desperatly need engine help

-
ok i just talked with the guy i built the engine with about it and i remember what the dots are are your talking about, i was there and positive when he put the gears on the dots were together just like it showed in the book. when putting on the rockers we went by the book which just said torque the shaft bolts down to 40lbs...but this is and oversized cam afterall. pushrods are RP-3194

ok i just talked with the guy i built the engine with about it and i remember what the dots are are your talking about, i was there and positive when he put the gears on the dots were together just like it showed in the book. when putting on the rockers we went by the book which just said torque the shaft bolts down to 40lbs...but this is and oversized cam afterall. pushrods are RP-3194
those are stock lenght hyd non adjust by the part number but do thay actualy measure 7.5?

Please correct me if I´m wrong but, the length of the pushrod don´t got anything to do with how high the lift is on the cam!?
The lenght of the pushrod depends on if you done any milling to the heads or deck hight on the block and maybe what kind of head gasket you use.
Am I right?

What we are trying to figure out is where the problem is , alot more info is needed finding out what all has been shaved , tweaked "adjusted" if block or heads were milled , aftermarket retainers, springs installed have to see what we are working with here first and foremost~ otherwise how do we know whats correct?

Please, I meant no offense. Just had to get this straight ,for myself, to follow in your trouble shooting.

Please correct me if I´m wrong but, the length of the pushrod don´t got anything to do with how high the lift is on the cam!?
The lenght of the pushrod depends on if you done any milling to the heads or deck hight on the block and maybe what kind of head gasket you use.
Am I right?
In a nut shell any deviation from stock has to be addressed period!

Skycuda, If the cam was put in with both dots lined up to each other then your on the wrong stroke. That is only if the distributor was dropped in pointing at #1 with both dots lined up. When you line the dots up together you are tdc on the number 6 piston of the compression stroke. . It's an easy fix. You can just pull the distributor out and rotate the distributor rotor 180 degrees so it is pointing at the number 6 on the cap or move your plug wires to match up to the distributor.

Skycuda, If the cam was put in with both dots lined up to each other then your on the wrong stroke. That is only if the distributor was dropped in pointing at #1 with both dots lined up. When you line the dots up together you are tdc on the number 6 piston of the compression stroke. . It's an easy fix. You can just pull the distributor out and rotate the distributor rotor 180 degrees so it is pointing at the number 6 on the cap or move your plug wires to match up to the distributor.
And this fixes the bent pushrods how?

I don't think bent pushrods can be fixed. Once they are bent they are kind of useless. I would get the engine setup correctly first and then go back to figuring out what went wrong.

I don't think bent pushrods can be fixed. Once they are bent they are kind of useless. I would get the engine setup correctly first and then go back to figuring out what went wrong.
ok thats it 63dartman i'm coming down to Rio Ranch and poking you in the eye with a bent push rod!

lmao. thats awesome. ok so just for kicks i took two straight rods, and put them back in cyliner 1, and turned it over a couple times by hand, and the cylinder built up its compression, the valves opened right, and best of all it didnt bend the rods. i mean if they were gonna bend still wouldnt they have? im hoping it was just that the lifters werent pumped up?

LOL dotch, Glad to see there are some people with a sense of humor. I've been down the bent pushrod road and it can be frustrating at times.

lmao. thats awesome. ok so just for kicks i took two straight rods, and put them back in cyliner 1, and turned it over a couple times by hand, and the cylinder built up its compression, the valves opened right, and best of all it didnt bend the rods. i mean if they were gonna bend still wouldnt they have? im hoping it was just that the lifters werent pumped up?
ok so looks like your lifters were pumped up at one time , I would check them all before doing this again? Oh and your not going to check for spring bind, retainer interferance or lifter preload? Where is the little popcorn eating smiley?
Oh and how did you get new straight pushrods so fast?:scratch:

Check the lifters with a push rod try to push down with the plunger if you cant push down they are pumped up and must be dissasembled and drained { or toss in a new set} it will be a little hard to start with empty lifters and will backfire , fart and wheeze for 2-3 mins run it up to 2000 rpm and keep it there for atleast 2 mins{make sure you put a some sort of cam break in lube on the base of the lifters}
oh and your going to HATE that CAM in a 318
HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!
Hope you dont have a single plane intake and HighWay gears OMFG your going to hate it!

I see in your future trouble:
Fouled plugs, 1200 rpm idle
Pathetic fuel mileage
NO power
Stalling
HORRIBLE IDLE
utter dissapointment!
Detonation ,timing woes!

ok looks like i made a rookie mistake. didnt empty the lifters so all of em were topped out when i put em in :/. just got my new pushrods and im emptying the lifters now

Before you go crazy putting it back together, get a pair of valve checking springs and determine whether you have adequate retainer to guide clearance. You'll need a dial indicator too.

What's the solid height on your valve springs?

Bending one pushrod is a fluke, bending almost every one is a real issue, and IMHO, not likely caused by pumped up lifters.

You need to determine what actually caused the issue, otherwise, you'll be pulling it apart again.

Before you go crazy putting it back together, get a pair of valve checking springs and determine whether you have adequate retainer to guide clearance. You'll need a dial indicator too.

What's the solid height on your valve springs?

Bending one pushrod is a fluke, bending almost every one is a real issue, and IMHO, not likely caused by pumped up lifters.

You need to determine what actually caused the issue, otherwise, you'll be pulling it apart again.
solid height is 483 :lol::lol: No No No lem me stop

correct...You do not want them pumped up full of oil went you go to start the engine...

cause it can cause you to bend valves and/or pushrods

so most of you agree empty the lifters an put in the new rods and i should be ok? and about the cam, its what came with the block and rolling assembly, im hoping its not as horrible as you guys are saying. lol, im running nonported 340 heads with 9.5:1 dual dish forged pistons .040 over. will it be all that awful?

so most of you agree empty the lifters an put in the new rods and i should be ok? and about the cam, its what came with the block and rolling assembly, im hoping its not as horrible as you guys are saying. lol, im running nonported 340 heads with 9.5:1 dual dish forged pistons .040 over. will it be all that awful?
look at it this way if you have never had a cam that works well
in a particular combination you will never know what your missing..
man im hanging out here making trouble today ...I realy must not want to go
pull that trans pan and play in the fluid!

I don't think you'll be ok, but, do as you please!

lifter must be pumped up or another words full of oil before valves are adjusted

-
Back