-
Status
Not open for further replies.

CARS

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm building a lightweight tear drop trailer for me and the wife to take to the track, shows, events, etc. I need a hitch. Anyone remove one from their car?

I would also even settle for pics of a bolt on A-Body hitch. I can fabricate, but would really like it to look like it's been on there since the late 60's, early 70's. Not a receiver type.

PM me with anything you have!

I'm building a lightweight tear drop trailer for me and the wife to take to the track, shows, events, etc. I need a hitch. Anyone remove one from their car?

I would also even settle for pics of a bolt on A-Body hitch. I can fabricate, but would really like it to look like it's been on there since the late 60's, early 70's. Not a receiver type.

Did you find one yet? I took on eoff a 69 Dart I parted out years ago- not sure it is still buried in the garage somewhere....but willing to look. Let me know

Did you find one yet? I took on eoff a 69 Dart I parted out years ago- not sure it is still buried in the garage somewhere....but willing to look. Let me know

If you can find it, I'll take it. Just PM me with a price and shipping weight. (no big rush to dig it out. Still have a ton of snow on the ground)

CARS,
Nuthin' wrong with putting a hitch on your car !!

P5167718.jpg

How about this set-up??

P52503771.jpg

If you search my username, Autoxcuda and keyword "hitch" I think you find a picture I posted of one a while back (a year ago or so).

i'd put a receiver on it. You don't HAVE to use a 2" receiver, I guess ya know. You should be able to come up with one that's tucked up under there nice 'n tight, and very unnoticeable when removed.

Bigwhip,
Sounds like a deal !!

If my son gets the 750 Kaw turbo back together, I should be up in May for the 2 stroke meet.

Check out the Cream Sickle Dart. He made the license plate flip and a receiver hitch was hiding there

my Dart had one when I bought it. Gave it to my buddy and we were talking the other day and he said he still has it.

It looked like crap on my car but if you want it it is yours for shipping

actually I'm thinking of making a reciever style hitch for my Dart. Want it so it doesn't show much when not being used.

The hard part is the exhaust running right under the frame rails

Junk Yard $40.00
from anything with a 36" frame width. Like a Jeep Cherokee (NOT GRAND)
Good Luck, get the hardware from the junk yard too drill 2 holes, bolts up with 6 bolts, other 4 holes already in frame.

Here is just 1 link but reall good pics of my 67 hitch from junk yard bolt on. I had to re route slightly the exhaust tips to clear. Hit link:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=67514&highlight=hitch
Happy Trailering!!:cheers:

Attachments

• 41 - Copy.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 399
Don't want to hijack this one, but I think a thread about trailer hitches on muscle cars would be great. My 68 GTX 4 speed had a rather stout hitch on it when I bought it. Always wondered what the story was behind that...

It is a photo op site for the motel and also a bike loading ramp so they want to keep it open.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! :cheers:

This is what I had envisioned: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=586987&postcount=15

A receiver may be stronger and may be able to be tucked in enough to be almost invisible. My thinking is that if I am going to have a hitch on my Dart, it should be an old school flat type but as I look at the hitch on that fastback, I am scratching my head. It bolts to the bumper and the spare tire well??? That doesn't seem strong at all.

You guys that have one to offer, could you post a pic and price??

I have a GTS 440 on the rotisserie right now so I can look at it for reference before I remove the bumper on my Dart.

Here's a pic of one that I custom built just for the A-Body frame with no drilling or welding required. It IS a receiver though.

Attachments

• 100_1228-1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 294
FSTFISH 66,
Deals Gap, N.C. US 129 and NC 28 Near Fontana Dam

The overlook is 9 miles west overlooking the Calderwood Dam.

318 curves in 11 miles. If ridden properly, your chicken strips will disappear from your tires.

http://www.dealsgap.com/maps.htm

And you can ride cruisers there, just expect to be passed, even by a Wing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo&feature=related"]YouTube - deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWE1yvD9s8&feature=related"]YouTube - Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap[/ame]

On my 69 Dart, I put a hitch off the bumper - the type with a flat bar. You must drill a few holes in the bumper behind the license plate. My bumper was already bent from an accident, so didn't care. However, I wouldn't advise that type and I don't see them in stores any more (25 yrs ago).

On my 65 Newport I have a hitch with a 1-1/4" receiver (3500 lb). That is probably big enough for your tear-drop trailer and would barely be visible from the rear. I bought new at K-mart or such (~1995). It is a "one size fits all", with telescoping square tubes that bolt to the sub-frame (drill holes), on each side of the gas tank, powder-coated. The receiver is so far forward of the bumper that I need an extender to attach a bike carrier. You could probably do cheaper and better by adapting an existing one from the junkyard, as in prior posts.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! :cheers:

This is what I had envisioned: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=586987&postcount=15

A receiver may be stronger and may be able to be tucked in enough to be almost invisible. My thinking is that if I am going to have a hitch on my Dart, it should be an old school flat type but as I look at the hitch on that fastback, I am scratching my head. It bolts to the bumper and the spare tire well??? That doesn't seem strong at all.

You guys that have one to offer, could you post a pic and price??

I have a GTS 440 on the rotisserie right now so I can look at it for reference before I remove the bumper on my Dart.

If it wasn't so easy and looked so good I wouldn't have done it. Who wants MORE holes in their spare tire well? Not Me! LOL!!:toothy10:

$40.00 JUNK YARD HARDWARE INCLUDED
Take off Jeep Cherokee NOT A GRAND CHEROKEE!
Fram rails approx 36" wide, you need approx 2" drop.

Check this close, very easy, cheap, and when I sold BOF (67 Dart 270 4 door), the new owner didn't want it so I bought it back, unbolted right there, no damage to bumper or spare tire well!

Just Drill (OH CRAP NOT THAT) 1 extra hole in each frame rail, the other 2 holes are already on your Darts frame rails!!!

If it wasn't cheap, easy, easy to get, and cool looking, why would you want to do it? Besidess you can also change your balls...If Ya Know What I Mean Bada Bing!!:cheers: But ya can't change the holes in your bumper!
When I removed for the new owner, looked good as new!

It was so easy and cheap it jumped on the car by itself!8)

I'll do another install thread using the same hitch and hardware when I reinstall on Lump our 74 Dart!
Hey maybe I can do that this weekend!!

Sorry, no rant but wanted to make sure you got some good pics of it so I went back to DVD archives and pulled up pics for ya.
If ya go another way Thats cool too. Not everyone is as weird as me! LOL!

Good luck and keep us posted on progress!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 7.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 41 - Copy.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 25.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 19.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 266
  • 20.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 259
  • 21.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 261
  • hitch pics 67 013.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 244
  • hitch pics 67 012.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 226
  • hitch pics 67 011.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 235
I got one from my 67 Barracuda original equipment, the car is gone but I still have the hitch. Shoot me a PM if you still need one.

I have a home made hitch i had on my 68 for parades it bolts right to the bumper brackets behind the bumper then it is a fixed hitch with out a reciever. I'll take $35 for it shipped if interested
View attachment 216992

View attachment 216993

here are pix of the home hitch i was talking about
these pix also show where it bolts up it is all steel
View attachment DSCF2330.jpg

View attachment DSCF2331.jpg

View attachment DSCF2332.jpg

View attachment DSCF2333.jpg

View attachment DSCF2334.jpg

View attachment DSCF2335.jpg

View attachment DSCF2336.jpg

View attachment DSCF2337.jpg