Disappointed,

-
Last Nov. I was involved in an 833 imput leak, that went on and on, I mentioned the snap ring issue 2nd post cuz of experience.
I also was going into great detail about how rocker shaft oiling occurred in two "squirts" - every two (2) crankshaft rotations, - for the second time in a coupla weeks.
Some still don't get it, I re-read the posts, thinking they had somehow changed to a different language, but no, English U.S.
Then I ran into this old quote from over a decade ago on another site I frequent.

It's so true today as it was decades ago .
(Replace "carb" with whatever)

View attachment 1716189050
Good luck .
If someone is on my "I don't give a crap" list I find giving them the most precise honest sincere answer I know usually motivates them to do the complete opposite.
I don't know in that case to whether to laugh or just shake my head, but it works every time.

And then there's the other extreme- I'm not going to be a grammar nazi, but if the person can't even take the time to write a coherent message, I have zero confidence in his ability to take the time to perform an effective repair or modification.
I check out without answering, because I can't figure out what the question is.
(And don't blame the phone- you're the one who hit "Send".)

img425 can you read English big - Copy.jpg

Sorta, - it was driving the vehicle to verify what the customer wants us to attend to, usually driving them to work/etc .
Sometimes an annoying rattle in the back, just needed the trunk opened, and the golf clubs shifted. . No charge !
or the bodies in that U-Haul that weren't secured properly

Last Nov. I was involved in an 833 imput leak, that went on and on, I mentioned the snap ring issue 2nd post cuz of experience.
I also was going into great detail about how rocker shaft oiling occurred in two "squirts" - every two (2) crankshaft rotations, - for the second time in a coupla weeks.
Some still don't get it, I re-read the posts, thinking they had somehow changed to a different language, but no, English U.S.
Then I ran into this old quote from over a decade ago on another site I frequent.

Good luck .
Sometimes the actual solution is too complicated to implement or hard to accept! Hope becomes the next strategy.

This humorous discussion made me remember when I bought a Javelin 4 bbl 343 V8 for my wife to drive. It drove fine for me but every time she took it out it died a few miles from home and when I got off work I had to go get it, it started right up and ran fine. After a few times of this it came to me. The heat riser tube to the choke was missing. When I drove, (more aggressively than she) I would just rev it to clear it out when it stumbled without thinking about it. She on the other hand putted along until it flooded and died and would not restart for her. By the time I got to it, it was dried up and ready to go. I installed a new brass tube from the manifold to the choke and all was well in our household again.

Last edited:
Or guys that can't be bothered to actually read the post or the answers that have already been given.
LOL. There's a current thread resurection where I got blasted for "not explaining the physics" even though I had already done so in that very thread. People like that must beleive that the helpful ones here are insane and have nothing better to do than repeat ourselves in fruitless attempts to 'win' technical arguements.
runaway-gif.gif

How about the OP who says "the engine won't start, what's wrong"

Or asks a question without mentioning what year, what car, what engine, what trans, what modifications, what was last done.
Aw come on. It's an original Chrysler brand new replacement.
Except that we find out it has an electic fan, Hyfire ignition, and the problems only started when the brand new super black magic power booster was added.
Ride the weekend and drop off at the dealer to add more chrome. lol!
Its more about appearences these days than ever before.

Good luck .
Talk about timing! I'm witnessing this same exact same thing right now on a Ford truck forum. Two people have given good advice, but the OP has gone down a rabbit hole based on all of the bad advice that came later.

(Shaking head....)

Strangest case I had here was when I answered a question about a common electrical problem (Vreg or such). Another guy then replied that he didn't know anything about the issue but chastised me for answering it since 67Dart273 once answered an electrical question for him which worked so he trusted him. He thought nobody else should answer in case 67Dart273 saw the question and answered it. I agree that 67Dart273 gives great advice, but isn't his full-time job and he probably doesn't see every post.

Other thing I see is some people here who troll the replies of certain other's who they developed a hard spot over. Seems they search out the members replies just to fuss. Some keep trying to ridicule me for explaining the basics of how brakes and cooling systems work, arguing about engineering theory with someone with an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering who has published papers on heat transfer and fluid flow. All I said was "brakes slow a wheel, relative to the body" and "restricting coolant flow will not improve cooling", but many hobbyists have different understandings of simple Physics.

Customer comes in with issue, we take customer and vehicle for test drive to verify complaint, give them an idea of issue, - to be followed by phone call.
I seldom related the customers suggestions as to what their sister's boyfriend's mother's car once had similar yada yada ..
Because it'd sooo often have a mechanic wasting time checking somethings irrelevant .
If something needed passing along I'd note to " see me".
We already have an idea, but thanks .
Perfect. That's what a good service writer would do. Today it's "Customer states" blah blah blah
What the customer says can throw you for a curve more often than not.

Strangest case I had here was when I answered a question about a common electrical problem (Vreg or such). Another guy then replied that he didn't know anything about the issue but chastised me for answering it since 67Dart273 once answered an electrical question for him which worked so he trusted him. He thought nobody else should answer in case 67Dart273 saw the question and answered it. I agree that 67Dart273 gives great advice, but isn't his full-time job and he probably doesn't see every post.

Other thing I see is some people here who troll the replies of certain other's who they developed a hard spot over. Seems they search out the members replies just to fuss. Some keep trying to ridicule me for explaining the basics of how brakes and cooling systems work, arguing about engineering theory with someone with an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering who has published papers on heat transfer and fluid flow. All I said was "brakes slow a wheel, relative to the body" and "restricting coolant flow will not improve cooling", but many hobbyists have different understandings of simple Physics.
I had to laugh at your post. That happens so much. I think the testosterone takes over. A little basics and common sense goes a long way. I cringe when I see a new "I want a little more zip out of my 318 2 barrel" threads. I know where they are going. Soon we are talking about building a max-output stroker. And there's always the 318 haters stopping by to flex their muscles. "I did a Gen 3 Hemi swap. That's what you should do." Meanwhile the op doesn't even own a timing light. :lol:

Not wanting to take anything out of context, where did you elaborate on that blurb, so I can enlighten myself?
My maybe related phrase on the topic is "brakes stop the wheel, tires stop the car", and I am not the original author in full disclosure.

I pull my hair out when someone says
I run a 180* thermostat, it stays around 200 cept in traffic, but it's all good, that's not "overheating" .
Gave up while I still have hair .lol

Last edited:
Not wanting to take anything out of context, where did you elaborate on that blurb, so I can enlighten myself?
My maybe related phrase on the topic is "brakes stop the wheel, tires stop the car", and I am not the original author in full disclosure.
Yes, my basic explanation when people were claiming, "drum brakes don't work". I said if they can skid all 4 tires, and evenly, you won't be able to stop any faster. Indeed, you want to brake until right before the tires skid, but hard to know thus the old "pump the brakes" (sort-of what ABS does). Raised a fuss, much from people who can't process the logic of "if". One guy, with an engineering degree, went on about with large sticky drag-race tires, drum brakes couldn't skid the tires. Yes, "if" doesn't mean "always". Main problem with drum brakes is they take longer to cool off after a braking event compared to vented rotors.

Re the cooling fuss, that was when I disputed the strange idea, widely-spread by car hobbyists, that adding a restrictor plate in the coolant flow can keep an engine from overheating. Strangely, the thermostat works the other way (opens more to increase cooling). Their figuring is "coolant flows thru the radiator too fast to cool down, so have to slow the flowrate". You can find a blog by a Robertshaw engineer (makes T-stats) who was amazed when he saw this idea, and tracked it down to a 1920's car where excessive water pump pressure pushed open the radiator spring cap to lose coolant, thus the fix. Also, many strange ideas of how a T-stat works. Many think it continually opens and closes while driving. Also few understand "proportional control droop" which makes your coolant run slightly warmer under high load (T-stat requires slightly higher temp to open more).

Re the cooling fuss, that was when I disputed the strange idea, widely-spread by car hobbyists, that adding a restrictor plate in the coolant flow can keep an engine from overheating. Strangely, the thermostat works the other way (opens more to increase cooling). Their figuring is "coolant flows thru the radiator too fast to cool down, so have to slow the flowrate". You can find a blog by a Robertshaw engineer (makes T-stats) who was amazed when he saw this idea, and tracked it down to a 1920's car where excessive water pump pressure pushed open the radiator spring cap to lose coolant, thus the fix. Also, many strange ideas of how a T-stat works. Many think it continually opens and closes while driving. Also few understand "proportional control droop" which makes your coolant run slightly warmer under high load (T-stat requires slightly higher temp to open more).
That's what we learned in Auto shop back in the early 80's.......That the coolant had to spend enough time in the rad to have the heat removed from it. Of course, we know that everything has to be designed to work together for the cooling system to work properly.

I pull my hair out when someone says
I run a 180* thermostat, it stays around 200 cept in traffic, but it's all good, that's not "overheating" .
Gave up while I still have hair .lol
"it's running hot"
yeah?
"yeah the gauge is in the red"
*looks at gauge one tick mark on the red*

"it's overheating"
yeah? is it boiling over?
"no"
then it's not over heating.

people never cease to amaze me

Yep, I don't care what your WalMart gauge reads, if it doesn't puke coolant out, it isn't overheating. I bet we'll over half of those issues is a bad cap. "Well I put 6 thermostats in it". Unbelievable.

"it's running hot"
yeah?
"yeah the gauge is in the red"
*looks at gauge one tick mark on the red*

"it's overheating"
yeah? is it boiling over?
"no"
then it's not over heating.

people never cease to amaze me

I guess my experience has taught me that if I build a car/engine with a cooling system that can't keep the coolant at/near thermostat temp, gets hotter in traffic, at lights etc. can't climb a long incline, isn't capable of towing a trailer, - and if left that way the temp WILL climb till it pukes .
Is the customer happy if I tell him to pull over every once in a while so it doesn't " overheat " till it pukes , causing potential engine damage/tow.
If the temp keeps creeping up, something is deficient .
In my opinion it overheated once the temp went above the constant thermostat temp expected .
The fact that modern cars have the fan switch come on at 230* doesn't mean it's good for old cars, that only mean the pressure cap works .

Has it overheated ?
In my position, rather than have phone calls, I deliver a vehicle that'll run, no issues .
Imagine telling my racecar driver to slow down if it starts to puke. .rofl
And him telling me to fix the fkn cooling system.lol

Last edited:
I guess my experience has taught me that if I build a car/engine with a cooling system that can't keep the coolant at/near thermostat temp, gets hotter in traffic, at lights etc. can't climb a long incline, isn't capable of towing a trailer, and if left that way the temp WILL climb till it pukes .
Is the customer happy if I tell him to pull over every once in a while so it doesn't " overheat " till it pukes , causing potential engine damage/tow.
If the temp keeps creeping up, something is deficient .
In my opinion it overheated once the temp went above the constant thermostat temp expected .
The fact that modern cars have the fan switch come on at 230* doesn't mean it's good for old cars, that only mean the pressure cap works .

Has it overheated ?
In my position, rather than have phone calls, I deliver a vehicle that'll run, no issues .
Imagine telling my racecar driver to slow down if it starts to puke. .rofl
And him telling me to fix the fkn cooling system.lol
i think my riff on the customers was misinterpreted.

it was more about people being misinformed than a discussion of cooling issues.

The irony! Doing it to ourselves in this thread.
@inertia You do what you have to to keep customers happy and yourself sane.

OK. Here's what I see.
These are gauges, and therefore need to be read both dynamically and in context.
JYH's example *looks at gauge one tick mark on the red*
That is running a little hot.
Or wait, is it?
It could be normal because the car was just shut off after a long run up hills in the summer?

If it was running, depending on the circumstances, I would still not call that overheating if it was steady.
Overheating is when the system temperature is starting to run away under steady state conditions.
This is the advantage of gages over warning lights. We can observe the changes in relation to conditions. However it does require a higher level of observation, or at least the operator to read the owner's manual.

Now at the bar, or telling your [fill in the blank] My car was overheating! to generate some interest in your story - be my guest! But when folks ask a tech question, which I beleive is the premise of this thread, then its similar to saying it won't crank when the situation really was starter turning engine, but it won't start.

These are gauges, and therefore need to be read both dynamically and in context.
JYH's example *looks at gauge one tick mark on the red*
That is running a little hot.
Or wait, is it?
It could be normal because the car was just shut off after a long run up hills in the summer?

If it was running, depending on the circumstances, I would still not call that overheating if it was steady.
Overheating is when the system temperature is starting to run away under steady state conditions.
This is the advantage of gages over warning lights. We can observe the changes in relation to conditions. However it does require a higher level of observation, or at least the operator to read the owner's manual.

Now at the bar, or telling your [fill in the blank] My car was overheating! to generate some interest in your story - be my guest! But when folks ask a tech question, which I beleive is the premise of this thread, then its similar to saying it won't crank when the situation really was starter turning engine, but it won't start.
this exactly. context is always key.

my engine is starving for oil!
or really? why do you think?
i saw the oil light flicker and heard ticking for a split second.
well that's not great. what were the events leading up to that? or is it all the time?
oh, i was doing a power slide at 50mph uphill on a decreasing radius turn in the canyons.

it's a whole: doctor it hurts when i do this!

yeah, don't do that.

'Nuther story. My son-in-law had an older car. Kept killing the battery. What's wrong he asked? So I got in, started the car and the ammeter instantly showed discharge. Revved it up, went more negative. Dropped down to idle, less negative, but never, ever showed positive. So I asked, how long has this been doing this, pointing to the ammeter. Doing what? Guy had no idea what an ammeter was.

Gotta love the replies where someone has never had the issue you’re asking about and no clue how to fix it, but they have a car built in the 60s-70s too, so they want to tell you about every problem THEY’VE had with it. LOL!
Also love the answers for guys asking about a little more “zip” for their slants or 318s…
a dozen posts later they’re getting advice for mounting a hemi - It’s the Chevy guys equivalent of “just put an LS in it!”
:thumbsup:

Talk about timing! I'm witnessing this same exact same thing right now on a Ford truck forum. Two people have given good advice, but the OP has gone down a rabbit hole based on all of the bad advice that came later.

(Shaking head....)
Must be the OSB truck forum I am on there and I don't even own one, but I spent 15 years in a Ford dealership working on them and have 40 years' experience as a mechanic. This crap just drives me nuts, no one wants to invest in the time to learn how to fix anything. Shortly the only people that will have their own transportation will be rich people and mechanics, everybody else can ride the bus. End of rant.

Must be the OSB truck forum I am on there and I don't even own one, but I spent 15 years in a Ford dealership working on them and have 40 years' experience as a mechanic. This crap just drives me nuts, no one wants to invest in the time to learn how to fix anything. Shortly the only people that will have their own transportation will be rich people and mechanics, everybody else can ride the bus. End of rant.

Yup! Both the "OBS" and the "bumpside" forum. I'm on there daily, and you're absolutely right when you say "...no one wants to invest in the time to learn how to fix anything". I hate to admit it, but it's gotten to the point where I won't respond to some of the lazy idiots on there, as it seems as though they just want to be "spoon fed".

Screw that!

-
Back