distributor question!!!!!

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
I have a 77 318 out if a truck and I'm not sure if my distributor is a points or electronic
or.... any help would be appreciated thanks

i've read that the point based will have extra wire from going in top of distributor, and electric will only have one wire out top for each cylinder.

so for your 318, 9 wires on top = point based

this is true for the one distributor I've dealt with :p

i've read that the point based will have extra wire from going in top of distributor, and electric will only have one wire out top for each cylinder.

HUH???????????????????????????
Is pot legal in Kalifornia ??????????????

Evidently you've never seen a hemi with dual plug ignition

EFI_16plug_drysump_HEMI_2.jpg

but.............

engine3.jpg

or............

16251CapInside.JPG

and

silverstone-classic-056a.jpg

aDSC_5718_R.jpg

So on a serious note, here's the inside of a "Mopar electronic distributor"

dist.JPG

Notice the two-wire lead with end connector:

440Distributor.jpg

RJ Reynolds has been buying land in northern California and southern Oregon but hasn't finished yet so the law hasn't passed. Ya think voting is on the up and up, think again

Ok so since I have stick electronic ignition with the socket style dist cap what kind if wire end would I need?

Ok so since I have stick electronic ignition with the socket style dist cap what kind if wire end would I need?

I would think this would be obvious, but the wire ends for those distributor caps were the same since the early days of automobiles----the 1940's and 50's, at least.

"Different" spark plug wire ends did not come about until Ferd and GM came out with HEI, etc:

FORD-302-Distributor.jpg

1218433.jpg

You need the old style push in ends. On Mopars, points and electronic share everything in terms of wires, caps, and rotors.

Also be aware that in terms of performance, that distributor is curved completely wrong, so you may need to adjust the curve at some point down the road.

Another question I purchased a msd coil blaster and tayler wires but for the coil it said to be used on stock points distributor you would need an ballast resistor would I need one

-
Back