Don't sucker yourself in to buying someone else project

-
Title should have been "Look how far ahead you can get if you buy someone elses project".

Seriously...you Cali guys are spoiled, 3k for that is a steal compared to here in the midwest.

Amen to that. I found so much rust in my car I've contemplated parting the damn thing out. It should have gone to the junk yard before someone decided to try and do a half arse job saving it. Now I've probably already spent what you want to have in your car all togther on top of what I paid for it. Lessons learned!

Wow! Been over six months since I really did any work on the Dart. Time to get at it again. Sand blasted engine bay and shot some primer and paint. The paint I had left over from another project not a perfect match but close enough to make me happy. I didn't lay down the paint very smooth, looks factory Lol... Really it is fine for this car and beats the heck out of a spray paint job or Chevy black.

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 034.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 690
  • 1972 Dart 035.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 686
  • 1972 Dart 040.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 701
This one just came here done. And everything needs to be redone do to some real shitty work.

Attachments

• DSCN0903.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 651
  • DSCN0904.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 657
Hey, look on the bright side, you got to go through it, and you know what went into it, and know she's done right when your done. Good job!

So here comes the fun part installing the engine. You guys are probably thinking I'm crazy, but putting in the stock 318 from the parts car. It's all resealed, new timing chain, and painted pretty. Also installing the power steering and power brakes. Almost like a restoration I guess with some wheel and suspension up grades.

I installed the engine, trans, and front suspension from the bottom for the first time in my life. That was pretty simple and easy. Used three Harbor Freight furniture dolly's to roll around the engine, trans, and front suspension around. Used the cherry picker and strap to front bumper brackets to pick up the front of the car high enough to roll the engine under. Lowered the car down and installed the four K member bolts and trans cross member bolts and I was done start to finish in less than an hour.

Now I'm excited to get the front wheels on to see if they fit without rubbing. They are 18" X 9" based on what I have researched here they should work with possible only minor rubbing at close to full lock.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up my mess and regrouping from the last couple weeks. :D

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 043.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 1972 Dart 014.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 634
  • 1972 Dart 042.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 626
This one just came here done. And everything needs to be redone do to some real shitty work.

Lol, I bought one done about 3 Mos ago and I just got it back on the road after a whole crap load of work I had to do to it. I guess there is a Disease out there that is spreading Shitty work like the Plague! Lol

So here comes the fun part installing the engine. You guys are probably thinking I'm crazy, but putting in the stock 318 from the parts car. It's all resealed, new timing chain, and painted pretty. Also installing the power steering and power brakes. Almost like a restoration I guess with some wheel and suspension up grades.

I installed the engine, trans, and front suspension from the bottom for the first time in my life. That was pretty simple and easy. Used three Harbor Freight furniture dolly's to roll around the engine, trans, and front suspension around. Used the cherry picker and strap to front bumper brackets to pick up the front of the car high enough to roll the engine under. Lowered the car down and installed the four K member bolts and trans cross member bolts and I was done start to finish in less than an hour.

Now I'm excited to get the front wheels on to see if they fit without rubbing. They are 18" X 9" based on what I have researched here they should work with possible only minor rubbing at close to full lock.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up my mess and regrouping from the last couple weeks. :D

Real nice work! Shouldn't be long now!!

Back on the wheels and tires for the first time since it arrived so I can roll it around. Happy with the way the Mustang replica wheels fit. Tried getting the tallest and widest tires for more sidewall. Fronts are a 245-40-18 tires about 25.5" tall and the rear is a 285-40-18 about 27" tall. Think that helps the looks when going with the bigger wheels.

I think the front may need to be lowered a little more. Already just about touching the bump stops. :D

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 045.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 609
  • 1972 Dart 048.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 611
  • 1972 Dart 050.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 644
Are you going to use headers or manifolds?

I was going to put on some headers I bought from Rob here on the board. But I was not able to get the studs out of the heads for the exhaust manifolds. Tried heat and everything, rather than break them off and drilling them out. I'm thinking about just putting on the manifolds again and saving the headers for a engine upgrade at a later date.

I'm still plugging away at this thing. Getting close and now my other work like yard work and home maintenance is starting to suffer. Going to try and fire the motor up tomorrow. Then waiting for a caliper rebuild kit and need some brake hoses. Here's the motor in the parts car and transplanted in the Dart.

I will say paint makes a big difference, but damn it's a lot of work cleaning and painting and in some cases rebuilding parts. Very time consuming.

Better keep a running tab on this before I start forgetting
$1,500 72 Dart body no engine, trans, brakes, or front suspension
$600 Running 74 Valiant 4 door parts car
$600 Rims
$300 Moog ball joints, bushings front end rebuild
$160 used tires
$120 11-3/4" Rotors
$100 11-3/4" Slider brackets Dr Diff
$75 Machine on rotor hubs for Mustang wheels to fit
$38 Wheel bearings and seals Dr Diff
$100 Misc supplies from auto parts store.
$170 For steering wheel and two adapters (first one didn't fit)
$80 For 71 Dart grill parts two headlight sections
$100 used 1.03 PST torsion bars
$75 Braided brake hoses front and rear plus hardware
$4,018.00 sub total

Attachments

• 74 valiant 019.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 489
  • getting close (Small).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 486
Wanted one of those wood grain looking Rim Blow steering wheels. All the originals need repair or are big bucks. So I bought this wheel to get me going, it's starting to grow on me even though I don't think they ever came on "A" bodies.

Attachments

• steering wheel.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 489
Steering wheel looks great. I know what you mean by other chores getting neglected around the house. Hope to see video of it running soon.

Ian

I hear what you are saying. My 74 was someone else's project. Starter was cooked and I got it started to get it on the trailer...could hear a little tick in the engine....the rest is in the thread. For the $1200 I spent on the car I wasn't too upset when a lack of break in oil by the owner let me with a V8 running on 6 with some wiped cam lobes. Instead of dumping money in the 318 I opted for a 360. I am in NC and there are more projects to be had than you can do, problem is everyone thinks they are worth a fortune. Looks great! Keep up the good work.

Fired up the engine, not to exciting, about what you would expect from a stock 318. It does run though with no leaks. Hope to get the brakes in working order by next weekend. Im hoping for a test drive by the end of the month. Hesitant on setting a deadline as I have blew past a few already on this car. :D

-
Back