Did i installed my sway bar wrong?

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
i7288_dsc-0413.jpg

i7287_dsc-0414.jpg

I can't see enough of the bar pivots, but the bar belongs on the upper side of the lower control arm tabs. Is that the correct bar?

A photo of the early style, '70

Attachments

• 70sway.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 562
Yes it is the correct bar i think i have to install the bar on the lower control arm tap first and then it goes up near the shock right

FYI, the pic 67dart273 posted is also correct for 69 cuda/valiant. I would assume 69 dart would be the same

72 valiant with 72k-member and 73 suspension parts, like pit man arm, idler arm, spinels and so on but the sway bar and lcas are 72 too

The bar goes above the LCA tab, as does the link. The diagram sent is right. It is hard to get the links through the bar end if you bolt the bar to the K-frame tight first. Put everything together very loose and then start tightening the bolts and nuts in a pattern a few turns on each, a bit at a time until tight. Once tight it should all line up and look right. The bump in the middle of the bar goes up and on some models a body brace goes under it. This should be true of a 72. I'll send photos from my 70 Dart when I get home on Saturday.

As stated, it is NOT correct. The bar and end links need to be above the tab on the early bars.

Most end link kits contain parts for both pre 73 and 73 up. The pre 74 uses the longer bolt, spader tube, on top of the arms tab. 73 and up uses the shorter bolt, spacer tube.....
Actually I dont know for sure the setup you have there wouldn't function just fine.

To be honest, the bar will actually work in the position you have it mounted, it hangs lower, and the geometry is not optimal (LCA arm will be "pulling" on the bar instead of pushing) lending some different stresses on the sway bar linkage. With that said it will still work!

(We actually mounted a sway bar like this on a race car due to some other constraints - it worked fine!)

something like this?

Attachments

• 4-25-2011%20Completed%20brake,%20shock%20&%20anti%20roll%20bar%20-%20right.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 503
One thing about this worth mentioning... If that bar is on the top as OEM, The 73 up disc calipers will hit it. That is why moving the calipers, alternate longer fluid hoses, etc... are typical.

Yes it goes above the sway bar tab on the lower control arm. Here is a picture of the one in my 1967 Barracuda. My disk brake calipers hit the sway bar so I swapped sides with steering knuckles and moved the calipers to the rear...... works great!

Attachments

• IMG_0680_edit.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 499
I'm guessing #13 is an aftermarket bar, but there is an important difference between the shop drawing I posted of the EARLY bar, and the photo in 13

The early bars, which mount below the K member, have the LCA tabs on the BOTTOM of the LCA, as yours are

The late FACTORY bars, which thread INSIDE the K member, have the LCA tabs on the UPPER side of the LCA, more similar to #13. Hard to see, but those LCA brackets/ tabs appear to me to be aftermarket.

Post #15 also shows an early, "low bracket" LCA

I'm guessing #13 is an aftermarket bar, but there is an important difference between the shop drawing I posted of the EARLY bar, and the photo in 13

The early bars, which mount below the K member, have the LCA tabs on the BOTTOM of the LCA, as yours are

The late FACTORY bars, which thread INSIDE the K member, have the LCA tabs on the UPPER side of the LCA, more similar to #13. Hard to see, but those LCA brackets/ tabs appear to me to be aftermarket.

Post #15 also shows an early, "low bracket" LCA

It is an aftermarket bar. It was installed when I bought this car as a basketcase.
#1. I want to make sure it is right, #2. I have a sway bar for a 71 dart I am going to install.Thanks.
Jim

Number 13 is correct for an aftermarket bar using mounting tab on the shock bolts. If your car is equipped with oem tab then it mounts above those tabs.
52984263613956306604213.jpg

I would really like to know if there is any difference in handling one way or the other.
It cabt be as complez as Akerman principles. So long as we dont bend the end link, we're golden ? Or could switching from above to below increase the body roll ?

Attached are photos of the stock sway bar set up and the aftermarket sway bar on two of my 70 darts. Both use stock LCA mounting tabs like your car. For clearance for the turning wheels/tire/brakes and to avoid potential snags with the link sticking down toward the ground I suggest that you install the bar above the tabs.. Let us know what you did and how it worked!

Attachments

• 70 swinger front end March 2010 005.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 386
Here are pics of both styles from A-bodies. The early 67-72 the bar goes above the tab on the LCA. On the later 73 to 76 the bar goes below the LCA tab. The suspension in the pictures below with the red bushings is 73 to 76 . The other is 67 to 72.

Also note the longer bar link on the early style. Your links pictured are for the later bar but installed on a early suspension the wrong way

Attachments

• susp4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 783
  • susp3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 284
  • susp2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 633
  • susp1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 280
  • susp5.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 269
-