Dodge done in NASCAR

-
There's a 'Ram' brand now. They make the Ram trucks, formerly known as Dodge Rams. This move was apparently in the works before Fiat got involved.

Based on the statistics, NASCAR is on it's way out as a big time sport. I still enjoy to watch (and have been since 1981) but the "fad" of being a NASCAR fan I think has run it's course. The last couple years it has been pretty empty at the tracks when I got the chance to see a couple races live (Charlotte and Richmond). And TV viewing numbers continue to fall.

Advertising pays the bills and when there are less watching, less will be investing in advertising. A tough downward sprial to stop.

Maybe Dodge has decided to put the racing support $ into general advertising instead of chasing what looks like a dying sport. Penske may have realized this and moved on.

Ma Snart

I think you are wrong about nascar being a dyeing sport.Spectater numbers started dropping when the US economy tanked 4 years ago. And well tv rating have dropped it is still the second most watched sport on tv next to the NFL. I think the biggest problem for Dodge will be who builds the engines now that penske is moving to Ford.

You are right Cuda20, dying is probaley too harsh of a word. Point is that the numbers I have seen on TV viewing are down and the stands have been very empty. You couple that with the people that I talk to about NASCAR all over the country (I travel a fair amount) who are still watching but are not happy about the direction the sport is heading, and I do not get good vibes about the future.

By the way to say it again, your car is killer!

Ma Snart

Thanks Ma. I remember reading about your car as MM was building it. I really liked the color. It was what swayed me to paint my car the color I did instead of the factory yellow.

From what i have read, Penske didn't feel that Fiat had a serious commitment to the Nascar program.
I think that is closer to the truth of the matter.
All that I see that is available is nothing but second tier teams out there.
Dodge will have to spend serious money to get a top tier team or come up with a new team with full factory support. I don't see this happening, the old "Chrysler" could do it from scratch, but not Fiat. They don't care.
Lets look at it from another standpoint. Whats in it for the manufacture?
All use the same basic engine, chassis, & body. Nothing here allows the mfg. to build a better mouse trap. So it just comes down to drivers & strategy for the most part.
This is what is hurting Nascar in my opinion.
What would happen, if they had to utilize the assembly line engines? Things would get interesting for sure. Overhead cam vs Push rods! Anything goes as long as its a stock block & heads. This allows the mfg. to build a better mouse trap & I think would bring fans back to supporting the manufacture.
Back to the Dodge thing, if they settle for a second tier team, it will be from a marketing aspect & nothing else.

its not far fetched to think that one day, nascar will have their own engine program, their own chassis and bodies that are identical and every part and piece is from the exact same source through nascar and every team will have to use them. the teams would only consist of a driver, a pit crew , an assembly crew , and one guy that paints the bodies and applies the sponsor stickers that are chosen out of a hat. oh wait, we are almost there now. or even better, completed cars will be issued to drivers , with only a pit crew in tow. the makes and models would simply be called the NASCAR XX2500

well if dodge does quit then this old man will do just like he did the last time find something else to watch or do. i will give the new female a shot just because a woman is trying but if she doesnt change that altitude she has wont be rooting for her either.

I was angry at NASCAR when they started changing the rules to get rid of Chrylser's 426 Hemi. Ford and Chevy were hollering that they couldn't compete against that engine and that they would get out of NASCAR.

Next, I lost interest when they dropped the "500" rule of selling a minimum of 500 production models to qualify the car for NASCAR racing.

I stopped watching or caring about NASCAR when they came out with the uni-car and the only way to tell who was driving a brand name was by getting a glimpse of the front "grille" decal.

I would return to watching if they went bact to the "500" rule and just let the teams run whatever they could develop with the makers.

I was angry at NASCAR when they started changing the rules to get rid of Chrylser's 426 Hemi. Ford and Chevy were hollering that they couldn't compete against that engine and that they would get out of NASCAR.

the only way to beat the hemi was to ban it in (71). the wing cars were allowed to run in (72) with a small block at 355 inches . nascar gasped as the small block birds were leading races , but when the noses were taking bumps and bruises , the SB could not compensate for it in horsepower ,the next year (73) the wings were gone, and so was the legend of the wing cars. i think petty jumped in a dodge from plymouth in the 73 season

the only way to beat the hemi was to ban it in (71). the wing cars were allowed to run in (72) with a small block at 355 inches . nascar gasped as the small block birds were leading races , but when the noses were taking bumps and bruises , the SB could not compensate for it in horsepower ,the next year (73) the wings were gone, and so was the legend of the wing cars. i think petty jumped in a dodge from plymouth in the 73 season

Yea, Petty jumped over to the Dodge Charger for 1973. It proved to be one of the better areo cars of that time.
Petty ran one until it 1978, the last year it was eligble. Notice he didn't switch to the newer Charger & kept the 4-year old style car.
He tried the new Magnum with no success & them switched to GM.
Also a note about this, Chrysler was bankrupt about this time & Nascar wasn't a priority at this time.
Although, Petty's son, Kyle, first win came in that Dodge Magnum.
So I have to think it was a commitment concern on Chryslers part that forced Petty to go with the GM cars at the time.

From what i have read, Penske didn't feel that Fiat had a serious commitment to the Nascar program.
I think that is closer to the truth of the matter.
All that I see that is available is nothing but second tier teams out there.
Dodge will have to spend serious money to get a top tier team or come up with a new team with full factory support. I don't see this happening, the old "Chrysler" could do it from scratch, but not Fiat. They don't care.
Lets look at it from another standpoint. Whats in it for the manufacture?
All use the same basic engine, chassis, & body. Nothing here allows the mfg. to build a better mouse trap. So it just comes down to drivers & strategy for the most part.
This is what is hurting Nascar in my opinion.
What would happen, if they had to utilize the assembly line engines? Things would get interesting for sure. Overhead cam vs Push rods! Anything goes as long as its a stock block & heads. This allows the mfg. to build a better mouse trap & I think would bring fans back to supporting the manufacture.
Back to the Dodge thing, if they settle for a second tier team, it will be from a marketing aspect & nothing else.

I can tell you from first hand experiance, what Fiat is doing with Chrysler is anything and everything it can to make it profitable again. Period. The guy running Fiat is Sergio Marchionne and he has worked miracles in the last 5 years making CNH (the farm machinery company I have worked for 32 years) profitable again. He is doing the same thing to Chrysler right now. If Fiat/Chrysler has decided to move away from NASCAR (I sure hope not!), it is only because that is what is needed to happen right now to continue to mend Chrysler.

Sergio was born in Italy but grew up in Toronto, Canada. He spent most of his career working for non - Italian companies. His focus right now is making all of the Fiat investments as profitable as possible. Getting involved with Chysler was only because he knew neither Chrysler nor Fiat Auto had enough production volume seperately to survive long term, but that together they had a chance.

By the way, he told me once that one of his favorite cars growing up was the Hemi Under Glass Cuda - He is an A body fan as well!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• 66.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 125
Back in the day, my greaser buds and I would bench race all the time. We were a mixed bunch - Ford, Pontiac, Chevy, and a few Mopars. We would brag about the winner of a particular race based on what car we owned. We Mopar guys did a lot of bragging back then, especially with NASCAR, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Super Stock.

Yup, Mopar was winning too much and the Brand Xes were whining too much. Then came the death of the Hemi, followed by banning the Superbird and Daytona in NASCAR. Of course, then came the weight penalties put on Mopars in Pro Stock. Then the crybabies complained that Mopar was too strong in S/S.

Something tells me that the Brand Xes are afraid of Mopar engineering.

I think the decline in the NASCAR audience might have something to do with the COT that they are presently running with ridiculous engine allowances. Toyota does not even offer their engine to the public in a car. I have to say that none of my old bench racing buddies watch NASCAR anymore because of all this.

I agree, Fiat is going to make Chyrsler profitable, This I understand.
Nascar may not be the place for it. Like I said, it puts limits on the manufacture.
Honestly, how many new car purchases are based off what wins on Sunday anymore?
I know this is hard to hear, as I'm one of those who still take pride when my brand wins.
To me, Ram & Dodge would do better if they just supplied all of the support equipment for Nascar or sponser a race.
It would be cheaper to do that, than fund a racecar team.
Penske was Dodges last shot of having a competive car in Nascar. I would rather they not be involved than watch them finish in the back of the pack.

I agree, Fiat is going to make Chyrsler profitable, This I understand.
Nascar may not be the place for it. Like I said, it puts limits on the manufacture.
Honestly, how many new car purchases are based off what wins on Sunday anymore?
I know this is hard to hear, as I'm one of those who still take pride when my brand wins.
To me, Ram & Dodge would do better if they just supplied all of the support equipment for Nascar or sponser a race.
It would be cheaper to do that, than fund a racecar team.
Penske was Dodges last shot of having a competive car in Nascar. I would rather they not be involved than watch them finish in the back of the pack.

I agree 100%

Agree X (where ever we are on this). It is a shame to see Penske drop Dodge as their NASCAR ride.

Mopar has dumped NASCAR before when times were tough from a financial perspective. They won't be back until they are healthy enough to compete successfully and/or want the NASCAR fan market more than they do now.

2013 unveiled today with no teams:wack:

431023_263695443712390_100002158105239_584452_1803326455_n.jpg

Today dave dispain said could chrysler a company that the government had to BAIL OUT, afford to spend money in NASCAR? A statement like that after the government gave 6 percent to chrysler and like 60 percent to GM is just plain BS. Cheverolet has spent TONS on advertising, racing and every nook they can to drive that brand into every crack of america. Look at all the chevy comments on every contry song they can. We are against a big evil, Governmenmt Motors! We are being played like a drum.

-
Back