?Digital optical audio?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Ya know if "they" (the thems) keep improving things, pretty soon things will be improved so much, NObody will be able to use 'em

Bought this (turns out POS) Samsung TV. Of COURSE it has no conventional electrical audio output, but it DOES have a little hickey labeled "digital optical audio output"

So I ordered the thing below. All it gives me is an odd pulsing sound in the speakers. Is there some other format of this stuff I need a different "converter?"

Or is my Hong Kong, T.I whone converter a dud?

2exyhs1.jpg

2cmu9g5.jpg

Does the TV have anything in the menu's to select optical as an audio output?

Maybe give me the model number and I can take a look at it's manual and options.

Thanks man (TB) that was it "sort of." LOL

Something in the menu called SPDIF output

It was on "Dolby Digital" and I tried "PCM" That got audio, OK, but then you have to argue with "audio delay" to sync the optical with the internal speakers

AND WHEN I GET ALL DONE The volume and mute only controls the internal speakers.

the "entire reason" for this nonsense is that for whatever reason, when an external video device is hooked to any input, the audio output is less than the TV over the air.

A tape or DVD is barely adequate with the volume "twoblocked"

1436294656186.jpg

All in all this appears to have been a great waste of money and time. When the warrantee expires, assuming I don't do high velocity penetration tests, I'll just "dig into" it and tap into the internal speakers, and then pad it down to line output levels.

Mine's the same way. All of my tv's are like that now except the one old-timer.The internal audio output level settings,are out to lunch.What are those guys thinking? It's a conspiracy I tell ya......I might need to daisy chain some amps together so my mains have something to work with.
In the meantime I just sit closer to the rack. I can see more better that way anyhow..........

All they had to do to satisfy me is provide a line level (RCA) analog, output that I can feed into the stereo the same way I always have.

If this damn thing was designed correctly, I wouldn't "need" to do so.

By the way, watching "Reservoir Dogs" tonight

It's common on TV (even real good ones) to have a standard level of output so it doesn't overpower the input on amps.
They kind of count on the fact that volume controls and such are going to be handled by an external device with it's own controls.

It's common on TV (even real good ones) to have a standard level of output so it doesn't overpower the input on amps.
They kind of count on the fact that volume controls and such are going to be handled by an external device with it's own controls.

I had a car stereo head unit with non-amplified audio out RCA jacks. There were no amplifiers in the head unit to degrade the output signal. The TV or the converter's manufacturer's tech line should be able to help you sort out your signal noise issue.

You can use a receiver that has the inputs to match your TV, but you should also be able to convert the signal into analog for your existing system without having that noise. You may just need a different converter. If the sound system has an HDMI input/pass through, you can just plug that into the TV, as the sound comes through that digitally too.

does this mean I STILL can barely hear the friggin T V !??? ha

I threw a set of computer speakers / amp on it to try the concept. But of course NOW we are back to 'getting out of the chair' to adjust the sound.

you should also be able to convert the signal into analog for your existing system without having that noise. You may just need a different converter. If the sound system has an HDMI input/pass through, you can just plug that into the TV, as the sound comes through that digitally too.

Well read what I posted, I guess. I DID get this to work, just can't adjust the volume. The problem is not with the external device, THEY worked fine with my other TV

I threw a set of computer speakers / amp on it to try the concept. But of course NOW we are back to 'getting out of the chair' to adjust the sound.

Exactly why you need a receiver/sound system with remote now. :D

What would you think about a pair of wireless stereo headphones?
They are pretty nice if you can live with the idea, but probably about as much as a used receiver and speakers.

My dad has two of those boxes at his house...and they both work great going into stereo amplifiers. They were pretty much noise free too.

The coaxial or toslink output has no way to adjust the volume, it's just a digital signal.

My best recommendation for TV audio is either an HDMI switching stereo or a soundbar. I suggest a Yamaha for either.

Exactly why you need a receiver/sound system with remote now. :D

What would you think about a pair of wireless stereo headphones?
They are pretty nice if you can live with the idea, but probably about as much as a used receiver and speakers.

Actually LOL I have an "antique" JVC with remote. Damn thing is huge. The remote is so complicated it has a "door" on the remote which exposes a second layor of buttons

All they had to do to satisfy me is provide a line level (RCA) analog, output that I can feed into the stereo the same way I always have.

If this damn thing was designed correctly, I wouldn't "need" to do so.

By the way, watching "Reservoir Dogs" tonight

If the TV has a headphone jack, it can be used as an analog line output, you'll need to get one of those patch cables with the 1/8" stereo headphone plug on 1 end and white and red colored RCA plugs (or jacks if you prefer) on the other end.

With the TV volume set to 0 (so you don't overdrive the amp aux input) set amp to a normal listening volume level, then slowly adjust TV volume up to the desired listening level, remember that volume level for future use, of course some channels may be louder/softer than others so a slight adjustment may be necessary.

I set my Amp at half volume which is quite loud when playing (err, jamming out) tunes or watching movies then use the TV volume to adjust the level, I would never need the TV "that" loud from the amp.

If the TV has a headphone jack,............

That's just it...........no..........and why in part I'm so upset. "They" designed this thing poorly, with low audio output form accessories, necessitating what it is that I'm doing, and yet they DID put in this fancy "optical" BS with which you need further special equipment.

Tv should have HDMI connections. Are you using this TV to get over the air signals? If so I think you are in the minority. Other wise you need to get sound input between the DVD, set top box .....whatever, then the TV is only used as a video monitor. BUT you wont be using the TV remote to change the volume. As said a HDMI switching receiver is best. Or do a speakeredictmy, and put outputs inside the set from the inputs of the speakers. TVs are getting less and less analog driven. And optical is not very popular either, HDMI seems to be the winning format for the future. What is model of set?

Until a few years ago I worked for Verizon on their lightspan/fiber fed multiplexers. The biggest problem with the fiber connections is dust/dirt and a thing called the critical angle on the fiber. That's the angle which breaks the fiber so no sharp 90 degree turns. We used alcohol to clean the fiber ends and a blast of compressed air. You can get the air in aerosol cans. On my new LED tv I have a sound bar with a wired connection. It uses a second remote and works really well. It wasn't that expensive, about 60 bucks and is good enough for my 69 year old ears. I have no idea why they include optical outputs on tv's but it's a PITA to get working and can need constant attention. I picked my output off the headset jack on the back of the tv. I hope that helps.

Tv should have HDMI connections. Are you using this TV to get over the air signals? If so I think you are in the minority. Other wise you need to get sound input between the DVD, set top box .....whatever, then the TV is only used as a video monitor. BUT you wont be using the TV remote to change the volume. As said a HDMI switching receiver is best. Or do a speakeredictmy, and put outputs inside the set from the inputs of the speakers. TVs are getting less and less analog driven. And optical is not very popular either, HDMI seems to be the winning format for the future. What is model of set?

Here's the deal...........

The TV "over the air" works OK. Please read what I posted

I have THREE external devices

1...ROKU in on HDMI which works OK

2....An older VHS / DVD player recorder on component video / audio and "RCA" audio

3....A newer DVD play in on HDMI

The two LAST external devices are LOW in audio out of the TV. I'm blaming the TV for this, as these devices worked FINE on my old set with either composite video or component video and "RCA" audio

That right there in effect IS THE PROBLEM. You must turn the TV audio wide open to get adequate audio when using the external devices.

As I said earlier, "what I'll do" when the warantee runs out is to tear into the set and tap into either the speakers or see if there's a low level audio I can access, and "create my own" output.

I can "pad down" the audio from the speaker lines to lower level for the amp.

This "sale" TV is turning out to be "anything but."

Samsung un40h5003afxza

Here's the "user manual" such that it is

downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201409/20140902194336258/%5BUH5003-ZA%5DBN68-05829P-LPRENG-0725.pdf

-
Back