Differences in US verus Canadian cars?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
I bought a 1965 Service Manual for Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Valiant/Imperial. On the cover it says "Sales Division Chrysler Canada Ltd" and also "Windsor" and "Ontario".

My 1965 Dart was made near Michigan.

Can the info from my 'Canadian' manual be used on my 'US' made car? Or do I need a 'Service Manual' strickly for US made Chrysler cars?

Absolutley no disrespect implied to my friends north of the border! So don't try and read anything into this question. My dad was born in Cranbrook, British Columbia!

I just want to know if the info from the manual for Canadian cars can be used on my US made one that's all!

I bought the manual from 4spdragtop and he seemed to think there would be no trouble. Anyone else have an idea?

Glenn

I bought a 1965 Service Manual for Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Valiant/Imperial. On the cover it says "Sales Division Chrysler Canada Ltd" and also "Windsor" and "Ontario".

My 1965 Dart was made near Michigan.

Can the info from my 'Canadian' manual be used on my 'US' made car? Or do I need a 'Service Manual' strickly for US made Chrysler cars?

Absolutley no disrespect implied to my friends north of the border! So don't try and read anything into this question. My dad was born in Cranbrook, British Columbia!

I just want to know if the info from the manual for Canadian cars can used on my US made one that's all!

I bought the manual from 4spdragtop and he seemed to think there would be no trouble. Anyone else have an idea?

Glenn

Is the manual specs in metric? That could goof you up. tmm

Under 'engine' the spark plugs should be gapped at.035 inches. The intake valves should be adjusted to .013 inch clearance and exhaust valves to .021 inch clearance.

Most numbers seem to be in tenths of inches not millimeters. I see references to foot-pound and inch-pounds.

Don't seem to see anything looking like millimeters at all.

Great point though.

Glenn

The metric system did not start in Canada till the early 80's. the main difference would be in trim and names, US darts are called Valiants in Canada, so some of your part numbers will be incorrect but he mechanical assy will be the same.

Thanks Mike. I learned something today. tmm

I'm near Windsor, ON and the plant is still here pumping out minivans daily.

I love old litature about Windsor built vehicles.

Riddler

Well I got the manual from 4spdragtop and cannot complain about the price at all. I certainly got my money's worth.:cheers:

Glenn

You'll also find the VIN decoding section in the front of the book is way different compared to the US version. 90% of the manual is the same.

here is my Canadian Valiant Custom 200 (US Dart Custom 270). All other Valiant trim levels in 65 were the Valiant body style. Only the Custom 200 used the US dart body.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!hME-YE6Vj84BP42eu5jSw~~48_20.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 140
-
Back