Disk Brake Conversion: Brake Hose Issue

-

Sir Hiss

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm assembling a disk brake conversion on a 72 swinger from a 76 dart donor car. Everything is done come to find out my new brake hose I bought from local parts store (Oreilly) is slightly different than the one from the original brake hose and it hits the upper control arm when I turn the wheel to the left because the line is sticking straight up. The old brake hose had a different angle from the block that cleared the upper arm after close inspection. The brake hose I bought Is for 73-76 Dart (which should work) but does not due to the straight spout coming up from the caliper. Any1 use a 76 Aspen hose? Or a 73 Charger brake hose?? I've checked many models and years and even B and E body hoses. Rock Auto only has the one that lacks the curve that I need. Nothing is exact. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to attempt to attach or upload some pics to aid the situation. Thanks for reading!!

Heres the old hose with that angle I need... Did someone bend this before I got to it or is there a part that comes with this bend?
View attachment brake hose from 66.jpg

(The pic with the yellow shock is not my car I got the pic off another website but provides a perfect example of my issue):wack:
View attachment hose_dart.jpg

With the hose off already
View attachment my disk setup.JPG

View attachment my disk set up.jpg
View attachment sir hiss disk set up.GIF
Bad pic sry but if u look close u can see the hose protruding straight up which hits the upper control arm.

'73-'76 A-body hoses fit when the calipers are mounted toward the front of the car.

Some guys run Volare hoses when the calipers are mounted toward the rear.

'73-'76 A-body hoses fit when the calipers are mounted toward the front of the car.

Some guys run Volare hoses when the calipers are mounted toward the rear.

Bingo!

A body calipers were originally mounted to the front, not the rear. You can swap the spindles and calipers side to side to put the calipers in the front like they were originally and those brake hoses will fit.

Or, get some later F/M/J body brake lines and leave the calipers in the back.

The only real issue with having them in the front vs the back is sway bar clearance. With the calipers on the front on the '67-72 K member the sway bar can hit the calipers. Not a problem with the '73-76 K and sway bar.

Wow guys that's huge info!! Thanks a lot! That makes sense b/c I knew some a body disks were mounted on the front but did NOT know you could swap the spindle and caliper sides and still bolt up. I have a 76 aspen brake hose that I'm going to try right now... looks promising. I prob will check Volare if I still see an issue. Worst case I guess I will swap the spindles and calipers to the front. I don't have a sway bar currently and don't think I will get one so should be fine... I've heard that mounted on the rear aids in heat transfer and limits dust on other suspension components which makes sense... I don't know the name but aren't there "flexible" aftermarket hoses for these applications? Any I should consider if this hose doesn't work? Thanks again. I'll keep ya posted!

Okay guys this is what it looks like with the 76 Aspen brake hose assembled. One pic is of the wheel turned all the way to the right. The other pic is of the wheel turned completely left. Everything clears, no rubbing, and below the upper control arm. Doesn't seem to be too much tension either... let me know what you guys think judging by the pics. Appreciate your input!

View attachment 76 aspen hose 1.jpg

View attachment 76 aspen hose 2.jpg

I use 73+ B Body hoses when mounting calipers on the back side of the spindle

That looks great, now put the sway bar on you wont believe the handling diffrence, just my 2 cents.

That looks great, now put the sway bar on you wont believe the handling diffrence, just my 2 cents.
Yea looks solid. Okay I guess I will try a sway bar now. Thanks for the 2 cents. And thanks to all you other A-Body Mopar guys for checking out my thread! Appreciate the input.

After playing with it a little more and am tightening things up a bit I realize that my brake pads are loose. What keeps these secure???? Probably a dumb question but this is my first time dealing with these calipers. I know newer models have clips or fasteners of some sort but I don't remember taking anything like that off this set up? Are there clips that I am missing or something? I tightened down the top clamps to secure the caliper. Do those have anything to do with it?
Thanks!

No clips or anything. The pads just sit in place, they're kept from falling out by the tabs on the pads metal backing plate that hook on the caliper. Other than that, a little pressure from the brake piston keeps them from rattling around. Step on the brakes and you should be good.

okay yea I guess with a little pressure and drag on the rotor as usual with simply keep them secure. Also b/c I compressed the piston so there is more room than there would be when its all done. Thanks! Just makin sure I wasn't missing anything...

I removed that braket that comes attached to the flexible hose, looks better removed.
C

I have a very similar set up on my car. The outer pad was loose and would rattle while driving. I had to take the pad off and using a hammer SLIGHTLY tap the ears down so there was no movement in the pad when installed.

Slider brake pads must be custom fit to the caliper. Hammer the tabs tight against the caliper body while supporting the bottom edge.

-
Back