Disc brake conversion kit recommendations...

-

illcuda65

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm new to the forum and I am very impressed with the level of knowledge on this board. I have a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda- 318 putting out 350 ish h.p.- 4 speed, 8 3/4 rear end w/ 3/.91 sure grip- but I am still rolling with 10 inch drums for brakes.

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on what the best disc brake kits out there are.... SSBC? I saw baer is now making a kit but you are supposed to swap to B body spindles? All thoughts and opinions are appreciated as I am a novice mechanic who is continually learning....

thanks,
Bryan

The kit I got was a new factory iron (based from 1973-up) disc brake kit. I got it all from Bill at RMS.

Here is the link to his site, but the brake kit is not listed, you will have to call him. He will be able to answer ALL the questions you may have. He has many products available that are not listed on his site...

http://reillymotorsports.com/

Here is a pic of the kit that I got from him:

34yd3pd.jpg

Aerospace components makes a very nice kit if thats what your looking for. It's very lightweight compared to stock drums. Probably will shave over 100lbs unsprung weight from your car which is huge. Will also get you the bb pattern.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your skills are.

There are many ways to upgrade your mopars brakes using stock components as well. There is a ton of interchangeability with mopar brakes.

The kit I got was a new factory iron (based from 1973-up) disc brake kit. I got it all from Bill at RMS.

Here is the link to his site, but the brake kit is not listed, you will have to call him. He will be able to answer ALL the questions you may have. He has many products available that are not listed on his site...

http://reillymotorsports.com/

Here is a pic of the kit that I got from him:

34yd3pd.jpg

Wow, thats a sweet looking set up. What did it cost you?

Wow, thats a sweet looking set up. What did it cost you?

I THINK around 700 bucks including the spindles that Bill sells. Those spindles are nice and allow you to rear mount your calipers so you won't have sway bar interference. ..BUT, it was more for the tubular upper control arms and strut rods, those are not included in the 700 dollar price. LOL
Give Bill a call, he'll set you up man.

..off another a body that has them..ours were 100.00..........and an hour
of work..

..off another a body that has them..ours were 100.00..........and an hour
of work..
I paid $300 for a set off a Duster for mine. Not sure if they work on the early As, but you use your lower control arms, and the uppers off the disc brake car, along with the spindles, calipers, etc.

Mopardude-

Your 408 stroker is really putting up some impressive HP numbers. What is your compression ratio and what kind of fuel are you running on?

I have 14" Cragar SS wheels that I would like to keep if possible. Will this Wheel/Tire combo work w/doing a disc brake conversion?

Aerospace components makes a very nice kit if thats what your looking for. It's very lightweight compared to stock drums. Probably will shave over 100lbs unsprung weight from your car which is huge. Will also get you the bb pattern.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your skills are.

There are many ways to upgrade your mopars brakes using stock components as well. There is a ton of interchangeability with mopar brakes.

There is an article in the current Mopar Muscle issue where they upgrade their 68 Barracuda drag car with Aerospace brakes front and rear. They were going from 73+ A-body disks to the Aerospace disks on the fron and drums to the Aerospace disks on the back. They saved 86 pounds.

There is an article in the current Mopar Muscle issue where they upgrade their 68 Barracuda drag car with Aerospace brakes front and rear. They were going from 73+ A-body disks to the Aerospace disks on the fron and drums to the Aerospace disks on the back. They saved 86 pounds.

I read that article and it's pretty neat...But, those rotors are solid, not like a normal rotor...Also, I think that car (project B3) is a dedicated drag car. I thought it wasn't a good idea to use those kind of rotors for the street?? Not sure, but enlighten me if I am wrong...

+73 disk brake upper control arms, or 10" drum control arms, and +73 disk brake spindles will fit on an early A just fine. Run 10.87" rotors if you want to keep your 14" wheels, or upgrade to 15" wheels if you want to run the 11.75" rotors.

Im pretty sure you dont have to buy upper and lower control arms, wilwood makes conversion spindels, and conversion kit, you can get the spindles out of a 73 and up A body or wilwood makes a 4 piston drilled and slotted disck brake kit for 850 but i belive you will have to find spindles, but you cant put a price on stopping 850 dollars is allot cheaper than 10-20,000 if you destroy your car, just my thoughts

Why do you need to change the upper controll arm? / I switch my 68 val to disc from a 71 val don't have any problems !

Im pretty sure you dont have to buy upper and lower control arms, wilwood makes conversion spindels, and conversion kit, you can get the spindles out of a 73 and up A body or wilwood makes a 4 piston drilled and slotted disck brake kit for 850 but i belive you will have to find spindles, but you cant put a price on stopping 850 dollars is allot cheaper than 10-20,000 if you destroy your car, just my thoughts

True,but better brakes can be had for a lot less...

http://arengineering.com/caliper_menu/calipermenu.html

I am in the process of setting up the early viper caliper on 11.75 brakes. I have about $200 into at this moment. All i have left is to get are the pads, new rotors, bearings, and lines. Plus the kit from Mancini racing $180.

Also have to figure out the master cylinder at some point down the road. Also in the debate of modifying the rear 8 3/4 to adapt the mid 90's disc brake set up from a jeep.

-
Back