Distributor recurve for tradesman van

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
So my buddy’s got a tradesman van wanted to recurve his distributor, because it’s a heavy shortie van, would I just use two heavy springs to bring in the timing a lot later? That way he can get more initial with out ping, it’s a 76 360 thanks

So my buddy’s got a tradesman van wanted to recurve his distributor, because it’s a heavy shortie van, would I just use two heavy springs to bring in the timing a lot later? That way he can get more initial with out ping, it’s a 76 360 thanks
It will be a bigger pooch than it is already if you do that. I would take out the heavy spring and replace it with another light spring or contact @halifaxhops for the springs he put up for sale a few days back.Then try it and make sure it doesn't ping.

I wouldn't do either.
Find out what the timing is now.

Its not like there was a heavy spring and a light spring. There were many variations in rate and length.
The length is critical!!!
They need to match the advance governer.

In general adding a second 'light' spring will result in too little advance up to 1600 rpm or so, then too much advance in the 2000-3000 rpm range.
Using two heavy springs, in reference to the long looped secondary spring, will result in no control of the advance weights until they've moved out X number of degrees. X being determined by the slots and the spring length.

Last edited:
Depends on what is in there NOW. The stock advance in ANY "smogger" after about 70-ish and worse after 71-72-ish is very long and very slow, designed for very low numbers initial and doesn't reach full until quite high RPM. WHAT THIS MEANS is that if you start advancing the initial, it can seriously over-advance at high RPM
1....Determine "what is there" diagram it with a timing light and tach
2....If it's a smogger, either weld up the slots and shorten them, or get an FPO limiter plate or kit
3....Experiment with initial timing to determine idle/ off idle/ low RPM in gear
4....Experiment with mid range same way, set timing at RPM for "mid" cruise, IE about 35mph or something
5....Same on top end

You can do this pretty quickly if you degree the wheel, and have a light and tach, and can find some fairly low traveled road, like a straight stretch of county road where you can do 45-50 for a short time.

My brother brought me his slug of a gas-burning pig, 77 with a 360/727.
That 2bbl carb on there was extremely lean, and there was no way to put a timing light on the engine.
So I pulled the doghouse and drilled a hole in the bellhouse. Then with a piston stop, made my own mark right on the convertor. After that I could read the timing with my dial-back lite. So I made a timing map, both with and without the Vcan. The timing was extremely sluggish, and it wanted to ping just about all the time.
First
Make sure your ECU is getting the correct voltage. My van had a nearly-blown bus-bar on the ammeter, so not much was getting thru; that was a hard find. I fixed it.
As regards this van;
The 360 did not like a lot of initial.
So I scrapped work on the D, and went to work on the carb first. Man, every circuit was lean. So I pumped it up, then worked on the timing, then pumped it up some more, then more timing going back and forth until she would almost pop a wheelie! Ok slight exaggeration.
Then I pulled that sick Vcan off there and modified it for more and more cruise timing.
I put a two-stage curve in it, that was fast to 2800 or so, then slowed right down to all-in by I forget maybe 3600, I know I had to slow it down pretty hard. I think the idle timing was around 8/10. As to the cruise timing I forget but it was a lot. This was a long long time ago, so the details elude me.
Oh yeah, after I got to a certain point, I started to suspect a restricted single exhaust, so I tested the system. It was less than 4psi at WOT thru the torque-peak so I left it alone.
When I returned the van to my brother about a month later, he was so impressed that he showered me with cash. It turns out the van had already been to several shops in his medium-sized town, and no one had been able to get a thing out of it. He was one happy guy. Even the hiway mileage had improved.
After that, every time we met, I don't think he ever failed to mention that job.

Not much help, I know, but you get the idea.

No timing mark? I thought the vans some of them had marks through the bell?

No sir, unless you include the tube in the T-cover for the probe, but there was no way to accurately shine/read a strobe down there. I even tried from underneath.
I happened to have a body-plug that looked to be about right, so that is the size of the hole I sawed. When I finished, I jammed the plug into the hole.

-
Back