door locks will not lock

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
when i lock my doors on my 68 dart. I can open the door from the outside door handle. Just by pushing in the button. I just installed new aftermarket locks. They look like they only go in one way.any of you guys ever have this happen? Thanks

for many years Chry' wouldn't let you lock the door and close it, so you couldn't lock up with the keys inside.
there is a simple way to mod the latch mechanism but getting it out of the door isn't so simple.

my dart did this when I first got it. there is a tab on the latch assy that moves when the key is turned to lock. mine was bent out of the way for some reason, bent it back and locks work perfectly.

my dart did this when I first got it. there is a tab on the latch assy that moves when the key is turned to lock. mine was bent out of the way for some reason, bent it back and locks work perfectly.

Do hou have to take the latch out? Or can you reach with the door panel off? Thanks

I did say it wasn't simple. The latch mechanism has to go to the workbench.
The rearward glass guide and all the linkages are between you and the latch mechanism.

Here are some pics I just shot. these are from my '72 scamp, same door latches. sorry but I had to turn the camera sideways to get the shot ... not sure if this is your problem, but its what was wrong with mine.hope this helps....

sorry just realized how small the words are on the pictures ! top pic is unlocked, bottom is locked. the 2 tabs must touch when locked, and the outside button pushed or else the door will continue to be opened as if it were unlocked. and like said before, the door can only be locked after exiting car buy using the key. if not it will unlock once the door is closed....

Attachments

• UNLOCK.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 285
  • LOCK.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 263
OK, Maybe one could reach in the door and bend that lock blocking finger. That's just not how I do things. If parts should decide to move somewhere besides where the bend is intended it could screw up some other function of the latch.
I'll take it out so I can do exactly what I attempt ( remove the finger with a die grinder, clean and lubricate the assembly, happy moparing.
Having a door unexpectedly open is not happy moparing.

remove the finger with a die grinder, clean and lubricate the assembly, happy moparing.
Having a door unexpectedly open is not happy moparing.

why would you remove the finger? then the door will never lock !! ... and how would the door unexpectedly open ?? just curious ..

Here are some pics I just shot. these are from my '72 scamp, same door latches. sorry but I had to turn the camera sideways to get the shot ... not sure if this is your problem, but its what was wrong with mine.hope this helps....

sorry just realized how small the words are on the pictures ! top pic is unlocked, bottom is locked. the 2 tabs must touch when locked, and the outside button pushed or else the door will continue to be opened as if it were unlocked. and like said before, the door can only be locked after exiting car buy using the key. if not it will unlock once the door is closed....

Thanks for the info i will look at that today.

Yep,, I really like the "can't lock your keys in feature"..

A day at the beach was always entertaining, watching and laughing at the Pherd, and chubbie guys with their coat hangers...

why would you remove the finger? then the door will never lock !! ... and how would the door unexpectedly open ?? just curious ..
The finger blocks the lock. I guess the best advise is find a pic of later model latch mechanism to compare. That finger was deleted.

Did you fix your lock problem. Having the same issue with my Duster

I just ran into the same problem when replacing driver side latch on my 73' Duster. I actually had to do some blacksmithing to get my donor latch to work as it had a ball stud and metal retainer for the outside door button rod attachment and it was missing the little slider arm for the inside door lock button which has a big mushroom rivet I had to grind down, drive out and then weld onto the replacement latch. Must have been an earlier door latch because even after swapping the missing parts from my original latch and drilling out some holes for my plastic rod retainers which were different I can only lock my car from outside with the key or from inside when the door is closed. I suspected this was normal for pre 73 models as the latch works perfectly.

One of the latch bodies had a hole behind the latch hook and the other didn't, that must be one of the tip offs to different model year or front versus rear latch on a four door. Who knows, but as always it can be made to fit.

I like the lock it from outside Frank Bullet style which means I never have to reach under the front bumper for the spare key again. I consider this an un-intended upgrade.

Funny how almost every part I have bought at a swap meet had to be made to fit. How many running year and model to model changes did this company make on the same basic part? I was hoping the law of averages would catch up and eventually something would end up being a bolt on part. Another 45 minute job that took all day.

-
Back