Don't get sick outside of the usa !!

-
I was in the hospital a long time ago with a broken leg. THEY WOKE ME UP AT 4:00 AM TO GIVE ME A SLEEPING PILL...

Hello, I was already sleeping and didn't need the dam pill!

I wouldn't doubt that your insurance provider cancels your insurance after they find out you had a stroke.....
That's what happened to a friend of mine in Idaho after he had a stroke.
They said that he was now ''too much of a risk''.

I understand the universal health care and glad that everyone is covered but if the government pays for all this I would think that the hospitals & Dr's would be more closely watched. I know I was a small remote hospital but just saying....it was bad !!!

We have 700,000 in our city and it was only a few years ago a person died in emergency waiting for help. It's sad the state of the health care system up here,went thru hell each time my parents had to go in the hospital.The misdiagnsosis was unbeleivable! :violent1:Sorry to here you were treated so poorly,glad to see your ok.

I wouldn't doubt that your insurance provider cancels your insurance after they find out you had a stroke.....
That's what happened to a friend of mine in Idaho after he had a stroke.
They said that he was now ''too much of a risk''.
well anything is possible but I doubt it will get cancelled I'm a retired state employee ( Pa. ) and the ins was included in my retirement package. My buddy is also a retired state employee and has had 5 heart attacks & 3 stints put in and they haven't cancelled him. I'm very lucky to have the ins that I have and it was just such a shock to find out that they wouldn't take my ins...live & learn I guess !

Credit cards before healthcare.
Makes you wonder whatever happened to the Hippocratic oath?

MoparsO, glad to hear you came through that ordeal and are still around to enjoy the hobby with the rest of us.

On another note, someone previously attributed (correctly) the reason for sky rocketing medical costs in America. Now, I know I'm gonna get my chops busted by some here, but what I'm about to share is valuable information for those stressing over long term health costs and the fear of bankruptcy.

We have a presidential nominee, who also happens to be a DR, and he's deliver over 1000 babies in the state of Texas. Texans love him so much, they've sent him back to Congress for ELEVEN consecutive elections.

What this candidate, and his son (he's also a DR) have done, is establish, in several locations around the nation, walk in clinics that require no insurance and NO paperwork, other than a simple patient form and receipts - because everything is paid for in cash. Now stick with me here.

These Dr's had identified that the majority of medical activity (and therefore expenses) are non-life-threatening or 'minor/routine' events that actually comprise 70-80 percent of all medical events, reflecting most bills that are filed in America today.

Understanding this, they identified the exhorbitant time and expense associated with processing the same volume of documentation (regulatory and insurance req's) for minor events, as one would for a major event, and set about piloting a solution.

Ron Paul's "cash and carry" clinics, for example, in the state of Ky, have a policy of not charging more than $75 for any walk-in patient that does not require "major" medical attention (major surgeries). It was established, primarily, to ensure indigent populations had access - knowing full well the ins groups could give a hoot about your 'means'. No money - tuff Shiite !

I apologize for not having my copy handy of Ron Paul's "The Revolution" to futher expound on this, but there's an entire chapter detailing his POC (proof of concept) in his book and it's been a huge success for the citizens that have access to them.

The problem: By accepting cash only, the insurance companies "coverage" is reduced to ONLY require customers to buy cover for the MAJOR events, which means Dr Paul would remove 70-80% of their profit margins by refusing to deal with them - unless the patient required major (expensive) therapies or surgery.

For the patients, by only having to purchase "enough" ensurance to cover major events, the direct effect would be a stunning reduction in insurance fees and premiums, as the insurance industry would have to start 'catering' to the customers and become competitive - instead of the gov't protected monopolies they enjoy today, which keeps their premiums ridiculously high.

From the regulatory (TORT) perspective, it eliminated large staffing requirements to process all the 'legalise' and documentation and replaced them with minimal staff that coordinates patients for the Dr's and simply hands you a receipt before leaving (that does not exceed $75 - it may be higher now given QE-1 and QE-2's effect on reducing our purchasing power through inflation, and what do you know - the same Dr's are trying to fix that problem as well !!!) and, because the clinics are engaged in mostly minor coverage, there's is a significant reduction in the required "protective insurance" coverage that Dr's are currently required to carry - and pass the cost on to you (us).

Is everyone beginning to see a 'bigger' picture here ? There are solutions other than Obummer care, which is nothing but a take-off of European healthcare and will KILL free market opportunities going forward. The Canadian and Euro systems are gov't controlled monopolies that inhibit creative solutions and competition. Simply put, it's rationing, and our Canadian brothers and sisters - if you're middle-age or beyond - know it...

Again, great discussion and, for those interested in a Physician's perspective on how to fix our healthcase systems in this, and other, countries, it's only ONE chapter in Dr Pauls book and I think most would find it very enlightening.

OK, now all you R's and D's can let me have it, but just remember, I've stated "policy" and the "person" is not what's being discussed here, so let's keep thing in the arena of "ideas" - not persons.

Southernman

Save the politics for the political thread.

...and I can just imagine the tangents Ron Paul could get into as a doctor with a captive audience! lol....

Save the politics for the political thread.

...and I can just imagine the tangents Ron Paul could get into as a doctor with a captive audience! lol....

Nice try Frankie, nothing 'political' about discussing healthcare, in fact, the original posting was...about...healthcare. But then it's hard for all you R and D guys to separate persons from policy isn't it ? In fact, it's the best you guys 'can' do, since you really can't endure a 'policy' based discussion.

MoparO, I apologize if I've given the impression of "hi-jacking" your thread, but the central discussion 'was' about disparaging levels of healthcare and emergency services.

Also Frankie, some of us happen to love 'tangents'. I take mine with a dose of "independent" thinking. It's much more fun that way... How about you ? ~{:>)

But don't worry Frankie, your guy Romney is probably going to 'pull this off', (no pun intended), which I'm sure will help ease your post-election voter remorse... After all, if he's the 'last R standing' maybe we can look to a solution in "Romneycare" - as long as the other side 'loses'. That's all that's important, right ?

Man, I'm enjoying these discussions with youse' guys !

Southernman

Yes we had our limit of walleye to bring home before the stroke....:cheers::cheers:

WAY TO GO mopars0!!!

I never heard of a walleye putting up enough of a fight to bag (stroke) a fisherman!!!

LOL

Glad you are recovering enough to have a fish fry. :cheers:

Also Frankie, some of us happen to love 'tangents'. I take mine with a dose of "independent" thinking. It's much more fun that way... How about you ? ~{:>)

But don't worry Frankie, your guy Romney
Southernman

My guy Romney? When did that happen?

Well not sure about the politics of this post didn't really head in that direction ...:banghead:...but I understand. All I know is they ( medical personal ) get paid more then they're worth if ya ask me. I just wanted people to know what I run into with the insurance stuff. I also believe they all have got greedy and care more about making money then helping the patient. I also know that it's the same for someone coming to the US from another country...I was a electrician for the state and no way did I ever feel that I was worth say $500 for a 1/2 hr of work...just saying

Im saddenned to here that my Canadian bretheren in the east recieve such shoddy service.

Here in the Kooteney region,I have made quite a few trips to the emerg for myself,mother in law,wife,daughter ,son etc etc.

I have never received anything but first rate service on any of those visits. Avg wait time might be 12 minutes. Really efficient and knowledgeable.

I don't know about anybody else but when I go south I ALWAYS buy travel insurance and bump up my liability insurance. For me and mine service at our local hospitals has always been great. When my daughter had her baby this spring they looked after her first class.

Hey Frankie, just a heads up:

If you guys don't stop picking on me, I've got a friend that can bench press more than, probably, both of us put together, but then they don't have to move the weight near as much. I guarantee you've never seen 'pecs' like this before, so don't make me send 'em you way...

[ame="http://youtu.be/VUoXjK3hC68"]http://youtu.be/VUoXjK3hC68[/ame]

Southernman ~{:>)

Well not sure about the politics of this post didn't really head in that direction ...:banghead:...but I understand. All I know is they ( medical personal ) get paid more then they're worth if ya ask me. I just wanted people to know what I run into with the insurance stuff. I also believe they all have got greedy and care more about making money then helping the patient. I also know that it's the same for someone coming to the US from another country...I was a electrician for the state and no way did I ever feel that I was worth say $500 for a 1/2 hr of work...just saying

I agree that medical expenses are more than they should be, but I think you're not looking at the big picture. An hour of your time has to include everything that goes into that hour, plus a profit.
For example: You wages, your benefits (usually 35% to 50% of your wages per hour on straight time), Workman's comp insurances, Commercial liability insurance, the cost per mile of the vehicle you're driving (includes maintenance costs, gas, tires, normal ware and tare), The cost of the equipment on your truck that belongs to the company, a set cost for the company's facilities, utilities, property taxes, payroll taxes, inventory taxes, and so on. There is a lot to add to your salary per hours to be able to put you and your work truck on the road.

There's a couple of other things, too. For example, you, as an employee of the company will get paid for driving to and from a job site, even though for your employer, that's not chargeable time, unless your employer charges portal to portal. If the time is not charged, it's added to the hourly rate they charge for your services.
Did the company pay, or help pay for your training. Many companies do, and even continue to do so over the years. If they did that, it would be another cost added into the hourly rate.

I here people complain about the cost per hour of on site labor all the time. So many don't consider what it costs to put a trained man, with a vehicle, equipment and supplies into the field in today's economy. You can multiply that when you talk about medical personnel, facilities and equipment. The cost of one staffed and equipped emergency room easily goes into 7 figures, and the cost of operation per hour is easily into 4 figures.

Hey Frankie, just a heads up:

If you guys don't stop picking on me, I've got a friend that can bench press more than, probably, both of us put together, but then they don't have to move the weight near as much. I guarantee you've never seen 'pecs' like this before, so don't make me send 'em you way...

http://youtu.be/VUoXjK3hC68

Southernman ~{:>)

I cant stop laughing..GOD thats funny!

Well a little update I'm doing better even getting around without the walker been walking about 1/2 mile & back or bout 3 blocks from house. Eating better but still some problems with my throat ( swallowing ) with solid food but I'm drinking liquids better....slowly

Wife just wrote out 2 checks for $5230 for the damn Canadian hospitals & 2 ambulance rides that they billed my credit cards ...

So now we'll see what my ins company will cover. I know if I get screwed from this they can just rip up my passport because it will be the last trip I take anywhere out of the US

-
Back