Distributor Mechanical Advance

-

mopowers

Reaction score
How much mechanical advance does a stock '79 360 mopar electronic distributor allow in stock form without tweaking the advance slots? Were any of them different???

The standard Mopar electronic is capable of approx. 25 degrees mechanical average from what I have seen, and they do have different top shafts that determine that.
They are marked on the bottom side of the part with the slots for the weights.
This is why they need to be limited to use a higher initial timing.

Get the slot plate from FBO ignition to make it easy on yourself. Assuming it's a street car here, if you don't limit the mechanical advance, you'll have to run less initial and your car will have trouble getting out of it's own way. If you run enough initial with a stock distributor you will ping, and ping often!

The standard Mopar electronic is capable of approx. 25 degrees mechanical average from what I have seen, and they do have different top shafts that determine that.
They are marked on the bottom side of the part with the slots for the weights.
This is why they need to be limited to use a higher initial timing.

Great info. Thanks! I wonder how many shafts with different length slots mopar made???

Get the slot plate from FBO ignition to make it easy on yourself. Assuming it's a street car here, if you don't limit the mechanical advance, you'll have to run less initial and your car will have trouble getting out of it's own way. If you run enough initial with a stock distributor you will ping, and ping often!

I'm fully aware of that plate and how to limit advance to run more initial. I was simply asking how much advance the slots in stock distributors allow.

Great info. Thanks! I wonder how many shafts with different length slots mopar made???

I'm fully aware of that plate and how to limit advance to run more initial. I was simply asking how much advance the slots in stock distributors allow.

How many I don't know, but if I remember right the most common one I have seen is marked 11 which would be 22 at the crank.

I have one that has 13 stamped on it but I don't know what year it's from.

Really depend on the distributor itself each number is different, your FSM should have a list of all the numbers and the specs for each. I have realy been getting into these lately since I picked up a distr. tester.

Last edited:
I have one that has 13 stamped on it but I don't know what year it's from.
Inside under the plat will have the year stamped and a bar with boxes filled for the month.

Inside under the plat will have the year stamped and a bar with boxes filled for the month.
It was in a box of distributor guts so I dug around and found the housing. it's from May 1970.
Thanks for the tip!

ok now look up specks for 70 and you should find which one it is with the mechanical weight numbers.

I have seen cams from 7 to 15 in 2* increments, and some with angled slots. I haven't seen every one mind you. 13s and 15s I think I have seen the most of.
I drilled and tapped the top of my driveshaft and threw that flipping little wire retainer away. Now I can swap cams almost as fast as someone using the FBO plate. And I have a few custom cams I brazed up.

Mechanical advance also depends whether it was high performance or not. The straight slots were HP Prestolites from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I have seen cams from 7 to 15 in 2* increments, and some with angled slots. I haven't seen every one mind you. 13s and 15s I think I have seen the most of.
I drilled and tapped the top of my driveshaft and threw that flipping little wire retainer away. Now I can swap cams almost as fast as someone using the FBO plate. And I have a few custom cams I brazed up.
Drill and tap. Good idea, I like it!

My old Chilton book goes from 63 to 70 and some are listed as low as 5.5 to as high as 22.

The cam part looks the same to me. I think the reluctor just needs reindexing. The driveshafts are different tho
Kind of what I was thinking. Yes, to slots in the reluctor, one each for cw and ccw rotations. Vacuum cans, shafts, weights etc are different for sure. I have just never compared the advance slot shaft.

Kind of what I was thinking. Yes, to slots in the reluctor, one each for cw and ccw rotations. Vacuum cans, shafts, weights etc are different for sure. I have just never compared the advance slot shaft.
The flyweight pivot pins are reversed, and I seem to remember that the drive key was indexed quite a bit different.

The cam part looks the same to me. I think the reluctor just needs reindexing. The driveshafts are different tho
The slotted mech advance are interchangeable between all the 8 cyl, looks like the b/rb housings are the same just the shafts are different.I was just looking at them the other day, I think even the slant ones are the same will compart them next time one is apart to recondition.

if you have the piece in question stick it in and check it with a timing light,or you'll have to look at the advance plate as has been mentioned.

Bear in mind that the numbers in the service manuals and "Motor's Manuals" are DISTRIBUTOR degrees, not crank degrees

I have to take some pics, seems the angled ones are the ones over 14 or so, just pulled one out of a junker that is marked 18, that is 36 at the crank with no vac advance!

-
Back