Distributor Connection Question

-

dkamp

Reaction score
When converting from Mopar ignition to GM HEI. I discovered that the Distributor pickup wires need to be reversed.
(Ran like crap until reversing the wires) Is it OK to use Crimp Butt Splices or should that be soldered and shrink tube?
I'm have no clue how sensitive that connection from the Distributor and ECU is.
Comments/suggestions???
DKamp

I would either solder and heat shrink or get an appropriate water tight connector to put on

What is that stepped connector called? or do you know of a Part Number or source to get that connector?
If I cannot find it I can Solder and seal it with shrink tubing.
Thank you for helping.
dkamp

Here is the correct orientation, UNLESS you have a rare pickup coil that is incorrectly phased, and they "have been found" here and there. I'm guessing incorrectly manufactured import replacements

So far as sensitivity, keep it as short as practical, away from high power and plug wires, run the pickup leads as close to a 90 angle as possible when crossing those kinds of wires, and dress the pickup cable close to ground--the block, the firewall, etc, to form a natural shield/ ground plane.

The DO need good tight connections as there is very very little current--self generated--in that circuit.

The 'key' to orientation here is not the dist. wire colors so much as the appearance of the 2 terminal OEM connector--it normally should be as shown relative to the HEI terminals.

Google "rotor phasing" for more info, generally

4pin-jpg-jpg.jpg

go to napa and look at the lighting/trailer connection wall. they have a 2 prong plug in that has red and white wires on them. i use them for the gm ign conversion, tail light connections and lots of other things.

Any one need dist pick up wires I have a bunch if needed I cut them off when I trash the pickups.

I reversed the Distributor rotor pickup wires, and reconnected and soldered them together.
On a test drive, At low throttle and 1/2 throttle it runs great. at Full throttle it has occasional stutter every few seconds. I did not notice this with the Mopar ignition, but do on the GM Ignition.
This is my setup to keep the Mopar look.
1674340317963.jpeg

With this layout minus the ECU this shows and using the 1st Pic.

1674340400414.jpeg

I verified my connections and grounds.
I did not check the timing since it ran well before.
I did regap the plugs to be 40.
DKamp

Timing can / will change due to the time the trigger takes to fire the coil, it might even have a built in advance or retard

Check and know for sure.

I reversed the Distributor rotor pickup wires, and reconnected and soldered them together.
On a test drive, At low throttle and 1/2 throttle it runs great. at Full throttle it has occasional stutter every few seconds. I did not notice this with the Mopar ignition, but do on the GM Ignition.
This is my setup to keep the Mopar look.
View attachment 1716037891
With this layout minus the ECU this shows and using the 1st Pic.

View attachment 1716037893

I verified my connections and grounds.
I did not check the timing since it ran well before.
I did regap the plugs to be 40.
DKamp
Why did you post this diagram?

What coil is that? You need to make sure a GM HEI compatible coil is used, such as MSD #8207.

I was attempting to match what you said about wiring to the diagram and it made no sense LOL Make certain the 4 pin is well grounded through the two mounting screws.

Regarding the individual crimp on connectors. I have yet to figure out why anyone uses those without the plastic connectors that GM used and they are so easy to get. Leaving the metal part of that crimp on connector exposed where it plugs into the module is just asking for trouble and yet, somehow, that's how everybody does it.

-
Back