Did they make 5x4” axles for 8 3/4 rear ends?

-
just make sure the center hub is for that 4'' bc the 4 1/2 '' hub is to big to fit the stock wheel center holes .

just make sure the center hub is for that 4'' bc the 4 1/2 '' hub is to big to fit the stock wheel center holes .
Where in Pomona are ya? My first house was on Randolph off the White exit

Oh, San Jose! Nevermind, lol

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the rear housing where the housing end attached to the housing tube
Tried to pull it up on eBay, the listing was for an A body 8 3/4 rear end for a 67-76 Dart, Duster or Cuda. My mechanic says the housing is fine

72dodgeguy i'm up state in sj , my street was pomona , and oneof my cars is a missile with the lic plate says missel . just a word play . had a customer build a re with the small pattern but they didn't reduce the hub size . we had to pill it apart and resize the center hubs are selves . we left enough lip for the larger drums center hole .
DSC00029.JPG

72dodgeguy i'm up state in sj , my street was pomona , and oneof my cars is a missile with the lic plate says missel . just a word play . had a customer build a re with the small pattern but they didn't reduce the hub size . we had to pill it apart and resize the center hubs are selves . we left enough lip for the larger drums center hole . View attachment 1715972503
Purdy smart!

customer wanted the 11'' brakes . so 72 chrysler drums fit he application with a repattern of the 4''bc on the drums .
DSC00089.JPG

The small bolt pattern 8 3/4 axles were only used in A bodys. They never had BBP from the factory until 73 when they changed to the 8 1/4.
I often wonder why mopar did stupid things like this. It couldn't have been any cheaper to make SBP axles. Part standardization would have saved them much more.
I dont know if it was mentioned here or not but you need to make sure you have the correct backing plates for the SBP axles.

Man, Piss On that cat, Dude! He's a dick, possibly a crook
Dude, he’s the best builder in San Diego. Does all the race cars down here. He’s just a guy that knows what he knows until you prove him wrong with real solid proof. I’ve got that. He said he’d replace them. Do axles get thinner if the bolt pattern gets smaller?

i also built some rear rims using the 14'' 5 on 4 centers into some 15x8 bands , so he could keep his full hub caps per the customers requirements
DSC00031.JPG
DSC00048.JPG
DSC00049.JPG
DSC00099.JPG
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00101.JPG

The small bolt pattern 8 3/4 axles were only used in A bodys. They never had BBP from the factory until 73 when they changed to the 8 1/4.
I often wonder why mopar did stupid things like this. It couldn't have been any cheaper to make SBP axles. Part standardization would have saved them much more.
I dont know if it was mentioned here or not but you need to make sure you have the correct backing plates for the SBP axles.
I’ll have those plates on my 7 1/4 axle right?

well this 70 dart more door sed will be a 500hp 440 727 w/gv dana 60 4.10 track locker . we needed some rubber on the rear , it's a sleeper , just like granny drove to church , lol . its just not red !

Your builder said he’d swap the axles for SBP, do you know if the new SBP axles will have the correct offset for your backing plates.

If you plan on using your 7 1/4 rear end backing plates it better have the SBP or the backing plates will not work.

Dude, I’m putting a cammed 408 Stroker in my 72 Swinger with a 727 built Solid Billet tranny. Way more than I need. Whole trans was built by hand. Everything is paid for, lol Interior gets finished in a couple of weeks. It will be a new car when it’s done

I’ll have those plates on my 7 1/4 axle right
No.

The backing plates on a 7 1/4 will not fit 8 3/4.

Center bearing hole is smaller on 7 1/4
7 1/4 only has 4 bolts vs 5.

5x4" 10x1.75 drums will work as well as the hardware.

Your builder said he’d swap the axles for SBP, do you know if the new SBP axles will have the correct offset for your backing plates.

If you plan on using your 7 1/4 rear end backing plates it better have the SBP or the backing plates will not work.
Oh, I don’t even want to have to worry about that! I paid for him to build me a drop in rear end. He’ll take care of that

yes the true 4'' bc a body rear ends were different from the 4 1/2 '' bc re's there is less axle sticking out of the housing on the 4'' verses the 4 1/2 '' . you need to know what he's ordered for the drums and backing plates you can use .

No.

The backing plates on a 7 1/4 will not fit 8 3/4.

Center bearing hole is smaller on 7 1/4
7 1/4 only has 4 bolts vs 5.

5x4" 10x1.75 drums will work as well as the hardware.
Backing plates would be part of the build, right?

-
Back