Disaster for neighbor

-
Not yet he's dealin with insurance now

Tell him that he has to agree to the settlement. I held up State Farm for almost a year until they gave me what I wanted, and they paid almost the same amount for storage. A lot of pictures helps.

Last edited:
Tell him that he has to agree to the settlement. I held up State Farm for almost a year until they gave me what I wanted, and paid almost the same amount for storage. A lot of pictures helps.
He had Haggarty and they already settled and sent a check for agreed amount

I keep extinguishers in both of my cars. Back around 95 I had a GT mustang. Leaving my driveway it backfired and it caught fire. Burned the paint off the hood but no damage other than that. Of course it wouldnt restart and the driveway was on a hill. Ran inside and got my friend to help me push it back where the hose would reach. He had just got out of the shower and had nothing but a towell on. Must have been entertaining for people driving by.

I keep extinguishers in both of my cars. Back around 95 I had a GT mustang. Leaving my driveway it backfired and it caught fire. Burned the paint off the hood but no damage other than that. Of course it wouldnt restart and the driveway was on a hill. Ran inside and got my friend to help me push it back where the hose would reach. He had just got out of the shower and had nothing but a towell on. Must have been entertaining for people driving by.
First off glad the guy is ok! Sucks about the Car! I used to disconnect my battery all the time I just leave them hooked up now, I go out three short tabs to the gas pedal turn the key she fires up every time! I kind of like it that way... My 68 Coronet big block 4 spd had a E body Cuda hood top grafted to the original one. My old lead singer was driving it, popped one outta the carb, stalled, he cranked it up, and all of a sudden I start seeing heat waves coming out of the hood, freaking carburetor fire... all was well, but it did kind of Jack the hood up just a little bit. In retrospect, I put should have slammed a fiberglass six pack hood on that thing anyway, because by the time they got done with putting those two hoods together and some body filler, that was one heavy hood, Man!

That sucks big time. I hope the agreed amount was adequate. It's a good reminder to look at those agreed upon values. I don't think I've upped mine in several years.

Damn, that's always a worry with our old girls.

I went with an Element Fire Extinguisher after seeing a demonstration on Jay Leno. Sure hope I never have to use it.

Element - Fire Extinguishers

Thanks for sharing that, it's about time someone came up with an alternative to conventional extinguishers. I carry a 5-pounder in my Duster and it's freaking annoying. I'm going to order a couple of these now, I should be carrying one in my truck too that thing is just as likely to catch fire.

Not a total loss if the steel body panels didn't distort in the fire. If you could ship the body to the rusty north or Europe, it would be valued there rather than spending two years doing rust fixes which are never as good as original. Lots of other valuable parts left. Many interiors must be totally restored anyway since all the plastic and foam has degraded. That rear window was supposedly worth $2500 on a car show, then they purposely staged shattering it for the cameras (Desert Valley Auto Parts guys).

Damn, that's always a worry with our old girls.

I went with an Element Fire Extinguisher after seeing a demonstration on Jay Leno. Sure hope I never have to use it.

Element - Fire Extinguishers
The reviews and youtube videos on the Element are horrible. Leno sprayed it, but not on a fire. Not much of a demonstration. Might be worth having in the car in addition to an ABC Dry Chem. Might work for an under dash fire. If you catch it early, the Element might handle it. A dry chem extinguisher will work too but the interior of the car will need to be completely removed and cleaned or replaced. Same for a carb fire. If you spray a dry chem extinguisher into the carb, you get to tear down the engine afterwards. Might try the Element first, but I would have the dry chem ready to go if you need it.

Good thing they are ok.

The 100 bucks spent on a 5 pound halon extinguisher is a must for these old cars. It’s very surprising how many people don’t have an extinguisher in their cars.
So true. A couple years ago, I had recently got my car out of the shop and didn't have extinguishers yet. Took it for a quick spin on July 4th 2021, and she caught fire (no fault of shop) 2 Miles from my house. Thankfully, my wife had a giant Vita Water and I had some rags. I soaked the rags and threw it on the wire harness, and it put it out. I know not best for electric fire, but I took the chance and saved the car. Now I have two. One in trunk and one in car.

In us, are this rear window hard to find ?
Glad to hear the neighbor was ok. It's sad to see the remnants of the car. Regarding these barracuda rear windows, they are still pretty easy to find. I personally have three spares. Two came with the car and I got a third from a neighbor's house that recently sold. The window was in the back yard and I told the new owner I could take the old cuda rear window off his hands. He said sure.

Good thing they are ok.

The 100 bucks spent on a 5 pound halon extinguisher is a must for these old cars. It’s very surprising how many people don’t have an extinguisher in their cars.
I have on hand a 5lb Halon extinguisher in my Dart. Was told about 15 years ago that they were no longer available. I would like another one, so where do you buy them now? Had a rear brake lock up once and the drum was on fire from the fluid catching on fire from the heat build up. I had some beer in the trunk and popped them open after shaking them up and was able to control the fire from reaching the trunk and back seat.LOL

I also went with the Element fire extinguisher. I have one in the 68 Barracuda and one in the 83 D150.
They are mounted in easy reach under the drivers seat.
To me the Jay Leno demonstration and the you tube videos show an effective way to put out a fire without the difficult clean up associated to dry powder extinguishers.
However the Element fire extinguisher is not UL rated. Per the Element fire extinguisher web site that is because the Element fire extinguisher does not fit into the size-weight-physical description categories that UL uses.
Both the 68 Barracuda and the 83 D150 have battery disconnects.

Last edited:
-
Back