Difference in a 273 2 barrel and a Commando Block?

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
Is there a difference in a 273 2 barrel and a Commando Block? Is there a difference between the block from a solid to a hydraulic lifter motor? I have a block but some guy is saying there is a difference in the block. I thought they were they same...

Is there a difference in a 273 2 barrel and a Commando Block? Is there a difference between the block from a solid to a hydraulic lifter motor? I have a block but some guy is saying there is a difference in the block. I thought they were they same...

they are the same 273 commando motor had 10.75 dome piston and a little bigger solid cam the heads are 1.72 intake exhaust 1.58 i think 2 barrel motor has like 8.5 to 9.1 4 valve relief in piston the blocks are the same all 273 was a solid lift cam motors

Thanks that is what I thought. Going back and forth with some guy for a block and new cam for 70 bucks. I would probably just taken 40 if the guy was cool.

273 Engine Blocks

The 'bare' Blocks are all the same.............

Casting #2465330 --- {1964 thru 1966}
Casting #2806030 --- {1966 thru 1969}

There is no material difference, or any additional Main webbing.

Thanks that is what I thought. Going back and forth with some guy for a block and new cam for 70 bucks. I would probably just taken 40 if the guy was cool.

$40 for a 273 block? Is it cracked, have a motor mount ear broken off, totally covered in a thick layer of scaley rust? How could a guy haggle over that price?

I always thought about trying to make a nice little econo-sipper (relatively speaking of course) out of a 273. Now I'm not sure if it is even viable as the piston availability for the 273 has got to be extremely limited.

Its a good block bored 30 over has some surface rust and needs to be cleaned up. I don't have the space nor do I need it.

Overhead at 'Mopars at Carlisle' in Pennyslvania.

* 273 Commando Blocks were 4-Bolt Mains
* 273 Commando's had 'tuftrided' Crankshafts
* 273 Commando's had 'special' thicker Main Caps
* 273 Commando Blocks had 'O-Ringed' Decks, because they had 12.0-1 Pistons

The things you hear..........

Where does he get his information; from some chevy guy???

The difference is you have it, and he doesn't.

Where does he get his information; from some chevy guy???

The difference is you have it, and he doesn't.
Yes I like this one,chevy guys=know it alls who know nothing and drive fords...badmouth dodges and rant....as they jump in the datsun pu and drive away...yea we know the type...suspect we have a few among us..lmao..

Lol... all wrong!

Definitely Chevy guys!

He said the angle on the lifters is 4 degrees different b/c the commando motor is a solid lifter motor.
Wrong!

Lol... all wrong!
Correct!

Wait.......

If you look closely you can see the 4* Lifter Bore Off-Set, and the Easter Bunny.

th

Nothing block wise. I had a dude tell me he had a stock 275 cid slant six in his belvedere. "Wow, never heard of that"..."yeah, they made them bigger for the larger cars." The guy really believed that and we were at a mopar show!

This is what he wrote after I showed him this link.

"you should read the threads about how to convert a solid lifter engine to a hydrolic. the lifters do not even fit in the blocks buddy...your forums sare not always correct..."

This is what he wrote after I showed him this link.

"you should read the threads about how to convert a solid lifter engine to a hydrolic. the lifters do not even fit in the blocks buddy...your forums sare not always correct..."

lmao, you should post that in the jokes and funny stuff thread:violent1:

-
Back