Different LCA's?

-
I put both the new left LCA and original on my bench in the installed position then inserted the old strut rod into each. With the pivot bolt at the same height on both, the new LCA distance from the middle of the end of the strut rod to the bench was 1.75" and on the old LCA, it measured 2.75. The new left QA1 LCA's do not have the correct angle on the strut rod loop.

How does the measurement look on the new passenger side LCA? Same as the new driver's side?

How does the measurement look on the new passenger side LCA? Same as the new driver's side?
The right side rod distance measures exactly the same as the original left side LCA, which tells me the jig they are using when they weld up the driver side is off.

Send us pics! C'mon were dying here! I think the wrong LCA was sent.....to F up on a jig for mass production is unlikely in my mind. Send pics or both LCA's back and ask for the mate to the one that fits. I bet its the wrong part number in the right box or something. I had a starter that was an issue. We opened 3 boxes at the parts store and all the contents were identically wrong! a week later he told me the rebuilder sent out a memo recalling all those starters (Ford 335 block series) as mislabeled.

Last edited:
Send us pics! C'mon were dying here! I think the wrong LCA was sent.....to F up on a jig for mass production is unlikely in my mind.
Well, I could have believed one set was mispackaged, but I got one set from Summit and the other directly from QA1.

Summit and QA1...who packaged both. Im assuming the 2 came in 2 boxes or a "matched set"? I would believe 2 boxes would be easier to foul up but 2 in the same box as a set would be pretty easy to see a difference when they were packing them. Get a pic out to them with a ruler showing the F up. Those guys should know their products! Now. What LCA did you get? What Mopar has a different LCA that matches your bad ones specs. E-body, F, B?

A's and B's next to each other. B on top. Not sure where your variance is on the QA1 part.

154734-55bcd272ac2cc2f6b7eafb69f83a89a4.jpg

B or E body Tubular LCA on A body

Summit and QA1...who packaged both. Im assuming the 2 came in 2 boxes or a "matched set"? I would believe 2 boxes would be easier to foul up but 2 in the same box as a set would be pretty easy to see a difference when they were packing them. Get a pic out to them with a ruler showing the F up. Those guys should know their products! Now. What LCA did you get? What Mopar has a different LCA that matches your bad ones specs. E-body, F, B?
OK sports fans, here goes. I am thinking the 52307 LCA's that I installed are the wrong application for my '70 Duster. QA1 does not list this LCA for the '70. I was thinking that I just upgraded my front brakes to '73 disc so apparently had '73 on my brain when I ordered the LCA's. The hogwash about QA1 using the wrong jig was just that, hogwash. Also, QA1 does not sell an A body K-member for anything newer than a '72, though I read some have successfully installed it. Am going to reinstall my OE LCA's and move on with life. This was an expensive, mentally challenging exercise for me. Guess I will be selling some LCA's in the "for sale" area soon! Thanks to everyone for all the input.

The title still fits "Different LCA's" Congrats for finding closure (and telling us about it). Doesn't really explain the mismatch but hey, your past that. I dont like that heim joint anyway.

I put both the new left LCA and original on my bench in the installed position then inserted the old strut rod into each. With the pivot bolt at the same height on both, the new LCA distance from the middle of the end of the strut rod to the bench was 1.75" and on the old LCA, it measured 2.75. The new left QA1 LCA's do not have the correct angle on the strut rod loop.

It sounds like you've narrowed it down to a bad run of control arms. I would take pictures of how your old one will make the strut rid line up how they have different angles holding the strut rod and everything. If they're interested, they'll listen.

OK sports fans, here goes. I am thinking the 52307 LCA's that I installed are the wrong application for my '70 Duster. QA1 does not list this LCA for the '70. I was thinking that I just upgraded my front brakes to '73 disc so apparently had '73 on my brain when I ordered the LCA's. The hogwash about QA1 using the wrong jig was just that, hogwash. Also, QA1 does not sell an A body K-member for anything newer than a '72, though I read some have successfully installed it. Am going to reinstall my OE LCA's and move on with life. This was an expensive, mentally challenging exercise for me. Guess I will be selling some LCA's in the "for sale" area soon! Thanks to everyone for all the input.

But now hang on, buckwheat. How does that explain how one arm fits and the other doesn't?

But now hang on, buckwheat. How does that explain how one arm fits and the other doesn't?
The '73 style arms must have a different strut rod loop angle on the driver side. Cannot explain it otherwise. Have already started reinstalling the OE LCA's. Amazing how the strut rods almost fell into place. The PST strut sleeve is fatter than the OE strut, so had to get my dremel out and shave a little off the area where the strut rod connects to the LCA. Other than that, was an easy job. Sure was a learning experience though.

The '73 style arms must have a different strut rod loop angle on the driver side. Cannot explain it otherwise. Have already started reinstalling the OE LCA's. Amazing how the strut rods almost fell into place. The PST strut sleeve is fatter than the OE strut, so had to get my dremel out and shave a little off the area where the strut rod connects to the LCA. Other than that, was an easy job. Sure was a learning experience though.

Glad you got it figured out!

I recall the strut rods changing somewhere in the 70-72 era but I can't recall any specifics. Iirc, there was a thread pitch change at the some time that could identify them. It was in a Mopar Action tech discussion several years ago.

OP, do yourself a favor. Write down what parts you end up using and put it in a binder, so ten years from now you'll remember this. This is why I try not to pull parts from a variety of vehicles; when I updated my '72, I pulled everything from a '74, k frame to control arms.

When I need front end stuff, it's ALL '74

The right side rod distance measures exactly the same as the original left side LCA, which tells me the jig they are using when they weld up the driver side is off.

Now aren't you glad you didn't get the big hammer out ? :thumbsup: Glad you got the tape measure out 1st !

Compare the lengths of both new ones. If correct they should be the same. Definitely sound like defective or wrong arm in packaging .

-
Back