Determining 1967 273 numbers matching?

-

BooGTS

Reaction score
Hi, we are swapping out the 273 in our 67 Barracuda with a 340 and a 4spd. Question is, do we keep the original drivetrain? Is it even original? I've found numerous 1969+ guides on how to tell, but not for a 67. It does have some numbers stamped on the front of the head, but I'm not sure what to match them up to.

No "numbers matching" in 67. That started sometime in 68. I would keep the original 273 as long as it's not in the way. 2 or 4 barrel engine?

Chrysler didn't start VIN stamping motors until 1969. The best you can do is check the dates.

You have the casting date of the block, heads, manifolds, etc. The numbers stamped into the front of the engine give the assembly date. First letter is the model year starting with A for 65, B for 66 etc. Next comes displacement. So A273 is a 273 for a 1965 car. After that comes the month and day.

The fender tag gives the scheduled build date of the car. The motor should be before the car, but in my experience it's not by that much. I've seen less than a week, but longer can also be correct.

For example: [FOR SALE] - 1965 Barracuda Parts

Last edited:
There were partial vin's on the back of some 68 blocks. Just sayin'

4 barrel. It kinda will be in the way, only have a 2 car garage at the moment.
I would save it if you could. The HP273's are next down on the "collectable" list from 340's. It will at least be properly date coded. There were roughly 3000 4 speeds and 7000 automatics made with the HP273. 273 was the only small block V8 in 67.

Last edited:
Will try to keep it around then. I've been casually looking for something cheap, needing a drivetrain that I could use as a DD to "save" it as well.

For 1967 and older, matching numbers means casting numbers/dates would be correct considering the production date of your car.

Post a pic up of the 273, it could be a 2bl with a 4bl intake, or it could be a commando. Dual point dist., 4bl intake, hi comp.pistons, chrome air breather and black "finned" valve covers.

The reality is that even having the "original" (or date correct) block/engine will add little to no value at the end of the day, maybe on a big block car. With a 273, down the road one would need to find a date correct block (2bbl & 4bbl are the same). On my recent build I didn't bother it has a 66 model year block in it.

Alan

The way I look at it, if you're going to sink $2500 plus into an engine rebuild, you might as well spend a few hundred extra to source a date correct block. It might not add value today, but down the road, who knows?

Didn't the 318LA make it's debut in '67 in other models? Up here in Canuckleland, we had the old "A" engine leftover for 1 more year.
Yes it did but not in the Barracudas. Probably Dart's too. I didn't look.

-
Back