had a deadline to reach at the time. i took the other engine out and dismantled it, then ended up buying this engine with roller assembly already done, and used my engine parts for it. My friend came and did the cam and timing assembly, and i just put everything on the engine, like heads, intake, timing cover waterpump, pan and all accesories and put it back in the car. so no i didnt assemble the rolling assembly and stuff cuz it was all together. gonna do a little exploring still and if it dosent look good im taking it back. im starting to work 6/10's this month so i may just have to park it for awhile :(
skycuda, I am glad you started this thread, I am just about to open up my own engine, I will definatley watchout for this stuff, keep my mind focussed. I hear you about no time though, I am back to 6 11's with some extra hours added on to other days when needed.
Tom
Have you got it figured/sorted out yet? These threads are “forever” so let’s have some updates already! :mob:

-
Back