[WANTED] Differential for 67 Barracuda

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
just post a picture of yours, that would save everyone a lot of time
does it come out the front or is there a cover on the back ?
do you need just the spider gears and carrier or drum to drum ?

Mine had a 2.93 ring n pinion, I take it you meant 5 diff gear ratios because there would have been only 2 rear diffs 7 1/4 & 8 3/4

Mine had a 2.93 ring n pinion, I take it you meant 5 diff gear ratios because there would have been only 2 rear diffs 7 1/4 & 8 3/4
8.25???
Dana 60??
treblig

From what my mechanic tells me, there are a variety of housing shapes and only one will fit into my car. I'm sorry but I'm not the mechanic so I can only go with what he is telling me. Any thoughts?

From what my mechanic tells me, there are a variety of housing shapes and only one will fit into my car. I'm sorry but I'm not the mechanic so I can only go with what he is telling me. Any thoughts?

There were two axles made for that car back then, 7 1/4" and 8 3/4"....

Either one will fit, but you have to get the proper mating parts for it...

Good luck finding an 8 3/4" for it, they are rare and $$$$....

Your mechanic is not correct, MOPAROFFICIAL is correct, if you take away the Dana 60's in the Hemi Super Stock A Bodies. Treblig is correct in that those rears were made OEM for A Bodies and work fine. Why do you want a different differential?

Do you have the small bolt pattern, 5 studs x 4.00 inch circle? Next, do you have a bolt on rear cover? If you could post a picture or two of the back and the wheel showing the lug nuts or studs, a lot of the guys and gals here could tell by looking.

Mine is shot and needs to be replaced otherwise I wouldn't touch it.
You're going to have to make a decision??? Your car probably came with a 7 1/4" rear end which is the cheapest and the weakest. If you're running a /6 or small V8 the 7 1/4" is fine. If you're running more power then you might want a 8.25 or larger. Your decision will be based on how much you want to spend and how much engine you have. I've given away one 7 1/4" rear end.....I've seen more than one 7 1/4" rear end given away "FREE" on this site so you shouldn't have to spend much for one of those.
You need to tell the FABO members what you need "specifically" OR ask more questions if you like??

PS - Also what 66fs wrote (above)............

Treblig

what engine trans combo do you have . most /6 autos came with a 7 1/4 spicer , heavy duty and hipo cars came with 8 3/4 . both of them came in the small bolt patterns . this is what the 8 3/4 housing looks like from the rear on springs .
DSC07070.JPG

two barrel carb auto ? a bodies with 7 1/4 and 8 3/4 have a small wheel bolt pattern , 4'' dia bolt circle and the reg hubs are smaller also . not sure ifv 8 1/4 came in that 4'' pattern . shipping a r/e would be costly , but i have one for sale here in sj ca from a driver going big block .

two barrel carb auto ? a bodies with 7 1/4 and 8 3/4 have a small wheel bolt pattern , 4'' dia bolt circle and the reg hubs are smaller also . not sure ifv 8 1/4 came in that 4'' pattern . shipping a r/e would be costly , but i have one for sale here in sj ca from a driver going big block .

Yes, two-barrel carb. What you describe seems to be what my mechanic is looking for. Before I even run this past him, I'd like to get an idea of cost for the part and a guesstimate on the shipping across country. Thank you so much.

Yes get a new mechanic, get a camera and take a picture. How do you know it's broke ? might just need spider gears very easy fix. And cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back