Does anyone know what these "things" are or do? On a 73 dart custom

-

Matt B

Reaction score
Snapchat-1123757692.jpg
Snapchat-463678966.jpg
just rebuilt the engine and looked at all my pictures and the two items in the picture were never hooked up. I dont know if these are important. The hoses in the picture just happen to be sitting there, not for those. The engine is a 225 /6 hooked to a 904 auto tranny. Single barrel intake. No a/c

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Read your shop manual which you can download for free at MyMopar. THAT manual, and several others over there, CAME FROM some of the guys right here. "Emissions"

Those are 73 only pieces. The left one goes to the distributor vacuum advance. Not sure about the other one. Early attempts at emission control.

View attachment 1715382139 View attachment 1715382140 just rebuilt the engine and looked at all my pictures and the two items in the picture were never hooked up. I dont know if these are important. The hoses in the picture just happen to be sitting there, not for those. The engine is a 225 /6 hooked to a 904 auto tranny. Single barrel intake. No a/c

That one on the left makes a nice access to clean your cowl out.:D
Yea, early smog stuff and not needed.

The dingus on the left (outboard) is an OSAC valve, "Orifice Spark Advance Control". Its job is to delay vacuum to the distributor for 7 to 17 seconds so the '73 cars could squeak past their Federal emissions type-approval tests and be legal for first sale. Notorious for causing hesitation, mushy acceleration, and poor driveability. You're best off leaving it disconnected; run the vacuum advance hose directly from the correct port on the carburetor to the distributor. The "CARB" stamp does not refer to the California Air Resources Board, it indicates which port originally got the hose from the carburetor.

The inboard dingus is a thermal vacuum switch. Its job was to block vacuum to the EGR valve below a certain ambient temperature. According to Chrysler, this was installed because at very low temperatures there was less tendency for high combustion chamber temperatures to form NOx, so under those conditions there was no need to suffer the driveability hit caused by EGR. According to EPA, that's a load of poo and this was really installed because the Federal emissions type-approval test protocol didn't include operation at the low temperatures when this dingus deactivated the EGR.

It was one of the first times EPA accused an automaker of installing an emissions control defeat device. Was it a bogus accusation? Maybe or not; that can only legitimately be answered by looking at emissions data with and without that dingus. It's academic at this point; if I were in your shoes I would permanently disable the EGR (remove valve and install blockoff plate with a new gasket is the neatest/cleanest way...or remove valve, flip it 180° and reinstall it with a new gasket…or leave the valve in place rightside up and just make sure no vacuum reaches it).

Since we are talking about making a Slant-6 Dart run better: find tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post. Do the Fuel line mod and the HEI upgrade . Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. And see this thread.

Last edited:
Nothing....only used on the Left coast.
Remove and discard you will never use them.
Unless you intend to restore to OEM.

only used on the Left coast

No, the OSAC valve was present and hooked up as original equipment on all '73s and many '74-'75-'76 cars, no matter what state they were sold in. They were even present on Canada-spec cars, though Canada's emissions regs were not as strict as the American regs until '88-'89. The thermal vacuum switch was on most early-production and a fair percentage of late-production '73s, again regardless of where they were first sold.

I've had a couple of '73 models and I just weld in a patch over those, prime, fill, sand and paint. Afterwards, it is as if they were never there.

-
Back