does anyone ever feel guilty

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
if a day goes by and i didnt do something on a car i actually feel guilty and feel like im wasting time .....my family here says im obsessed or addicted to cars .......anyone else feel the same?

yea but its more money than time... hard to get stuff done with no money lol...

No I don't feel that way at all.Like 805moparkid said more about money or lack of it.

Yes!! Cars are like a drug to some.Just like Booze or Smoking(All kinds of things).
I mentioned this to a few on here before. I sold my 64 Belvedere in December and my 63 Valiant this summer.My race car is back east 2500 miles away.Two weeks after selling the Belvedere I was "Jonesin like a Junkie" and had to find something,,LIKE RIGHT NOW ! I thought my 88 Dodge truck would be enough, but I couldn't take it.If I don't go to my shop everyday and at least look at things I start to get the shakes. I feel your pain.As far as your friends and family,,They may never understand. I'll bet you everyone that reads your post does.....

I,ve been in the garage since getting off work friday afternoon.Between visitors,phone calls and watching TV I,ve actually got alot done. :wack:

Yes!! Cars are like a drug to some.Just like Booze or Smoking(All kinds of things).
I mentioned this to a few on here before. I sold my 64 Belvedere in December and my 63 Valiant this summer.My race car is back east 2500 miles away.Two weeks after selling the Belvedere I was "Jonesin like a Junkie" and had to find something,,LIKE RIGHT NOW ! I thought my 88 Dodge truck would be enough, but I couldn't take it.If I don't go to my shop everyday and at least look at things I start to get the shakes. I feel your pain.As far as your friends and family,,They may never understand. I'll bet you everyone that reads your post does.....

if i didn't build hemi cars all day i would be in a bad way...

Tell them there a lot worse things to be addicted to. At least with our addiction we get something out of it!!

even during times of low or no funds .....i have found that there is always something to sort, sand, assemble or disassemble.

i can stay busy on cars 24/7 if i didnt have general life as an interuption or didnt have to sleep. sleep sure takes a lot time away from a person....kinda annoying.

even during times of low or no funds .....i have found that there is always something to sort, sand, assemble or disassemble.

i can stay busy on cars 24/7 if i didnt have general life as an interuption or didnt have to sleep. sleep sure takes a lot time away from a person....kinda annoying.
I find that work also gets in the way of time! lol.

sleep sure takes a lot time away from a person....kinda annoying.

Watch what you wish for.........not being able to sleep really sucks.....and if you do not enough of it the last thing you will be wanting to do is work on anything that is not an absolute necessity.....

if a day goes by and i didnt do something on a car i actually feel guilty and feel like im wasting time .....my family here says im obsessed or addicted to cars .......anyone else feel the same?

no not really, when im not working on a car it means all is well. i should start
feeling guilty about my cuda. it needs a good helping hand and for me to get up
and go work on it.

Yep , working on cars is what I do when I am feeling well enough to do it . And have a lot of issues that keep me from getting back to work on mine . I would if I could , but I can't , so ........

Yep , working on cars is what I do when I am feeling well enough to do it . And have a lot of issues that keep me from getting back to work on mine . I would if I could , but I can't , so ........

How far are you from Oklahoma?

Well, as my wife says, she would rather have me wrenching on the duster in the garage than sitting at the bar with my buddies! She can come and see me alot easier!

i find when i work on cars or jeeps it relaxes me. and yes there is always some thing to do. i have been looking for another dart after i hurt my back, jeepin well the pounding you take on some trails is to much. on the street is not as bad. what is really funny my wife would come out to the garage why don't you come in and be social. i finally got tryed of that and asked her for $100.00 she asked why and i told her i was going to the bar, after that she comes out to the garage with me

I only feel guilty if I don't take advantage of good weather during the spring/summer here in MI.

There's almost always something I can do with my Dart, but weather will prevent me from doing it because our garage isn't quite big enough to keep the car inside and work on it.

If you are taking care of your family and not neglecting your responsibilities, don't feel guilty. As was said before, there are a whole lot of other worse things that you could be addictied to. For me, it's therapy. I was laid off a few years back for much longer than I would have expected. I fought depression and bouts of anger because my life was turned upside down. What helped the most was working on something in the gargae and focusing my mind on something other than my employment situation. Wrenching on cars is a good thing. It helps keep you active, your mind sharp, and the hobby allows you to meet and talk with people that have similar interests. Just make sure that you are first taking care of those around you who depend on you. That's always most important, even if they don't understand why you have to work on your old cars!

It's not just cars for me, it's guilty if I'm not working on something. I've got a "to-do list" like you wouldn't believe. I used to carry a list in my top pocket of things that I needed to take care of or do......now it's actual clipboard! LOL One thing that used to be really super cool, and that was I had access to a large bead blaster and steam cleaner at my work site. That was heaven. I could steam parts (even blocks!) or bead blast brackets on my lunch hour, then bring 'em home spotless! I don't work at that site anymore. :(

With me, it's usually money holding things up...

People have told me I'm addicted to cars for years and years!! My response is "it could be worse". Stay addicted!! BTW, I thought that was cool you went out to check on the wagon at 3am! LMAO *obviously not addicted*

Hmmmmm. Good question.
I used to feel that way when i was younger too.
Now that i'm in my 50's i find i need to pace myself more, and i now realize that there is more time later to get things done if i don't get it done right away.
I used to beat myself up about deadlines etc. but not now anymore.
You need to prioritize things in your life to make you happy, if that means working on cars 24/7, so be it. If it means going to a movie or concert, so be it. If you feel the need to clean up and paint some brackets for your engine at 3 am, then do it.
Just don't sweat it, there's always tomorrow.
I think you should be proud of yourself for being so driven, a lot of people are lazy and never accomplish anything in their lives at all.
Like they say, patience is a virtue.

Hmmmmm. Good question.
I used to feel that way when i was younger too.
Now that i'm in my 50's i find i need to pace myself more, and i now realize that there is more time later to get things done if i don't get it done right away.
I used to beat myself up about deadlines etc. but not now anymore.
You need to prioritize things in your life to make you happy, if that means working on cars 24/7, so be it. If it means going to a movie or concert, so be it. If you feel the need to clean up and paint some brackets for your engine at 3 am, then do it.
Just don't sweat it, there's always tomorrow.
I think you should be proud of yourself for being so driven, a lot of people are lazy and never accomplish anything in their lives at all.
Like they say, patience is a virtue.

Dartnut describes most of us in our mid century spot I think.
I never feel guilty...and if this is the addiction gene I'm born with, than I'm ok with this one.

Yep...I often feel guilty for not doing one of the MANY to-do's on the Duster. Now that it is warm enough to work on it again, I try to spend a little time each night working on it after the kids are off to bed. Been averaging 3 nights per week (unfortunately I find myself so immersed in the task that I lose track of time, only to find it's midnight. My 5 am wake up comes real early! LOL). I also try to work on the more major repairs on the weekends..in between my daughters many activities. The good news beingthey like to help out on the car when they are able, so we still get some real quality bonding time :blob:.

Pat

X10 :coffee2:

I had a beautiful strongend and stayed outside with my carpulled out of her nest and did some cleaning and checked all my lug nuts and fluids and all was perfect, I gave Victoria a bath (mainly dust from setting) then moved to all my parts and blew the dust of of them, cleaned my mancave and watched nascar enjoying a couple (ok a few) brewskies :D, I put my a/c system in and Buddy and I enjoyed 2 days together :cheers: I spent zero money and still have many projects to move forward on.. I did not see my wife all day late Saturday or Sunday :coffee2: Just me and Buddy in the shop making plans :glasses7:

I could have went to the drag strip but I had so much to doo's I stayed home
and did not leave :D, know my cookie jar is fuller because I stayed home :glasses7:

It drives me crazy lol I call it neglect. I wish I had the money to do a full restore but for now there is always little ways I can improve it. Some with little to no money.

-
Back