Do these magazines inflate their HP and torque

-
Does yours run 118 mph in 1/4?

That car/chassis/converter work like crap. ET is about chassis efficiency, not HP.

600hp in a 3600# car should be trapping up around 126-127.

There was a guy here that was pissed his car only ran 12.20's and complained to the engine builder. Builder told him the car chassis didn't work well and needed some dialing in for the 680hp engine. Customer said no way it should run better. Builder asked what did it MPH... 131... nope no HP there. LOL

personally i don't believe anything in magazines anymore. all i use them for is to check out cool new products.

personally i don't believe anything in magazines anymore. all i use them for is to check out cool new products.

Yeah some of the stuff sure doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, dynos can be fudged through correction factors to make numbers. I know two big time builders and one dyno for sure that whack number up 7-9%. according to all, numbers sell engines. They sure don't perform at the track or other dynos like the did at the other places.

I know the stuff Brian did, dyno'd and ran in his car exactly like we anticipated. No BS, No fluff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can go faster with a good chassis and a so so engine than you can with a good engine and a so so chassis. The chassis is the foundation upon which everything else will relate too. Build a good foundation first. Besides it's probably a lot cheaper than that 680 hp engine.

Do these magazines inflate their HP and torque

YES

I wish I could have saved it.

Years ago, about '71-74, in one of the popular mags, "Hot Rod", "Popular Hot Rodding", "Car Craft," etc WAYYYYYyyyyyyyyy in the back of one mag, "they had been caught" by somebody

So there's a little square box, looked like an ad, "disclaimer"

Went on about "sometimes we test a car and we thing the driver, the weather, the mojo, the stock marketer, yadayada, gives us times and numbers and "we think" the car should "have done better." So we "factor" the numbers.

I WISH dearly I had saved this and framed it. It's something you won't see in these magazines very darn often.

YES

I wish I could have saved it.

Years ago, about '71-74, in one of the popular mags, "Hot Rod", "Popular Hot Rodding", "Car Craft," etc WAYYYYYyyyyyyyyy in the back of one mag, "they had been caught" by somebody

So there's a little square box, looked like an ad, "disclaimer"

Went on about "sometimes we test a car and we thing the driver, the weather, the mojo, the stock marketer, yadayada, gives us times and numbers and "we think" the car should "have done better." So we "factor" the numbers.

I WISH dearly I had saved this and framed it. It's something you won't see in these magazines very darn often.

I wish you could find that magazine . 600HP 600 lb torque should run a lot better than that , even with a bad set up . My 4700 lb truck ran a 13.5 with 640 HP and it was far from a perfectly set up chassis . And I always spend the $ to put engine on a dyno and a chassis dyno once in the car , I like to know what they put out so I have an idea what they will run . And those computer progs are off by a good + 10-20% , at least that's my experience .

just wondering if the new vehicles horepower ratings are also inflated. We recently tried a 2010 ram on the quarter and it ran 90 mph....seems rather low for a 400 horse hemi.
My lil red ran 15.3 at 89 mph years ago with the original 220 horse 360.

it just seems like the new stuff has big numbers but no performance to match these high horse numbers ... hell my new 2011 Journey is rated at 285 horse!

just wondering if the new vehicles horepower ratings are also inflated. We recently tried a 2010 ram on the quarter and it ran 90 mph....seems rather low for a 400 horse hemi.

it just seems like the new stuff has big numbers but no performance to match these high horse numbers ... hell my new 2011 Journey is rated at 285 horse!

Some do , new Mustang with 400 hp ran a 12.6 at the track , stock car about a month old , nothing done to it .
What gears on the new truck ? Sounds slow , my old stock 360 1977 Ram turned a 16.2 at 87 mph

I know what you mean. When I got my 11 Ram, my first thought when I put my foot into it was "that's it!!" There's a lot of HP loss through a 4x4 drivetrain though so that could be part of the problem. Rear end gearing makes a big difference and the trans could use a shift program to get the most out of it. I found most of the power came on in the midrange which was pretty impressive. Let's face it though they really didn't design the truck for drag racing. That being said it's the fastest stock truck I've ever owned or been in.

Some do , new Mustang with 400 hp ran a 12.6 at the track , stock car about a month old , nothing done to it .
What gears on the new truck ? Sounds slow , my old stock 360 1977 Ram turned a 16.2 at 87 mph

don't know the ratio, i assume 3.55-1...it started as a friendly saturday evening discussion between my buddy with the ram and a 2011 GMc(alcohol enduced conversation)
the next day we run him 2 passes at the local dragstrip (after hours) ...beat him both passes, BARELY, but they both seemed slow for the supposed horepower

Does yours run 118 mph in 1/4?

That car/chassis/converter work like crap. ET is about chassis efficiency, not HP.

600hp in a 3600# car should be trapping up around 126-127.

There was a guy here that was pissed his car only ran 12.20's and complained to the engine builder. Builder told him the car chassis didn't work well and needed some dialing in for the 680hp engine. Customer said no way it should run better. Builder asked what did it MPH... 131... nope no HP there. LOL
12 20 @131 that thing was screaming,last half of the track.mine did 12 20@110 talk about driving around you....

A lot depends on the dyno they used. As mentioned.. It is WELL known that some builders and magazines inflate, and it's more a function I believe of the calibrations on the dyno. Because it's all based on math, the variables on the setup can be manipulated to "fudge it". Similar to flow benches. They are just tools. Teh real test is the track. At a speed of 109, they are making steam. But the car is a package, like Guitar often says. If you compromise an area for something, like gearing for mileage, or wheels and tires for handling, you will lose something in anotehr area, like traction in a straight line. You cant have everything.

I think they do. Even some motor builders will. NOT ALL just some. Like redline saying they take a stock LS1 crate motor and change the cam, tune, and put headers on it and bang! Some how it makes 500 HP? Ya ok. lol

Or like one mag that did a 340 build ad it made 390 hp. Then in the next issue they had a frature car with about the same build that had a little more cam and some port work that did 390 HP? HMMMM.

Some of it could be different dynos for sure. I have known guys that took there cars to a few different dynos and non of them were all that close to the same.

i went from a 13.40 to a 11.90 from throwing a B&M converter in the trash and having a thousand $ ATI built with the correct 4000 flash for my cam. It's all about the setup as the above gentlemen have stated. i also found 2 tenths from doing a battery relocation and replacing the stock gas tank with a fuel cell. its amazing what weight transfer can do.

you also have to take into account that alot of those magazine cars (and not all of them, not meaning to offend anyone) are trailer queens and show cars. not everyone is using 5000 flash converters and 4.10 gears. so these 600 horse show cars with A/C and stereos and all that jazz would literally get walked by my little street/strip dart with 380 crank horse that ran the above times. so i don't believe the numbers are fudged...just not everyone is taking off wiper motors and carpet padding like some of us and building a "street legal...ish" lol drag car.

Extreme example of a good HP with bad chassis...????

Think of a top fuel car with street tires. :burnout:

I wouldnt doubt that new cars have that power. They are just getting heavier for modern technology/nice interior and are geared for econmy...I mean the gears in the dodge ram, 1st gear takes you to 50-55mph. And I believe ive seen better times of that truck running 14's stock weighing almost 5,000lbs depending on the package.

-
Back