Do I have any rightss against code enforcement from city ordinances?

-
My sister-in-law is a local Code Gestapo. She told me that they don't have time to go out looking for violations, but only act on complaints. Sorry to say your problem probably won't just go away. You'll just have to comply.

Unfortunately this is the never ending battle between neighbors. Your rights to use your property as you see fit Vs. Their rights to their view and property value. Nobody is absolutely right and nobody is absolutely wrong. Laws must be written in Black and White because no two people can agree on the shade of grey that's acceptable. I've found that there is no recourse you have against mandates. They tried the same thing with me. My car was fine, I just needed plates. The car didn't run at the time. To get plates I needed insurance and an emissions test. On a car that didn't run. There was no reasoning with these people in any way. I turned the car around so they couldn't see my plates without coming on my property. And they weren't allowed on my property. If your car can at least look like it runs and drives or may be made to appear like it runs and drives you may be able to get away with something along those lines.

Find a friend that will let you store it until you are ready to put it back together. I agree that one of your neighbors called. Every neighborhood has a couple that just like to stir the crap. When I started building my shop in the back yard Three neighbors filed complaints trying to stop it. I had all my permits to build it for my hobby and not run a business so they were SOL.

When I think about it. The neighbor house west of me is a home the bank had to repossess. The sailor that bought the 3 bedroom, two bath (complete dump) paid $169K, which is more than my larger, (at the time)newer house.

The bank that owns the house probably called.

They are calling on me while I live next to half-asset, partially painted home that I have to mow, with a broken fence, etc.

The bank has let this house just rot for a year.

Do you have a car hauler? If you do and it's registered, just put the car on the trailer and put a car cover on it! Now you have a registered "vehicle" in your driveway and the car cover would not be offensive to anyone, and would not allow passers by to see just what is under the cover!! Just thinking out loud here!!! Geof

Put some flower pots on it and call it "landscaping!" "Car? What car?" I sold my house and moved over this issue. MT

Do you have a car hauler? If you do and it's registered, just put the car on the trailer and put a car cover on it! Now you have a registered "vehicle" in your driveway and the car cover would not be offensive to anyone, and would not allow passers by to see just what is under the cover!! Just thinking out loud here!!! Geof

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I am sort of split on this situation. A house down the street from my parents has ambulances and buses and all sorts of crap rotting in his yard which MIGHT be half an acre. Ordinances need to be enforced with people like that. I think if your junk sits out longer then a month it might become an issue.

Outside storage runs $100 a month per vehicle(locally)-uncovered.

How much are they going to fine you? How many times?

It may be cheaper just to store it.

I fight authority, authority always wins....

[ame]https://youtu.be/wsEwK69LXjQ[/ame]

That may work... #-o

You have to find a good loophole... :glasses7:

As the code is written you are in violation.Like it or not you must comply or get fined. Call and ask for an extention( don't ask for several years..you won't get it)Might get 60 days or something. Pretty cut and dried.

Our City Council is voting on code changes. According to their rules, my tool truck would be in violation because the passenger side wheels are on gravel and not concrete and I may not be able to pour a concrete extension to be in compliance. The ordnance change only applies to driveways on front yards but I have a corner lot so both sides are considered front yards. Time for me to retire!

Unless there are health or safety issues, I think codes are bogus.
Follow the money.
The actual code you are under would help me give some worthless advice.
(It's worth what it cost).
Like 67Dart273 says, are you actually under the ICC?
Sounds like some lame NWO group. And I can't even see that subsection on the link.
Until then, I feel your pain and welcome to my crap storm.

I started a thread in 2013 in an attempt to show how these ordinances are "ambiguous" like you say.

Spun all over the place. Follow the money.
I think I said that already.
The squeals will start when it gets there and some people get pompous.
Look up "Code Nazis" if you want to read about it and see who is who on the subject.
But there are some good points in that thread.
Your inspector does have an "ego". They are human and it's their job security.
(Number 22 and 30 good here but 31 is more funny. Listen to Lead for a good attitude.)

Notice how you are always the one they say should move.
Why not the other person?
Don't like my house? That's what real estate agents are for.

Sounds like they have a bead on you and you need to remove the car long enough to get off of their radar. Brainstorm... do you have a friend or neighbor that can take the car for a while? Anyone with a garage lift that can stow it overhead? Any local gas station that you can build a rapport with, and willing to keep it on their lot for a while, maybe at a low rate? Any local used car dealer/flipper who has a parking lot and a little extra space? If it is title and registered how do they know it is inoperable? Do you gave to move it every 10 days, or 2 weeks, like many municipalities?

I'd drop them t bars,tag it and tell em it's my driver! problem solved

What on earth is the International Code Council, and why is your city involved with them?
Is this some sort of U.N. conspiracy play? ;-)

Code enforcement sucks - it's often a neighbor complaining, but sometimes the city just drives by. Try calling and pleading your case - otherwise, not much to do but make it operable or move it off premises until it is operable, from the sound of it.

What on earth is the International Code Council, and why is your city involved with them?

I've often wondered that. The town I live in has no zoning, so they follow the state code, which, of course, follows the ICC.

Talk about ambiguous. Allowed one unlicensed vehicle. Anything else is considered "junk." Junk is described as being in a state of being parted out and/or scrapped.

The loophole, though, is if you have intent on driving it on public highways again.

If that's the case, then how can code know my intent without asking me? And if I say I'm restoring it and intend to drive it again, then how can they disprove it?

My city is changing it's codes to comply with the International Property Maintenance Code. Way too over the top in my opinion.

My city is changing it's codes to comply with the International Property Maintenance Code. Way too over the top in my opinion.

Sounds like another way to try to control people and how they live....

Welcome to Amerika....

Most municipalities dont want to be bothered with writing codes, so the 'adopt' them. Usually they either know in advance or figure it out really quick, that they dont have the manpower to enforce them. Most will just pick and choose what they will enforce. Squeeky wheel gets greased. So, they usually enforce the obvious and whatever gets reported.
Are they enforcing this equally? Does anyone else have cars out and you KNOW they are not getting cited? I would not do there work for them and turn anyone in, but if there are a lot of them around and they singled you out, you may have a case. Otherwise, i would agree that you should try to either find a way to comply or request an extension.
I park and work on my car in the driveway along a state route. Its not registered. I dont know exactly what is allowed, but i would guess they could make me move it. That said, i keep it as neat as possible. If i cant button up a job overnight i will tarp it. So, other than while i am working, it is always as together as possible. Even when i had the front end apart, i hung the road side fender on it for appearance. I dont want my place looking like a junkyard either. Even with all that, i'm sure one nosey neighbor could end my luck. Then again, most of my neighbors are far from compliant on other issues...

Never mind ordinances, codes, and laws, I could never understand the logic of wanting to live in what amounts to be a junk yard like that.

-
Back