Disc brakes

-

MoparMan80

Reaction score
How many people have switched from drum to disc brakes? Want the stopping power guaranteed because I want to do an engine swap from slant six to 340 or 360. What's everyone think? Fill me in on results with swaps. Much appreciated.

Ok well i have not done the swap yet but i have drove both. Drum and disk A bodies . The Disk stuff is a ton better. If you are ok with brake fade stick with the drums . If your DD your car and not hard on your brakes . I would just change over to a duel matser Im guessing this is for a 63 to 66 car.

Putting on disks is well worth it, driving is night and day. Had drums on the 340 Demon and in a panic stop you panic, with disks it stops perfect every time. In my opinion it is worth every penny you spend weather it's a an upgrade from a later A body or a disk kit bought from the after market.

Putting on disks is well worth it, driving is night and day. Had drums on the 340 Demon and in a panic stop you panic, with disks it stops perfect every time. In my opinion it is worth every penny you spend weather it's a an upgrade from a later A body or a disk kit bought from the after market.
Im with you on the panic stop . I can tell you in my barracuda dude went to pull out in front of me and i just said to my self well this is where im going to die cuz there aint no way to stop it this fast with drums . Btw he stoped lol

Definitely not a trick question. I asked for a reason and if you have nothing helpful to say just don't reply. I'm going to do the conversion in the next year guaranteed. Thanks for the advice. I asked because I wanted to know what they thought. Brands that people have used?

I put disc's on the front and 11 inch drums on the back got it all from a 88 gran Fury cop car. Stops on a dime.

I've done it on every A body I've had. Well worth the time, money, and effort. I only use OEM stuff except for brake pads, then it is Hawk racing pads, just my preference. 73 up if you have 4.5 BC in the back or KH if you have 4.0 BC in the back. Both are great. Upgrade your suspension while you are at it. Torsion bars, front sway bar, HD rear springs and good shocks.

Swapped using donor plus rebuilt. Went with larger diameter m/c ( Dr. Diff). Too much travel with 15/16"

image.jpg

image.jpg

Changing to discs should be the first upgrade made on these old relics...before any other dollar is spent!

Are you also swapping to the larger lug pattern? Something else to keep in mind when deciding how you want to do it.

Definately do it... DO NOT waste your time with small bolt pattern upgrade factory Kelsey Hayes brake system... by the time you locate the parts you need and rebuild everything you might as well switch to Big bolt pattern and buy WIldwood PERIOD .....Been there and done it .... wasted money ....

It was the 1st upgrade I made to my Dart GT. I used the SSBC kit which allows either 5 on 4 1/2" LBP or the 5 on 4" SBP. I opted for the SBP as my car has the factory installed 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure-grip rear end (which allowed me to keep my SBP 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels).

These are the parts. Dr. Diff has adapter for ball joint, vs larger ball joint control arms.

Mopar Large Bolt Disc Brake Conversion (A- Body) | eBay

I was able to get donor parts off this site, FABO, with the peg leg 7 1/4. Rebuilt following Bruce's sticky, (great thread). Rebuilt Parts still available. PartsGeek, NAPA, ... Not really saving in the long run , but fun. Painting old. Installing new. Collecting parts. Can be upgraded to larger diameter 11" rotors with newer/ longer caliber adapters, (with 15" wheels), 5th Ave etc., Volare.

AR Engineering made an adapter specific to the 1973 - 1976 a body DRUM spindle I don't think it is still availible. It would adapt Viper brakes.

Mopar musclecar brake upgrade | AR Engineering

Scarebird another route.

Last edited:
Lots of good options out there and a wide range of prices.
For our 69 G3 Fastback.
Have gathered nearly all the parts but the car is not ready yet...
All 5 on 4.5"
Pin On Cordoba 11.75 Front Discs.
Jeep rear disc pictured below. (PN 96-2049-DB) If you can find them in a pick n pull you could save a couple hundred.
I got a kill deal on an open box on EBay.
If you have an 8-1/4 rear this is a direct bolt on.
See: Jeep rear discs on an 8 3/4 axle solution
and: rear disc from grand cherokee on a 8 3/4
Need to modify backing plates a little to fit 8-3/4.
I like the incorporated E-Brake Drums and over the counter OEM replacement parts.
Going to have Cass at DR Diff make custom axles for an 8-3/4 to work with it.
gta-96-2049-db_at_xl.jpg

----o00o--'(_)'--o00o----

-
Back