Do You Restorers Replace the Styrofoam Inserts or Just Throw 'em Out?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
These things must have some purpose, found em stuffed down low between the front frame rails and the lower firewall-one on each side. I'm surprised mice or so other critters haven't chewed them to bits by now (from a '65 Barracuda).

DSC07435.JPG

I could not see these styrofoam thins on the '65 Valiant Signet convertible I have, but I stuck my fingers down there in the space (lower firewall and frame) and I could feel something similar, so probably factory installed and not something a previous owner stuck in there.

No response on my thread looking for the location where these two large rubber bumpers belong on a '65 Barracuda, so I thought I would enclose the picture here in case anyone recognizes them for me (at the top of the photo with two very unique fasteners):

DSC07412.JPG

i had these between the 1/4 panels and the wheel well

1.JPG

Factory sound control so the body won't sound like a tin can.

My 66 has one on the passenger side. I haven't seen or felt the one on the driver's side. But I haven't looked so it may be there!!!

I always thought they were used as a protection against dirt/debris build up in between the frame rail and floor pan. That area is like a scoop for foreign material to accumulate while driving down the road and eveything just blows right in to promote rust out.

I could not see these styrofoam thins on the '65 Valiant Signet convertible I have, but I stuck my fingers down there in the space (lower firewall and frame) and I could feel something similar, so probably factory installed and not something a previous owner stuck in there.

No response on my thread looking for the location where these two large rubber bumpers belong on a '65 Barracuda, so I thought I would enclose the picture here in case anyone recognizes them for me (at the top of the photo with two very unique fasteners):

View attachment 1715523772

rear bumper area supports (so bumper jack doesn;t jack up the bumper and chip paint or dent the chrome strip if you have it.)

View attachment 1715523772

I have those pieces and have to get them back to Waggin, (lost the bolts, wll put them away so I wouldn't lose them and promptly forgot where I stashed em) Can you please let me know how long the shoulder is what size nut fits on there and the length of the bolts? please. I'll ask Waggin as soon as I get those rubber parts back to him and take pictures of where they go.
thanks

Yup, I have those protectors too. Never seen that filler though...where is it again? Are they visible as I got my inners out and I got lots of room to look now.

I always thought they were used as a protection against dirt/debris build up in between the frame rail and floor pan. That area is like a scoop for foreign material to accumulate while driving down the road and eveything just blows right in to promote rust out.

Could be, but foam or insulation either one are both magnets for dirt, debris and moisture. Rust city. I would rather have nothing in there.

OK, mines not that far apart. Ill live with them. Expanding foam may work as a replacement if your looking to fill a void.

Rubber bumper pads for rear bumper. There is a rectangular hole with a spring nut sort of thing that these screw into. They hold the front corners of the rear bumper so they don't jiggle around.
Bumper pad1.jpg
bumper pad2.jpg

Last edited:
I need the spec of the shoulder bolts that go into those rubber pieces

The threads are 1/4" in diameter and the head takes a 7/16" socket/wrench. The bolt is 1" long, with the threaded part taking up about 2/3 of the length (.62"-.65") and the shoulder part taking up the other 1/3 (.31"-.35"). The shoulder is about 3/8" in diameter. The built in washer is about 3/4" in diameter. If I had a gram scale, I would have weighed it also (LOL).

DSC07447.JPG

DSC07448.JPG

The threads are 1/4" in diameter and the head takes a 7/16" socket/wrench. The bolt is 1" long, with the threaded part taking up about 2/3 of the length (.62"-.65") and the shoulder part taking up the other 1/3 (.31"-.35"). The shoulder is about 3/8" in diameter. The built in washer is about 3/4" in diameter. If I had a gram scale, I would have weighed it also (LOL).

View attachment 1715524861

View attachment 1715524862
wohhoo sweet. Thanks 'n' now I can find/get the bolts and get the parts off to waggin. BTW the rubber pieces are/fit in the rear bumper area (look for a hole in the quarter panel rear bumper area.)

Found the square hole, thanks (been looking for a hole with hair around it). I guess hair is out of fashion right now.

Last edited:
-
Back