Distributor for New 318

-

GreyWizard

Reaction score
Finishing the parts list for Ruby's new 318. Has anyone used one of these? If so, how did it work out?

I thank all responders in advance.

David

Don't know if I have that exact one, but I have a $50 HEI on my 318 and it works perfectly fine, I just don't like how big it is, its impossible to get to the throttle bracket bolts, so I'm planning a swap back to traditional electronic ignition

For less than $50 it probably works but for how long. A throw away for sure.

I have the one that has the module on the outside...small distributor cap...and it has been going for 3 yrs now

Don't know if I have that exact one, but I have a $50 HEI on my 318 and it works perfectly fine, I just don't like how big it is, its impossible to get to the throttle bracket bolts, so I'm planning a swap back to traditional electronic ignition

I had not considered the size. Perhaps it is bigger than it looks?

For less than $50 it probably works but for how long. A throw away for sure.

Thank you Mike.

I am absolutely open to recommendations. I have the original distributor out of the 273. I however, considered the engine swap an opportunity to modernize.

I had not considered the size. Perhaps it is bigger than it looks?
Yeah, I don't know the exact dimensions, but it definitely is larger than a factory unit.
Also be aware of the terminal style, the factory LA plug wires don't work with those terminals, I ended up making my own wires

Thank you Mike.

I am absolutely open to recommendations. I have the original distributor out of the 273. I however, considered the engine swap an opportunity to modernize.
I used a Pertronix in mine. Depending on how many miles you drive a new set of points may last for years. @halifaxhops rebuilds/ restorses them. He has NOS parts.

Yeah, I don't know the exact dimensions, but it definitely is larger than a factory unit.
Also be aware of the terminal style, the factory LA plug wires don't work with those terminals, I ended up making my own wires

Get a set of wires for a 5.2or 5.9 magnum. Or get a female cap

I just use a stock electronic with one fired by a HEI module, simple if you use the design 2 drive bracket.

If you are looking for something tunable that is also small base, and a ready to run... we do great with these. Little.more money...but high quality without the high price tag.

PRO SERIES READY TO RUN DISTRIBUTOR | MOPAR SB 273-360 | V8 ENGINE | BLACK CAP

Or we sell a version of the eBay one you are looking at for a few more dollars, with a 1 year warranty. And we Stock the replacement modules.

Happy hunting either way.

-
Back