disc brake conversion/ pulls right a bit

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Over the winter I did a disc brake conversion and replaced my rear shoes. Well I finally got to drive it. When I apply the brakes at speeds above say 25mph. I'm getting a slight pull to the right. Meaning the nose of the vehicle wants to go right. The faster I go & harder I brake the more its noticed. Also the steering wheel stays straight , and is not trying to pull my hands to the right.
Can the rear brake cause this, since the steering is not trying to pull toward the right ?
Oh I did replace ALL of the hoses also.

Good on the hoses. The rear is where I would start since the wheel does not pull at all. Also, check the front suspension to make sure nothing is worn/loose.

Could be a lot of things. There was a change in caliper piston size, I don't remember what all that intails. Make darn sure your pistons are same bore.

How are the rotors, they been turned? Rough? worn? etc?

Rears could cause this as well, as well as a few other things

My guess is front end components. Might have slop in something that moves when you apply the brakes. Ball Joints, tie rod ends, upper bushings, lower bushings, Strut rod bushings should be one of the first things you look at, IMO.

How well are the new drums adjusted? Could one be grabbing before the other???

Could be a few different problems. But what your encountering is a right side brake working better than a left side. Start by making sure the hydraulic system is bleed good, make sure both rear drum brakes are adjusted properly. I would suspect it is air in the left side. Last inspect all your front and rear end components.

This conversion is on my dodge a100 pickup (see avatar) Over the winter I also rebuild the straight axle king pins etc. So no struts/ball joints etc.

If it pulls to the right, check the left. Could be a leaking wheel cylinder, caliper leaking, or stuck, etc. Make sure the rears are adjusted evenly. Del is right. Just cause it's new, don't make it good. I had to replace my new wheel cylinder with the old one, since the new one leaked. Also, on 73-76 A bodies, there was a caliper bore size change. not sure if that's the case with the setup you have. Something to check.

Straight axle may have some front spring bushing issues.

Last edited:
We automatically go for the stuff we experienced and then find out oh crap it's an A100 DUH! I bet the spring is pulling back on one side a bit.

The first time I heard my boss say that, I nearly burst out laughing. But seeing as he was paying my wages, I dutifully swapped them around.
Low and behold, the pull followed the tire!
So my take was this; you know your shop creeper; check out it's casters.You see the extreme caster/camber on those wheels? That's designed that way so that when you push with your heels, the creeper will steer itself and travel in the direction you have thrust it.
Well, if a tire has worn itself conical, or if an internal cord is defective, such that the tire runs conical, then it steers itself. And that causes a pull. It cannot always be felt in the steering wheel, until it gets excessive.
Good luck!

-
Back