Stroke or rebuild at stock stroke

• Stroke it!!

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Save the money!!

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
FWIW.... the testing by 540Rat puts the Brad Penn oils near to the bottom. (I know this may not suit everyone to mention that, but it is one test of wear protection.)

I wish I could blame the oil for this but I don’t believe it is. That seems like a fairly big failure for an engine with a few thousand miles on it. I don’t see oil quality doing that in such a short amount of time. I believe it is either oil pump failure or a machining defect. Possibly just a bad bearing out of the box and domino effect.

I wish I could blame the oil for this but I don’t believe it is. That seems like a fairly big failure for an engine with a few thousand miles on it. I don’t see oil quality doing that in such a short amount of time. I believe it is either oil pump failure or a machining defect. Possibly just a bad bearing out of the box and domino effect.

That's not an oil failure. That's a lack of oil/clearance issue/machine work issue. Highly unlikely it's a bad bearing either.

540Rats oil tests are worthless. You don't test engine oil with a gear oil test for starters. Then his test methods are sketchy at best.

I really just mention it to be aware that there truly is a difference in wear properties in oils and a break-in oil is likely to accelerate wear in this area. I have raced a long time (rally), and when I switched to synthetics, bearing wear like on your better looking rod bearing became a thing of the past for me.

But even with non-synthetics, I never had a problem like your mains (well, I did once.... when I ran the oil sump dry on an Opel 1.9L), so the main bearing wear does indeed look like something else. Were those Clevite 77 main bearing? (It ought to have '77' on the back of the shell somewhere...)

Last edited:
Here is my 410 from a 25mph roll in second gear.
3.23 gears
Unported (for now) 63cc Edelbrock heads.
Edebrock RPM Airgap
Box stock 750cfm Proform carb with electric choke. I haven't even tried to tune it yet.
1-5/8" headers with 2-1/2" exhaust
3500 stall TA 10"converter
28" 275 Cooper Cobras
Nowhere near an optimized combo yet, but a LOT of fun!
You might not need a stroker, but if you're even asking, you want one.

Last edited:
Here is my 410 from a 25mph roll.
3.23 gears
Unported (for now) 63cc Edelbrock heads.
Edebrock RPM Airgap
Box stock 750cfm Proform carb with electric choke. I haven't even tried to tune it yet.
1-5/8" headers with 2-1/2" exhaust
3500 stall TA 10"converter
28" 275 Cooper Cobras
Nowhere near an optimized combo yet, but a LOT of fun!
You might not need a stroker, but if you're even asking, you want one.

What rotating assembly?

What rotating assembly?
SCAT cast crank ( go forged, if you internally balance it, you might as well pay more for the crank that costs less to balance.)
SCAT H beam rods.
ARP main studs.
Wiseco Pro Tru 20cc dish pistons (.007 in the hole )
Hasting Plasma-moly rings
Clevite bearings
Felpro 1008's at .039 bring it out to about 10.1:1 SCR (swapping to Mr Gasket 1121's at .028 when the heads get ported)
Comp XE285HL cam
Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers
Crane High Intensity ( variable duration) Lifters

Pretty much, other than pistons, mine is the stroker engine from the Engine Masters episode done 10 years ahead of Blueprint.

Moper, and several other guys on Moparts.com helped me plan it out.

Last edited:
Here's the stroker crank I got online from Wong Hung Low's Knock Off Speed Shop ... I couldn't make up my mind either but I got it for $399.99... the US made one was $10,999,999 but everyone said this is just as good.

I should have it running right after I get the 340 back from the block stretcher...

large industrial engine crankshafts - Google Search:

Call Rod Bloomer for a stroker kit. My crank and rods came from him.

The crankshaft was scored fairly bad but it was salvageable. I am keep it stock stroke and the compression is coming out to 10:1. The money I saved will be going toward a converter from Dynamic, new exhaust, new wheels and tires, and disc brakes.

I’ll save the stroker for the race car in the future.

^ The Heads I am using came from Mike at MRL. I think they are New Zealand aluminum heads, maybe ProTopLine, not quite sure. Edelbrock knock offs??? They are what Mike recommended. Maybe someone else knows what Mike used for aluminum heads. They were done up with 2.08 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust and then his Stage 3 porting option was done. I port matched the AirGap intake to the heads. Compression ratio: 11.1 to 1. I am in altitude here in Denver so that was figured into the build, I wanted it to run on pump gas. The heads alone with the Hughes 1.6 rockers were right around $5k.

Last edited:
Are you having the block looked at too? Those were so bad - I'd have the main bores align-honed just because.

Are you having the block looked at too? Those were so bad - I'd have the main bores align-honed just because.

Yes sir. As well as the entire rotating assembly.

Also going to a hydraulic roller for the cam instead of the 10 year old mopar piece that was in it.

All,

Brad Penn is the old Kendall GT-1. Bradley Pennsylvania brewed! I have it in my ride! ;0 lol

Marion

I have a friend that ran that in his low 9 second vega. When the crank broke w/ his front wheels about 2 ft. in the air, I told him that the high priced kendall didn`t look any better laying out on the ground than any other oil. He sure gave me a go to hell look! Was funny . (NOT THYE BROKEN MOTOR THO) I helped him tear it down later, the pushrods were so dam slick I couldnt even pull my side out w/ bare oily hands !

Determine what you want to do with it (street, strip, street and strip) and go from there. Strokers are GREAT but unneeded when it comes down to it. My Sons Duster (3200 pounds) just went 6.54 which should be 10.40's or possibly quicker with a stock crank, Edelbrock headed, .030 over 360. Its running a small 600 lift roller cam I bought used for 120.00

View attachment 1715118285Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr
what is making this 360 so much quicker then mine I have a smaller cam 527 racer brown m 19 edelbrock air gap 750 holley turbo action 4600 904 trans 456 dana 3200 lbs dart 6.93 @96.9 mph best sixty was 1.409 most of the time my car is a 7.00 7.05 car ?

-
Back