Disc brake Caliper pins/bolts sizes????? Where to buy???

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
The Caliper bolts/Pins on my a body stick out almost an inch to far when they are tight. They measure about 5 inches long from under the bolt head to the end. It seems I need some that are around 4-1/8 long. I can not find them anywhere. These are the bolts that the caliper slides the pads back and forth on, not the bolts that hold the caliper itself. I believe this front end set up is a 73 and up. Where can I find these????

Do they look something like this? Rock Auto has them for around 6 bucks a pair. They fit a '72 Charger/Challenger 383 car.....

Attachments

• brake pins.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 665
Those look exactly like the ones I have but they are about an inch to long. I can find this type everywhere but not the shorter ones.

Post a pic of your brakes so we know what we are dealing with. MaMopar only had one pin slider brake set up, GM + Ferd had bunches of them. I'm wondering if you may have a conversion kit that uses GM calipers. '73 up disc brakes used slider calipers and didn't even have the pins you are looking for. Need more info.....

The pins look just like the photo above posted by grumpuscreature. They stick out almost an inch when installed. I need a shorter one. I find them for sale everywhere for B bodies but no A bodies. I will post a pic though when I get home. Thanks

Some photos of my brakes. If you notice on the pic with the brake hanging, look at the back and you will see the pins are out about an inch when tightened.

Attachments

• DART DISC BRAKES.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 657
  • DART DISC BRAKE 2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 579
they are the correct pins and appear to be installed correctly.
are the rubber grommets installed..hard to see?

I see what you are talking about now and they are right. These pins are only listed for B bodies because A bodies never got them. You need that much pin so the caliper can slide in and out. The pin itself bottoms against the caliper bracket and the caliper is captured by the head on the pin. The only thing I see that needs attention is the lack of dust boots between the head of the pin and the caliper body. If they are not there the pins will rust and the calipers will stick. Make sure the pins and the slider face on the caliper bracket have a good coat of lithium or high temp grease so the calipers can slide.....

They're supposed to stick out. On my Challenger there's a little spring clip that sits under the head of pin, between the caliper and the bolt head. Not really sure why its there, but it is.

The pin type brakes only came on E/B bodies, so someone converted the car over at some point. Noting wrong with them, just not original to the A-bodies.

It seems to me that the head of the bolt should rest firmly against the back of the caliper. Every one that I have looked at the bolts sit flush. The set that I have are the correct pin length but the bolt part seems to long to me.

I drew a line across these to show how far they stick out from the caliper

Attachments

• Cal pins.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 584
As the brake pad wears the caliper will move closer and closer to the "head" of that pin. That is why they are long.

They look right to me...it's a floating caliper so the part between the threads and the bolt head have to be that long so the caliper can move.

Put a set of worn pads in it, and you will quickly find out why they stick out.
Those look right to me also.

Notice the head of the pin is about the same distance from the caliper body as the outer pad is thick. :)

Also, the big part of the shoulder that you think is too long is not a bolt shoulder, it's a slide area also.

I think the light bulb just went off!!!!! I assumed when I tighten them that the pin was stationary. I am wrapping my brain around it now. I think I need to stop listening to chevy owners when they notice the bolt side of the pins sticking out and say you better fix that. Thanks

I think the light bulb just went off!!!!! I assumed when I tighten them that the pin was stationary. I am wrapping my brain around it now. I think I need to stop listening to chevy owners when they notice the bolt side of the pins sticking out and say you better fix that. Thanks

Ok, now I might confuse you again.
The bolt IS stationary as it bottoms out against the caliper bracket at the shoulder by the threads.

The left area is where the caliper slides to the left as the pads wear down.

The right area is where the pads slide when the caliper moves as the pads wear.

So looking at the picture, as the pads wear down the caliper continues to center itself on the rotor by sliding on BOTH the large smooth area of the bolt shoulder and at the smaller long smooth end on the right.

So as the pads wear, the whole caliper would slowly move to the left on this bolt.

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 511
You're not in Chevyland anymore Toto. Quit listening to them. They don't know squat about a well engineered car. No experience to draw from.....

Yeah, I get the picture now........but why are there shorter pins? I have seen them?
I guess I need to look under some mopars the next chance I get. I just couldnt recall seeing anyones pins sticking out like mine do.

It seems that these calipers I have are from a 1973 Cuda. I was unaware that they could bolt up to a A body spindle. Any thoughts........

the 'cuda calipers will have 2 3/4" pistons,the A body up 'til '75 are only 2 5/8"(slider style)
this will produce higher pressure and much better braking
i think it jumps from about 3600 psi to 4400 psi at the caliper.
i have '73 cuda discs on my '70 Duster as well.

-
Back