Distribution block change?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
Working on a '70 Duster. Was a 4wheel drum car, converting to disc brakes. I got the front disc brake kit from CPP. It's all installed.

Now I'm down to the master cylinder and distribution block. I figured I'd just use a mid '70s disc brake master cylinder.

My real concern is the distribution block. Can I just leave the factory block in place and add a proportioning valve to the rear line, or does the factory block have a proportioning aspect to it? Would it need to be removed or changed, or can I leave it?

PXL_20210310_212645916.jpg

You have a distribution block now for 4 wheel drum. I would add a adjustable prop valve for the rear line. I think that would be easier than trying to break those brake lines loose.

I swapped from 4 wheel drum, to disc in the front and the factory style proportioning valve is a direct fit in place of the distribution block.

With 295s in the back and 235s in the front, my car needs no proportioning at all.
If you have 275s or more in the back, and 245s or less in the front;
Then you can achieve adequate proportioning in the back, with just swapping wheel cylinders and/or, you
MAY NOT NEED,
any proportioning at all. I would at least test it without, else you may go to the trouble and expense of installing a standalone adjustable valve........ just to end up running it, wide-open.

YMMV but considering the proportioning valve only comes into play under hard braking, the safe approach is to start with the factory setup.

So when advising other people what to do, I try not to suggest things like this in a general way. If it was needed they may only find out after the car is facing the wrong direction...

-
Back