Does anybody use ax-15 or NV500 (??) trannys from dakotas?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
i know they're 3.9 v6 trannys but i know they will bolt up to a 318. Anybody use them? they should be able to handle a stock/mild 318 yea? maybe a couple custom mounts and a few cuts for the pedal assembly and it should work out...theoretically anyways lol any input??

lemme know!

I have an AX-15 in my '93 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L and the ratios are WIIIDE, 2nd to 3rd is like a 2000 RPM drop shifting at 4500 RPM. Not to mention the shifter has a pretty long throw and is stiff and 'chunky' to shift. NV3500 is stronger and shifts smoother but still has pickup-truck wide ratios.

gotta be better than a three/four speed tho no? at least on the fwy lol. Aftermarket 5 speeds are expeeeeeeensive and even original 4 speeds with pedals and everything are pushing over a grand. just looking at my options cuz automatics are booooring to drive.

Gear ratios are not 'terrible'...3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79
Some of the AX15 shift smooth, probably an individual trans issue.
The AX15 was used with the 5.2 so...

The ax15's are a good transmission, they did come behind v8s and should handle a moderate 318 without issue. Gear ratios aren't bad for the street, probably not what you want for racing.

Bigger issue for putting one in an a body will be the size of the transmission and location of the shifter, it won't be a bolt in operation...

gotta be better than a three/four speed tho no? at least on the fwy lol. Aftermarket 5 speeds are expeeeeeeensive and even original 4 speeds with pedals and everything are pushing over a grand. just looking at my options cuz automatics are booooring to drive.
If you are looking for cheap you picked the wrong brand.....

-
Back