Does hole in my hood affect cooling? And should I get Hood to rad/hood to cowl seals?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
Time to step up to alum rad (planning on going w/champion since they are 1 hour away). I don't have either seal. I would think I should at least get the hood to rad. seal. Do you think the hole in the hood makes the hood to cowl kinda useless? Thx kids :)

You can put foam pipe insulation on the top radiator support to seal to the hood. Cowl only keeps fumes out.

Installing an aluminum plate on the carbs, with foam hitting the hood, would keep hot air from the carbs.

I think I see headers? if so--- over the winter I pull my headers and use header wrap to cut down on heat under the hood.

The hole might even make the car run cooler. On old Z cars the front fenders act like a scoop and kinda pressurize the engine bay once you hit 60+ mph, then the temperature needle rises and the AC quits working well. The fix is to vent the hood or leave out the inspection doors. Course the aero on those old Z's is pretty awful

Seal the core support to radiator.
Seal the core support to hood.
Seal any extraneous holes in core support.
Absolutely run a fan shroud making sure the fan blades are tight to the opening and not too far in or out.
Seal the hood scoop opening to everything but carburetor inlet air. Having the scoop opening open to the engine box can and most likely will disrupt air flow through the radiator. Provided the stock radiator is still in good shape, if it did the job before the addition of the hood scoop, chances are, after sealing off the hood scoop opening, it will again, thus negating the need and expense of an aluminum radiator.
Doing the things outlined above will only improve any radiator's performance.

-
Back