do 68-70 340 hp exhaust manifold fit 64 barracuda ?

-

rva

Reaction score
HI putting a 340 in a 64 barracuda 4 speed that I just picked up, will the 68-70 340 hp exhaust manifolds fit, I'm sure there will be some z bar mods but over all, or do I need the 273 manifolds.

They will fit but may need a little modification. I have a thread saved. Let me see if I can find it.

They fit. Passenger side head pipe is pretty straight forward. The driver's side head pipe takes some serious bending, especially with a 4spd.

They fit, might have to trim the collar a bit on the column. Manual steering only, won't fit power.

I just looked on TTI's site. No head pipes for those manifolds in that car. Too bad. They do a nice job with that kind of stuff. Acurite LTD either

Last edited:
I have a set of head pipes and tail pipes for a 70 duster with the hp manifolds, hope I can make them work, also I will check with accurate exhaust see if they make the head pipes thanks for all the help

I have a set of head pipes and tail pipes for a 70 duster with the hp manifolds, hope I can make them work, also I will check with accurate exhaust see if they make the head pipes thanks for all the help
I checked, they don't. Keep us posted how close the Duster pipes are. You may be onto something.

hopefully soon, engine still in machine shop getting built but for sure will let you know.
It might not hurt to contact TTI and Accurite just in case they have something going. You know, they are just like a good exhaust shop. They make a pipe that works and then copy it X 100.

Early on the right

45D3FBAE-5C36-46AF-BC0F-88AA25486D25.jpeg

Waldron Exhausts is very reasonable. That’s where I bought my exhaust system. Fit good, much cheaper than Accurate.

HI putting a 340 in a 64 barracuda 4 speed that I just picked up, will the 68-70 340 hp exhaust manifolds fit, I'm sure there will be some z bar mods but over all, or do I need the 273 manifolds.

I have TTI's now, but ran 68-70 340 hi-po manifolds in my 65 Barracuda for years. Here's my experience:

Passenger side: 71 and later manifold with center outlet fits well. In fact, with that manifold you can run a factory 71 Duster exhaust pipe as is except for adding one inch or so above the steering linkage. 68-70 manifolds, on the other hand, barely clear the inner fender. In fact, given factory variations, they may not clear in some cars. I had to dink the bulge over the rear upper control arm bushing and it still had barely 1/4 inch clearance. Down pipe will have to be custom made, but it's fairly straight forward.

Driver's side: With manual steering, the manifold will probably rub against the steering joint whenever the motor torques over (at least, it did on my car; again factory variations could give you a different result). Originally I cut the manifold in that area, turned the outlet around 180 degrees and rewelded it. Worked for a long time, but eventually broke at the weld. Got another manifold, trimmed the top of the steering joint housing and left the cap off and all cleared. Finally, I switched to a power steering column and used a Firm Feel adapter to mate it to the manual steering gearbox. Because the power steering shaft is shorter, this moved the joint out of the way. With all of these setups, the only place to run a 2.25" pipe was down between the torsion bar and the frame and then back. There was one spot where there was sufficient room to do that and still leave room for any motor rocking.

I can tell you that making 340 manifolds fit was a lot easier than making TTI's fit (although they eventually did, once I moved a bunch of stuff out of the way). But the TTI's make more power.

DSCF0082.jpg

20200125_121640.jpg

I think that using the 273 manifolds would make you pretty disappointed given that they are more restrictive. It's probably worth doing the work to fit the early 340 manifolds. Would the smaller ports seal on the 340 heads?, there would certainly be a debilitating raised lip as the head ports went into the undersized 273 manifolds

I guess everyone's experience is slightly different as far as manufacturing variance. My first '65 was a 2 dr. sedan w/ a 170 and 3 on the tree, manual steering and brakes. My Dad installed a '68 'cuda 340 and used the complete 'cuda exhaust system from front to rear, including the chrome tips after notching the rear valance. I helped with the install and don't remember him having to do anything with the column. I do remember it was close but nothing hit. My 2 cents for what it's worth. :)

I have TTI's now, but ran 68-70 340 hi-po manifolds in my 65 Barracuda for years. Here's my experience:

Passenger side: 71 and later manifold with center outlet fits well. In fact, with that manifold you can run a factory 71 Duster exhaust pipe as is except for adding one inch or so above the steering linkage. 68-70 manifolds, on the other hand, barely clear the inner fender. In fact, given factory variations, they may not clear in some cars. I had to dink the bulge over the rear upper control arm bushing and it still had barely 1/4 inch clearance. Down pipe will have to be custom made, but it's fairly straight forward.

Driver's side: With manual steering, the manifold will probably rub against the steering joint whenever the motor torques over (at least, it did on my car; again factory variations could give you a different result). Originally I cut the manifold in that area, turned the outlet around 180 degrees and rewelded it. Worked for a long time, but eventually broke at the weld. Got another manifold, trimmed the top of the steering joint housing and left the cap off and all cleared. Finally, I switched to a power steering column and used a Firm Feel adapter to mate it to the manual steering gearbox. Because the power steering shaft is shorter, this moved the joint out of the way. With all of these setups, the only place to run a 2.25" pipe was down between the torsion bar and the frame and then back. There was one spot where there was sufficient room to do that and still leave room for any motor rocking.

I can tell you that making 340 manifolds fit was a lot easier than making TTI's fit (although they eventually did, once I moved a bunch of stuff out of the way). But the TTI's make more power.

View attachment 1715477069

View attachment 1715477070

Mega cool valve covers!

-
Back